• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I know the majority here believe that a shotgun is the best choice for a home defense weapon. But I'm curious on the number here who uses an AR15 for home defense instead. If you look at the AR show and tell thread, there are LOTS of AR's that were built for combat.

So, who uses the AR15 for home defense?

Why would you choose the AR for home defense over a shotgun?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I know the majority here believe that a shotgun is the best choice for a home defense weapon. But I'm curious on the number here who uses an AR15 for home defense instead. If you look at the AR show and tell thread, there are LOTS of AR's that were built for combat.

So, who uses the AR15 for home defense?

Why would you choose the AR for home defense over a shotgun?

I don't currently have an AR, but one is in the works very soon. Absolutely my choice for self defense.

First, after years in the Army, I'm used to it. I'm more comfortable with a rifle than a shotgun. Lower recoil for quicker follow up shots. At self defense distances, a shotgun's accuracy forgiveness is negligible. Capacity is greater. If I have to make an accurate shot, like shoot over a loved one's head, I trust an AR I've sighted in. If I have to fight outside, my distance increases.

Right now my goto weapon is 9mm carbine.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Although I own multiple AR's & AK's my HD/SHTF gun is my Mossberg 590A1, the magazine & tube I keep loaded with Federal LEO reduced recoil 00 buck w/Remington Sluggers on standby in it's Speed Feed stock.

The reasons are 4 fold, first off 00 buck is simply devastating, secondly I live in a residential area & over penetration &/or errant rounds leaving my property is a serious concern, third if I do ever have to use it I would rather it sit in an evidence locker rather than a more expensive firearm, lastly if I am ever forced to defend my actions in a court of law a shotgun would be far less "scary looking" to a jury.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    An AR makes perfectly good sense as a home defense weapon. One of the main reasons is the reduced chance of over penetration.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    Although I own multiple AR's & AK's my HD/SHTF gun is my Mossberg 590A1, the magazine & tube I keep loaded with Federal LEO reduced recoil 00 buck w/Remington Sluggers on standby in it's Speed Feed stock.

The reasons are 4 fold, first off 00 buck is simply devastating, secondly I live in a residential area & over penetration &/or errant rounds leaving my property is a serious concern, third if I do ever have to use it I would rather it sit in an evidence locker rather than a more expensive firearm, lastly if I am ever forced to defend my actions in a court of law a shotgun would be far less "scary looking" to a jury.

You are a prepared man.

First 2 points I agree with. 3rd, well my shotgun is a benelli m1, while not the most expensive gun in my collection its definately not the cheapest. 4 id say the intimidation factor of my ar15 and benelli are about equal (pistol grip and A2 stock)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I chose the shotty over the AR for a couple fairly simple reasons.

The biggest was COST! My 870 Tactical cost just over $300, and it's a nearly perfect gun for home defense.

The other was versatility. The 870 is not only an awesome close range fighting gun, with slugs it's reach is considerably extended. It's a fantastic hunting gun, giving the ability to hunt small game, medium to large game, and birds. SHTF, it provides a one gun solution to most needs. It's darn near maintenance free if need be, and darn near indestructible.

OTOH, the AR offers more precise accuracy, longer range if you need that on your property, reduced recoil, and easier handling for those, like my wife, that find the shotty unpleasant to shoot and practice with. Heck, she doesn't even like the 20 gauge.

I'll be building an AR soon, and when we aren't on the range it'll be my wife's house gun until she helps me build her own.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    My grab and go weapon is my Mossberg 500, but I also have a PLR-16 that I'd use if I needed the rounds...seeing as how the mossy only holds 5 plus 1. I like having a stock, as well.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    When I'm sweeping the house it's the glock generally, mostly because of availability issues and maneuverability.

If I'm headed outside to investigate something in the immediate vicinity of the house (noise @ window/vehicles) it's a mix of the 870 or the Glock, depends on how quick I'm trying to get out the door and whether I'm worried about speed once I'm there. One of these day's I'll get my "SHTF" vest built and have a full time sidearm assigned to it. When that happens it will be throw on the vest and grab the 870 and I'm prepared for whatever may lie outside.

