Who should be prevented from buying a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I think you guys are in agreement. I think what Trooper is trying to say is "theres the way things oughtta be, and theres the way things are".

I think a big part of that is that it is socially unacceptable to shame someone for their actions anymore.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I think a big part of that is that it is socially unacceptable to shame someone for their actions anymore.

As a convicted felon, I'm going to have to disagree. We are shamed everyday, in so many ways. Look at the one answer to this thread. A complex question, and the simple one word answer was "felons."

If Myself and another applicant apply for the same job, even if I am more qualified, it is very likely the other applicant will be employed over me simply because I checked yes to a box on the application. You yourself, when the term "felon" was mentioned automatically thought of the basest, and most brutal examples or instances which can brand someone "felon". When is it time to forgive? How long does it take before a person can be recognized as reformed?

Felons are shamed everyday of their lives, some most rightly so. But again, should someone pay forever for a single error? Granted, the severity of the error or behavior must be taken into account, but the question is legitimate. When do we say "This person has been punished enough?"

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    Who are we to tell someone they can or can not have something everyone has a right to defend there self. Dont need to ask for your rights.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    As a convicted felon, I'm going to have to disagree. We are shamed everyday, in so many ways. Look at the one answer to this thread. A complex question, and the simple one word answer was "felons."

If Myself and another applicant apply for the same job, even if I am more qualified, it is very likely the other applicant will be employed over me simply because I checked yes to a box on the application. You yourself, when the term "felon" was mentioned automatically thought of the basest, and most brutal examples or instances which can brand someone "felon". When is it time to forgive? How long does it take before a person can be recognized as reformed?

Felons are shamed everyday of their lives, some most rightly so. But again, should someone pay forever for a single error? Granted, the severity of the error or behavior must be taken into account, but the question is legitimate. When do we say "This person has been punished enough?"
    As they should be...

And you know it... :rolleyes::popcorn:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

I know too many that just think that criminal behavior is a necessity.....and that serving time is just the cost of doing business. From individuals, to families, and to entire neighborhoods. The same could be said of the basic disrespect that is interrelated, as well as so prevalent today in society.

This is of what I speak, not how you personally perceive being treated for assuming the label of felon.

However, felons in NY do have recourse....for those who deserve the same. A quick web search revealed something termed as a "Certificate of Relief from Disability", as one of the methods to relieve oneself of such disqualification.

In so far as my examples provided in an earlier post, was not the only felony crimes that I am aware. My point of that post was to point out that there are many felons that have committed such atrocious acts, that they couldn't be lumped into the tax evader or the customs offender.

JimmyJames

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Just passin through
    Whom should be prevented from buying a firearm?

Great question.

I am going to review the Second Amendment documenting the natural right to defense of one's property and see whom it excludes.

...... OK; finished reading.

Whom in your opinion, OP, should be prevented from buying firearms?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

When do we say a person has been punished enough? What about cases like your own in which the only thing wrong in the first place is a handful of cops who should be [STRIKE]put in a cell and have the door welded shut [/STRIKE]on second thought, they should be put in general population!

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I have enjoyed watching this debate unfold, and there have been a lot of great opinions, with only a few waltzes in the weeds.

To answer JimmyJames: I do think we need to have some restrictions in place for firearm purchasing:

I agree with NYFelon and others who say that once a person convicted of committing a crime has completed his or her sentence, including any periods of probation/parole, that person should have all of his rights restored, including the right to purchase firearms.

I agree with the State of Indiana in terms of people who have been involuntarily committed/found to be mentally incompetent should not be allowed to own firearms. These groups are actually very small- In the last year of working admissions for a psychiatric facility, I have seen perhaps one person who would fit this criteria, and it was a 65+ year old person with dementia. People who are admitted under an Emergency Detention Order/72 hour hold are not named as improper persons, and I think that is appropriate.

I also think there needs to be an age restriction. I think responsible firearm handling should be taught at a young age, but until a minor is 18, his or her parents are still liable for his or her actions. If I have an objection to having or owning firearms (which I obviously don't), then I should be able to prevent my child from owning a handgun. The age restriction prevents that from happening.

This has been a fun debate to watch unfold. :rockwoot:

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    If I have an objection to having or owning firearms (which I obviously don't), then I should be able to prevent my child from owning a handgun. The age restriction prevents that from happening.

