Who should be prevented from buying a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Good post in general. As for the criminals, they ARE going to have guns regardless of state permission or the lack thereof. It amazes me how many people forget that criminals, by definition, are people who disregard the law.

Indeed. If they ever outlaw guns, I'll be an outlaw. I guess that will make me a criminal too.

NetPIMP

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    Indeed. If they ever outlaw guns, I'll be an outlaw. I guess that will make me a criminal too.

^^This

That's what gun control really ends up doing... creating more criminals than it puts away.

Some criminals use guns, yes. However, the converse of this - that having a gun makes you a criminal - is just not true, yet this attitude persists. Just look at the way people react when they see a perfectly peaceful, law-abiding citizen OC'ing and freak out.

I'd like to point out that when I typed "freak out" above, I originally followed it with "for no reason" but I'm taking that back. Unfortunately, they do have reason... they're afraid, and they're afraid because contemporary society has taught them to be afraid... has taught them that only cops and criminals have guns.

How do we fix that?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    ^^This

That's what gun control really ends up doing... creating more criminals than it puts away.

Some criminals use guns, yes. However, the converse of this - that having a gun makes you a criminal - is just not true, yet this attitude persists. Just look at the way people react when they see a perfectly peaceful, law-abiding citizen OC'ing and freak out.

I'd like to point out that when I typed "freak out" above, I originally followed it with "for no reason" but I'm taking that back. Unfortunately, they do have reason... they're afraid, and they're afraid because contemporary society has taught them to be afraid... has taught them that only cops and criminals have guns.

How do we fix that?

Some criminals use guns, some use a car, some use a computer, some use a pen, some use their mouths, .........while others use the law to commit their crimes.

I don't believe that firearms will be banned outright.....until a steady attrition has depleted anything related to firearms ownership has been accepted by the population.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Everyone should be allowed to own a gun! Remember that in the United States we are innocent until proven guilty. Once proven guilty than that right can be taken away but until then under the second amendment everybody and anybody can. Why do we try to make things so damn complicated! :)

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Everyone should be allowed to own a gun! Remember that in the United States we are innocent until proven guilty. Once proven guilty than that right can be taken away but until then under the second amendment everybody and anybody can. Why do we try to make things so damn complicated! :)

Pretty close to what I am thinking...........

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

If it can be taken away it's not a right. It's a privilege subject to governmental approval.

Because the right to keep and bear arms "...shall not be infringed except in such manner as the voters, legislature, courts, or law enforcement deem appropriate", right?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    If it can be taken away it's not a right. It's a privilege subject to governmental approval.

Because the right to keep and bear arms "...shall not be infringed except in such manner as the voters, legislature, courts, or law enforcement deem appropriate", right?

Rights are granted by God and cannot be taken away, except by God.

There are NO Constitutional Gun Laws.

Governments and other individuals can infringe upon a person's rights, though there has been a narrow, historical line drawn for the insane, those incarcerated in penal facilities, etc. Said laws were largely agreed upon, by default, by the Framers.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    ^^^^He doesn't get it either.

Except it's not. It existed in this country mostly intact until 1968 and most assuredly until 1934. 1934 didn't keep the LCN Mob from getting what it wanted and 1968 didn't keep the criminals it was supposedly aimed from getting what it wanted. They just made the assorted police state lovers happy.

Forgive me for not following, but "what" exactly existed intact until '68?

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So much fail here! First, there is no asterisk after the Second Amendment. Second, as we watch the news occasionally, it is readily apparent that we all can be very easily criminalized into 'improper persons'. It started with felons, then added select misdemeanants. Further, more activities are regulated and'or criminalized every year. It does not take a particularly vivid imagination to see the threshold continue to move through the mass of formerly upstanding citizens who no longer are so (or no longer will be so) as they are progressively redefined as criminals without any change in their behavior.

At the end of the day, no one should be denied any rights or relegated to second-class citizenship if they are free citizens. If they are too dangerous to be trusted with all their rights, they should be either incarcerated or executed.

One way to head off the leftwingers wanting to make more felons is to make it such that if one loses the right to own or possess a firearm then they lose the right to vote, hold a professional license (doctor, lawyer, teacher, CPA, etc) or work for government. That would hit the democrats right in the middle of their voters. They complain now about how felons are not allowed to vote. My answer is that if and when they rights to own a gun are restored then the voting rights are restored.

I would make misdomeaner offenses up to five years (changing the law of one year in prison) giving more time to give a second chance. Felonies would then be a minimum of five years. Many crimes are not worth making into a felony at that point. And gun rights would only be given up for the period that one was subject to misdomeaner supervision.

Much of our criminal law needs to be rewritten.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Hahaha. Well, then we shall simply label them as not free citizens, since they don't,get the 2A protection, but let's not lock them up for life just because they are mental okay? Lot's of people have Bipolar Disorder, and should never be allowed to touch a gun, period. Then we have people with ADD, and Down's Syndrome, and the list goes on.

I believe that the "well refulated militia" only includes those who would be handed a gun by a militia leader. But even if the 2A lacked the preamble, there really is no way to allow everyone access to guns, it is just absurd. We don't let some people drive, for example, and that is a good thing.

This is whacko fairyland-style stuff.

"... shall not be infringed."

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Forgive me for not following, but "what" exactly existed intact until '68?

The right to arms, that is the subject, please keep up. Why do the people who know the least of the history of gun control adore it so much and have so much to say about it?:rolleyes:

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why do the people who know the least of the history of gun control adore it so much and have so much to say about it?:rolleyes:

If you notice how the leftwingers think, they tend to believe that they can solve all problems by throwing technology at it, by passing laws or talking it to death. They are not very good at just punching someone in the nose, they hire that out. If anything, the left just dislikes having to hire more thugs as they find police to be distasteful. Not emasculated enough for their effeminate tastes.

The problem is that laws often solve nothing as most Americans will ignore a law that they disagree with. In fact some of the left are now very careful as they have learned that they can create a backlash against them.

How well did Prohibition work? Or the 55 mph speed limit? And the AWB was a failure as well.

In fact what most leftwingers, often feminists, commonly say is that they are "sending a message". The problem is that no one is listening.

Top Bottom