• ...and so much more!
  • Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Most of my presentation are inland - Milwaukee, Indiana, Illinois, Tennessee - for which I am well paid. You apparently aren't familiar with the importance of the Mississippi Squadron to the US victory if you think only the coasts were important to the Navy.

As stated, it was out of curiosity and a serious question. I honestly don't know much about the naval engagements (or many others, for that matter) of the Civil War or their relative import to the outcome; you'll notice my comments didn't pertain to the facts of the war itself ;)

Congratulations on being well paid.

And I am doing the reaearch for those presentations myself - I go to original sources (such as the Articles of Secession and period internal Navy documents) for my information, not later revisionist writings.
    My degree is for natural AND historical interpretation. My job is to take obscure or complicated information and make it undrestandable to the general public, and that includes historical information. The peole who attend my presentations don't seem to care about history degrees - they just know the presentation is entertaining and accurate.

Having this additional detail certainly changes my understanding. Having only your assertion that being paid to make the presentations made you a professional historian, along with your CV and professional profile (which makes details little of the historical aspect of your work), the above was a reasonable conclusion.

I stand corrected and better informed.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    As stated, it was out of curiosity and a serious question. I honestly don't know much about the naval engagements (or many others, for that matter) of the Civil War or their relative import to the outcome; you'll notice my comments didn't pertain to the facts of the war itself ;)

Congratulations on being well paid.

Having this additional detail certainly changes my understanding. Having only your assertion that being paid to make the presentations made you a professional historian, along with your CV and professional profile (which makes details little of the historical aspect of your work), the above was a reasonable conclusion.

I stand corrected and better informed.
    Thank you for you civilized and gracious attitude.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    As I've posted here before, to say that the Civil War wasn't about slavery is as simplistic as saying it was only about slavery.

As someone pointed out, read what the individual states gave as reasons for secession and it's impossible to deny that the preservation of slavery was a main reason.

Those of you who say it's about state's rights only, I ask you this. How can the people of a state have a "right" to enslave other human beings?

Even the supposed "sovereignty" and "states' rights" rhetoric was a smokescreen for preserving slavery. The South absolutely abhorred states' rights when it was the Northern states refusing to enforce, or allowing enforcement within their borders, of the Fugitive Slave Act. The South demanded federal action to punish those exercises of "states' rights."

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Even the supposed "sovereignty" and "states' rights" rhetoric was a smokescreen for preserving slavery. The South absolutely abhorred states' rights when it was the Northern states refusing to enforce, or allowing enforcement within their borders, of the Fugitive Slave Act. The South demanded federal action to punish those exercises of "states' rights."

That is a most excellent point.

For a while, I got caught up in the libertarian view about the South's states' rights. Going a bit deeper, though, and you have to acknowledge that since you can't have the right to own another person's labor by force, those states "rights" were trumped by the individual rights of the enslaved people.

Now, I DO think that the Constitution intended that a state could secede. That complicates the justification for the war. I think that if the Northern states had been going to war to free the enslaved Africans it would have been for a justified reason.

Plenty of ugliness to go around. Lincoln was no friend of freedom, though he was an interesting man and a genius, and "great" in his abilities if not his motivations.

dreingar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Yeah, hard to beat ol' Hickory Stick (go back to school and re-take history if you said "who?")

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    Hey, don't jack a thread that's already been jacked! That's a jackback, and it's totally unacceptable.:D
    My only hopefully helpful contribution is to acknowledge that Jackson was a genocidal dick, but he knew the clear bigger picture destructive forces of our future, even then.

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    I use to be fond of T. Roosevelt and Lincoln until I learned a little more about their history. I was really disappointed to learn Lincoln had troops fire on the protesters (rioters) in New York that were protesting.

I also wonder why the president is blamed for the deficit while the legislative branch's has much more involvement and their contribution is overlooked.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Washington
    He had to do it from scratch , hold a new country together long enough for it to work it's self in to running and deal with one third of the people that did not like the patriots .

uh... he had to do it from scratch?

That would be John Hanson, the 1st President

There were 7 Presidents prior to Washington, who was the 1st under the Constitution.

Does everyone think the Constitution magically happened right after the war?

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Yeah, hard to beat ol' Hickory Stick (go back to school and re-take history if you said "who?")

It was just Ol' Hickory... the "Stick" wasn't a part of his nickname.

You know who was better? Young Hickory.

If you just said, "Who?" Go back to school and re-take history.

^.^

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    King Abraham the Tyrant

Lincoln fans: Are you aware that President Lincoln arrested (and sometimes executed) tens of thousands of his political opponents in the North? Free speech...? Not so much under "Honest Abe."

He arrested journalists, newspaper editors, even congressmen! Lincoln arrested dozens of legislators from the Maryland State Congress, the Mayor of Baltimore, and Congressman Henry May of Baltimore.

He arrested high profile people such as U.S. Congressman Clement L. Vallandigham of Ohio, in the middle of the night using dozens of federal soldiers. Vallandigham was abducted and thrown into a military prison without due process, and later deported.

Lincoln also wrote up an arrest warrant for the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, Roger Taney, after he wrote an unfavorable opinion about Lincoln's illegal suspension of habeas corpus.

Lincoln started a war without consent of Congress.

He quartered soldiers inside private homes.

He set horrific precedents of expansive Federal power.

He shut down hundreds of newspapers and censored speech on the telegraph.

He advocated that blacks be deported back to Africa or Haiti, anywhere but left free to roam the USA.

He declared martial law and confiscated firearms from private citizens.

More Americans died in the the Civil war than in both World Wars.

His legacy will live in infamy.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS.

Lincolntyrant-e1279720390792.jpg

Last edited:

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Lincoln fans: Are you aware that President Lincoln arrested (and sometimes executed) tens of thousands of his political opponents in the North? Free speech...? Not so much under "Honest Abe."

He arrested journalists, newspaper editors, even congressmen! Lincoln arrested dozens of legislators from the Maryland State Congress, the Mayor of Baltimore, and Congressman Henry May of Baltimore.

He arrested high profile people such as U.S. Congressman Clement L. Vallandigham of Ohio, in the middle of the night using dozens of federal soldiers. Vallandigham was abducted and thrown into a military prison without due process, and later deported.

Lincoln also wrote up an arrest warrant for the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, Roger Taney, after he wrote an unfavorable opinion about Lincoln's illegal suspension of habeas corpus.

Lincoln started a war without consent of Congress.

He quartered soldiers inside private homes.

He set horrific precedents of expansive Federal power.

He shut down hundreds of newspapers and censored speech on the telegraph.

He advocated that blacks be deported back to Africa or Haiti, anywhere but left free to roam the USA.

He declared martial law and confiscated firearms from private citizens.

More Americans died in the the Civil war than in both World Wars.

His legacy will live in infamy.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS.

Lincolntyrant-e1279720390792.jpg

Deo Vindice!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    uh... he had to do it from scratch?

That would be John Hanson, the 1st President

There were 7 Presidents prior to Washington, who was the 1st under the Constitution.

Does everyone think the Constitution magically happened right after the war?

:): come on man, you see the same idiots day to day as I do. of coarse they think that. just like most people think the declaration of independence was signed in one day in the same room ... like the painting shows :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom