Who should be prevented from buying a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HARVEYtheDAMNED

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    It really depends on what you want to do.

Do you err on the side of caution? And deny perfectly capable people from owning a firearm guaranteed by our rights?

Or do you err on the other side? Where people who probably shouldn't have firearms acquire them, and commit crimes with them?

To me, it's the first option, no brainer. I understand that people want to keep firearms out of the hands of people who will do harm to the public with them, but as we can see by such great cities as Chicago and D.C., the second option does not work, at least not near as well as it should.

Criminals are criminals, they don't buy guns legally. So why make them illegal?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The 2A is perfectly clear. I will submit that times have change and the maturity level of teenagers has deteriorated enough over time that I can agree that you need to be 18 to purchase a firearm. Otherwise, there should not be restricts. I hear the mental illness and developmentally disable argument all the time. It seems like people think that every one of these people are going to run out, buy guns, and shoot someone. I doubt it. The reality is that most of these people won't. Sure a small minority will. But that happens anyway.

Everyone has the right to self defense, period. There are no exclusions.

Perhaps us treating teenagers like helpless children with no responsibility for their actions is the cause and not the other way around. :twocents:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    You're thick Ted, the Compact AND STATES' INTERNAL LAWS. The UCC also has nothing to do with "full, faith and credit." It's a model code that states can enact or not. It's an easy way for states to harmonize laws, but they don't have to, and was drawn up by the ALI and NCCUSL to provide common law concepts in statute. I already pointed out the Indiana Code section that exempts holders of foreign states' operator licenses from having an Indiana license. Other states have similar laws. How much spoon feeding does it take?

As I clearly pointed out, the Compact isn't applicable to your argument. You certainly didn't acknowledge that I was correct......and I do know that Indiana does exempt non resident drivers that are licensed to operate a motor vehicle....though is that true of all states?

So now that you have gone so far, why don't you inform everyone of the meaning of full faith and credit, and what is it applicable?

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Oh, it's this thread again.

No free person whom has reached the age of majority should be restricted from purchasing any object for which they are physically capable of engaging in commerce via purchase, trade, or barter with a mutually agreeable party.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    As I clearly pointed out, the Compact isn't applicable to your argument. You certainly didn't acknowledge that I was correct......and I do know that Indiana does exempt non resident drivers that are licensed to operate a motor vehicle....though is that true of all states?

So now that you have gone so far, why don't you inform everyone of the meaning of full faith and credit, and what is it applicable?

Chrissakes, pay attention, I already explained it, Ted. The compact gives effect to other states' traffic violations in each state of the compact so yes it's applicable, Ted. They wouldn't need the compact at all if FF&C worked like you think, THAT'S WHY IT IS A "DRIVERS LICENSE COMPACT." . The only thing FF&C does is establish comity that all states must believe that other states took the action they say they did. Each state DOES NOT have to give it effect in their own state. I would love FF&C to act like you think it does then I wouldn't have to obtain a separate law license in each state I wish to practice, but it doesn't. To give effect to other states traffic violations in sister states and apply those violations states joined the compact. To allow other states' drivers to drive in their state, each state enacted law for such. Where the nonsense about the UCC fits in is anyone's guess. Why this is such a hard subject for you is something you'll have to sort out. This is like trying to explain gun stuff to a Hollywood celebrity.

IAALBNYL

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

No free person whom has reached the age of majority should be restricted from purchasing any object for which they are physically capable of engaging in commerce via purchase, trade, or barter with a mutually agreeable party.

Why gun owners constantly see the need to negotiate away their rights to appease those who will never be satisfied is mystifying.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The only thing FF&C does is establish comity that all states must believe that other states took the action they say they did. Each state DOES NOT have to give it effect in their own state.

You mean to tell me that as I am a Kentucky Colonel that my rank means nothing here in Indiana under Full Faith and Credit as it so obviously says in the Constitution.

I mean just the other day I put on a white suit and carried a cane around and gave people orders as Indiana gives full faith and credit to my command authority.

I am thinking of adding epaulets and a bicorn hat (too much?).

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    You mean to tell me that as I am a Kentucky Colonel that my rank means nothing here in Indiana under Full Faith and Credit as it so obviously says in the Constitution.

I mean just the other day I put on a white suit and carried a cane around and gave people orders as Indiana gives full faith and credit to my command authority.

I want chicken now.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

All you really need is a little white beard.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

No free person [STRIKE]whom has reached the age of majority[/STRIKE] should be restricted from purchasing any object for which they are physically capable of engaging in commerce via purchase, trade, or barter with a mutually agreeable party.
    Fixed it for ya...

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Chrissakes, pay attention, I already explained it, Ted. The compact gives effect to other states' traffic violations in each state of the compact so yes it's applicable, Ted. They wouldn't need the compact at all if FF&C worked like you think, THAT'S WHY IT IS A "DRIVERS LICENSE COMPACT." . The only thing FF&C does is establish comity that all states must believe that other states took the action they say they did. Each state DOES NOT have to give it effect in their own state. I would love FF&C to act like you think it does then I wouldn't have to obtain a separate law license in each state I wish to practice, but it doesn't. To give effect to other states traffic violations in sister states and apply those violations states joined the compact. To allow other states' drivers to drive in their state, each state enacted law for such. Where the nonsense about the UCC fits in is anyone's guess. Why this is such a hard subject for you is something you'll have to sort out. This is like trying to explain gun stuff to a Hollywood celebrity.

IAALBNYL

Uh, not all states belong to the DL compact. So again, what does the compact have to do with anything regarding this argument about FF&C......again, please?

Why don't you just explain to everyone what you believe what FF&C actually is applicable.....because according to you, it really doesn't mean a thing.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Why gun owners constantly see the need to negotiate away their rights to appease those who will never be satisfied is mystifying.

Don't lump me in with that group. I personally think every gun owner that negotiates away at Our Rights, should get kicked in their pelvis by the rest of us....

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Doug, I think a lot of your points make sense. I think they would make even more sense if as in you example about yelling outside someones home at 0200 you addressed it as violating one persons rights with their alleged rights.

Once you start violating someone elses rights you cease to be exercising yours.

This...and a case-by-case evaluation is NOT prior restraint, which is what most folks have been pushing for...Doug, I think you are essentially in the no restrictions camp.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    It really depends on what you want to do.

Do you err on the side of caution? And deny perfectly capable people from owning a firearm guaranteed by our rights?

Or do you err on the other side? Where people who probably shouldn't have firearms acquire them, and commit crimes with them?

To me, it's the first option, no brainer. I understand that people want to keep firearms out of the hands of people who will do harm to the public with them, but as we can see by such great cities as Chicago and D.C., the second option does not work, at least not near as well as it should.

Criminals are criminals, they don't buy guns legally. So why make them illegal?

http://youtu.be/G_rKWdH-ox8

Top Bottom