I am trying to figure out how an age restriction prevents someone under 18 from possesing a gun. Like any other gun control law it does nothing to stop someone who wants a gun to get a gun.

I read all the time how some child in grade 2, 3, 4 ,5..ect brought a gun to school.

Can they go out and buy guns now? No of course not.

It is your responsibility (and priviledge by the way) to teach your children about the proper way to handle and own guns, not the governments.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I read all the time how some child in grade 2, 3, 4 ,5..ect brought a gun to school.

Can they go out and buy guns now? No of course not.

It is your responsibility (and priviledge by the way) to teach your children about the proper way to handle and own guns, not the governments.

I agree. If I want to teach my children about safe firearm handling, then I should make the decision when to begin that instruction, whether I believe that should happen at age 8, 12, or 16, or whenever. BY restricting legal purchasing to those age 18 and up, you are aiding parents in making that decision as to what is best for their children, whatever that decision may be.

I also agree that this places the repsonsibility on the parent to be a responsible gun owner, but that is the case anyways. The age restriction just helps parents have some control over their children's access to guns.

I am trying to figure out how an age restriction prevents someone under 18 from possesing a gun. Like any other gun control law it does nothing to stop someone who wants a gun to get a gun.

Now, I disagree with your statement that an age restriction prevents some people from getting guns. While I would be idiotic to believe that there are not illegal ways to get guns, when guns are hard to get, they often come at a premium. I think the most accurate way to reatate that would be "Like any other gun control law it does nothing to stop someone who wants a gun bad enough. How big that population is, neither of us really know.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    I agree. If I want to teach my children about safe firearm handling, then I should make the decision when to begin that instruction, whether I believe that should happen at age 8, 12, or 16, or whenever. BY restricting legal purchasing to those age 18 and up, you are aiding parents in making that decision as to what is best for their children, whatever that decision may be.

I also agree that this places the repsonsibility on the parent to be a responsible gun owner, but that is the case anyways. The age restriction just helps parents have some control over their children's access to guns.

Now, I disagree with your statement that an age restriction prevents some people from getting guns. While I would be idiotic to believe that there are not illegal ways to get guns, when guns are hard to get, they often come at a premium. I think the most accurate way to reatate that would be "Like any other gun control law it does nothing to stop someone who wants a gun bad enough. How big that population is, neither of us really know.
    WHAT?

I am sorry but I cannot figure out where you are coming from.

I haven't agreed with anything you have said but you keep saying "I also agree."

With whom are you agreeing? Not me.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

We ALL know that nobody should have a right to anything once convicted. I mean, looking back at the thread about the raids on the Indiana Outlaws club houses...a past criminal act should be enough to have your property taken or ruined, you thrown in jail with charges (similar to those of many elected officials that don't see prison), etc. at any time.

I've known some people that would only see "reformed" if all rights were restored to someone that had done time under a felony conviction. Me? I'd rather be surrounded by people that had made mistakes and moved on in life rather than a group that thinks they do no wrong and stand around judging everyone else.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    WHAT?

I am sorry but I cannot figure out where you are coming from.

I haven't agreed with anything you have said but you keep saying "I also agree."

With whom are you agreeing? Not me.

From my reading of your post, we both agree that parents are responsible for their children's education in firearm safety. Where we disagree is whether laws prohibiting people under 18 years old is effective at preventing minors from getting access to guns. Your statement was that if someone wants to get a gun, they will get a gun. I agree that those that those who want it bad enough will get a gun, but that the added restrictions help the parents exercise more control over their children's firearm education.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    We ALL know that nobody should have a right to anything once convicted. I mean, looking back at the thread about the raids on the Indiana Outlaws club houses...a past criminal act should be enough to have your property taken or ruined, you thrown in jail with charges (similar to those of many elected officials that don't see prison), etc. at any time.

I've known some people that would only see "reformed" if all rights were restored to someone that had done time under a felony conviction. Me? I'd rather be surrounded by people that had made mistakes and moved on in life rather than a group that thinks they do no wrong and stand around judging everyone else.

STOP. MAKING. SENSE.

it's making my heard hurt

on lockdown at the moment.

Top Bottom