If I were in a Katrina like situation where I had to defend my family and home from the rooftop (or other tactically superior position) from looters, I'd be up top with the AK ( I don't currently have an AR but I'm not sure I'd switch to the AR if I did considering the AK can take a crapload of abuse and doesnt require perfect cleaning/lube to function) + sidearm and the wife would be inside with the 870 loaded with 00Buck pointed at the door.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My AR15 is sitting right by the door, but that's for varmits. There's also a .22lr by each door for the same reason. It's possible that should an intruder break in I may have just armed him, but we have plenty of firepower and homefield advantage, and in the 20 years I've had the place I've dispatched countless varmits and never had a 2 legged one break in. Head of the bed has a Glock 21 with light, and an EAA Witness in 10mm both of which live there.

In the shop I have a shotgun which live right near where I work all of the time, and a smaller pistol which lives right at the machine at my hand.

Zephri

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    Indianapolis, Northside.
    I do.

Out of the 2 longs that I own it's the better choice.
    I have a .22lr bolt rifle and the Ar.

I honestly sold my other long guns since I got tired of lugging 6-7 guns to the range and getting no real one on one experience with any of them, this way I get the most training with one rifle.

As a bonus I also save money on ammo, more for the ar which means more:ar15: time.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    As I live in the suburbs in a 1,200sqft single-story home, I prefer a handgun (G19) for home defense. It's the gun I've trained with the most, and the one I'm most comfortable with.

It also allows me to maneuver quickly and still be able to go hands-on with the BG or my wife/kids if I need to (ever tried to maneuver or shoot an AR or shotgun while holding a child?).

However, I do keep my 16" AR at the ready, just in case the situation dictates its use (like if I was able to barricade myself/family).

If my house or property was larger, or arranged differently, I wouldn't hesitate to make the AR my primary.

I do prefer the AR system to a shotgun, however. This is due to ammo capacity, overall accuracy, and the fact that I've not trained with a shotgun enough to be comfortable with it.

Schwartzki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    While I dont have a AR build yet (next on the list) my Mossberg 500 would not be my choice for home defense nor would a AR.

Since I live in an apt, my goto is my main CC which is a Glock 26. Its loaded with 5rnds of Safety Slugs(so I dont go thru the wall into my neighbors apts) followed by HydraShok. The gun near my workstation is a 1911A1 which also has the safety slugs followed by HydraShok.

In a natural disaster, if I had time I would have all my weapons/mags/lights/knife on me.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Its loaded with 5rnds of Safety Slugs(so I dont go thru the wall into my neighbors apts) followed by HydraShok. The gun near my workstation is a 1911A1 which also has the safety slugs followed by HydraShok.

Not to threadjack entirely, but I'm curious about your reasoning for loading 2 separate types of ammo. What if your 6th shot is errant? Why not just accept the pros and cons of each type and stick with one or the other?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Not to threadjack entirely, but I'm curious about your reasoning for loading 2 separate types of ammo. What if your 6th shot is errant? Why not just accept the pros and cons of each type and stick with one or the other?

i usually carry 2 types of ammo- a good SD JHP round in the gun and FMJ in my backup mags. maybe i'm crazy, but i figure that if i'm going to need 2 extra glock mags, then FMJ wont make much of a difference.

i know there are arguments against doing this, but that's how i roll.

oh yeah, and i'm a cheapskate and don't won't to shell out $60 for 3 mags worth of Winchester Bonded. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

sti38super

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Seymour
    The barrell of a 12 guage looks a lot more scary than a 22 barrell. Shot guns scare people when the look down the bore!!!

Last edited:

Schwartzki

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne

That is very good reasoning, however the safety slugs are expensive the store I bought them from only had 1 of them and only come in 5 rounds, I would rather have the extra 5 rounds then nothing after the safety slugs.

infebious

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    i myself use an combo mix of ak, shotgun, and pistol. I have a friend who used a shotgun and now has an ar. it is very customized, i am thinking about getting one...

Top Bottom