churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got it.

Seriously, it is hard to have a discussion about the world we now live in without the discussion going into those areas. To completely eliminate them is not the right thing to do.
    That said, there are those among us that do not have the proper filters in place (PC) to enter into these discussions and hold any acceptable line. It often gives me pause when I read some of the insane crap these folks post up and it is always to incite mayhem and riot. Their home life must be a few notches off center.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Got it.

Seriously, it is hard to have a discussion about the world we now live in without the discussion going into those areas. To completely eliminate them is not the right thing to do.
    That said, there are those among us that do not have the proper filters in place (PC) to enter into these discussions and hold any acceptable line. It often gives me pause when I read some of the insane crap these folks post up and it is always to incite mayhem and riot. Their home life must be a few notches off center.
    And this is why we call it the "big scary"!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Got it.

It would be nice if we could discuss everything and have the mods delete posts that cross the "acceptable" line. But then it would take an army of mods to read every post.

Religion and race are just the kind of subjects that brings out language from people who don't have the filters. I guess because of the inevitability of some subjects to get nasty, they're forbidden.

I'm not convinced that most of those posters do it purposely to incite mayhem. Thinking of some of the things that get billt in trouble, for example, I think he would probably say the same things in person.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Got it.

Apparently, with all the discussion of what is happening in the Middle East, the mods have a invigorated interest in holding the line on religious discussions...to wit:

Originally Posted by PaulF
    Posting about religion will get you banned from INGO. Period.

Ignoring (or arguing with) a moderator's warning will also get you banned from INGO. Period.

Here's a really simple procedure to follow if you want to avoid the Banhammer:
    1) Don't post anything religious in nature to INGO.
    2) See step 1.

I have issued enough warnings about religion to people with post counts in the thousands to see that this isn't ignorance of the rules, these are intentional violations of the rules. The FIVE rules we have here.

So, in short...no more warnings, no wiggle room, no "benefit of the doubt". Post religious content of any type to INGO and risk being banned...without additional warning, even for your "first offense".

We are not kidding about this.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Apparently, with all the discussion of what is happening in the Middle East, the mods have a invigorated interest in holding the line on religious discussions...to wit:

I read that up thread.
    Is not that insanity in the sand box just being misdirected through those who say they are spiritual leaders. Not trying to set off another fire storm but simply put, thugs pushing simple people through a belief system.

If this pushes the line set by the mods I apologize and please remove the post.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Apparently, with all the discussion of what is happening in the Middle East, the mods have a invigorated interest in holding the line on religious discussions...

How about a private subforum for mature members to discuss world topics. Sign a damn waiver or something beforehand saying you're a big boy/girl and have no problem hearing the words that describe some of the religions in the world. Maybe even remove word censoring, because seeing naughty words also doesn't make me cry on the internet.

A mature subforum to discuss serious topics and breaking news, without having to tiptoe around hurting someone else's feelings. Put a big ol' warning up on the page before it lets you read any of it. Let the users moderate themselves in there.

Assuming I continue to be a "site supporter" after this one expires - Redirect my money into the 5-10 minutes it'd take to make such a subforum... because I'd love to discuss worldly topics here on INGO, important news and such. Things are going on, things that need to be talked about without having to double-triple check what you typed to make sure no ones feelings are hurt.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How about a private subforum for mature members to discuss world topics. Sign a damn waiver or something beforehand saying you're a big boy/girl and have no problem hearing the words that describe some of the religions in the world. Maybe even remove word censoring, because seeing naughty words also doesn't make me cry on the internet.

A mature subforum to discuss serious topics and breaking news, without having to tiptoe around hurting someone else's feelings. Put a big ol' warning up on the page before it lets you read any of it. Let the users moderate themselves in there.

That would have to be password limited so the lurking general public and advertisers would not get panties twisted up in a knot. It could not be open viewing.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Also, who gets to decide who is an adult? I'm thinking opinions would differ.

The user themselves. I'm mostly being sarcastic, because most of us are adults and capable of reading words without getting wound up... But users can volunteer to enter such a "mature" subforum (restricted to registered users, or flagged users) where discussions about breaking news and world events would be allowed. Including the religion/race/etc portions of the topic. It'd be mostly religion, though. Race is rarely an issue. The events in the middle east are just too based on religion to tiptoe around it all the time. You don't even have to bash religion to discuss it. Even labeling who's doing it and what they believe is too much for this forum at times.

Wishful thinking, though. I know the admins don't want religion/race discussions simply because they can get hairy and cross lines. That's understandable... but I think there should be better judgement calls on instabans without warning when the discussion is relevant to current events.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Assuming I continue to be a "site supporter" after this one expires - Redirect my money into the 5-10 minutes it'd take to make such a subforum... because I'd love to discuss worldly topics here on INGO, important news and such. Things are going on, things that need to be talked about without having to double-triple check what you typed to make sure no ones feelings are hurt.

Unless I'm mistaken, the admin/mods have never had a problem with linking to other forums?
    Use your Google, I'm betting there are other forums out there like you are seeking. Here is a competition shooting related one fairly famous for their juvenile language: Invision Power Board

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Unless I'm mistaken, the admin/mods have never had a problem with linking to other forums?
    Use your Google, I'm betting there are other forums out there like you are seeking. Here is a competition shooting related one fairly famous for their 12 year old talk: Invision Power Board

I don't want to talk about current events with those people. I want to talk about them with INGO'ers.

I get plenty of political discussion through Twitter. But I've invested time in the INGO community.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom