• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I've had a Taurus .357 6" stainless (looks just like a S&W) for 15+ years and it has always been 100% reliable and accurate.
    never owned a Taurus semi-auto, so can't speak to that, but their revolvers are Ok IMHO.

Atkinson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    I have a pt99, jams after every third or fourth round. Sent back twice to taurus, still same problem. Time to off load it.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I have never owned a Taurus. I did recommend one to a friend who didn't have the cash for a Smith once. No complaints from him and I did think it shot pretty good. So with that information, I bought a Rossi. It also shoots pretty good.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Do you have the Public Defender shorter barrel or longer one. Saw a Defender NRA edition (stainless I guess?) at a LGS. They would take $400 out the door. Trigger pull was decent. How does yours handle when shooting .410 - 00?

I have a Taurus Judge and have had zero issues with it.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    ​iI was never impressed with Taurus in the past. Always thought they was smith&wesson left overs (so to speak). Never owned one until recently. Its a model 605. But must admit I'm kinda impressed with it not because its mine but the general fit and finish is good and smooth. If I could I'd like to get a judge for a big brother to it.

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I've tried a couple. They seem to have a good knack for making pretty looking guns. Unfortunately they seem to be totally devoid of any knowledge of metallurgy and heat treatment. They seem to wear / deform quickly. They were, at one time, good value, but now you save little over S&W or Ruger, so why go Taurus ?

TWFMB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    I currently own 4 of them and have owned several more. Never had any problems with any of them. My Taurus 1911 is very nice.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    New membef, gotta chime in here, better late than never. Went to my buddy's last weekend to shoot our new toys. Mune was my Taurus Judge, 3" cylinder and barrel. His were a Ruger LC9 and a Beretta 92fs. I brought along my PT709, but its noy new.
    Now, I had an old box of WWB 9mm 115g ammo and told him I wanted to use it up as my 709 didnt like it at times, so its the only 9mm ammo we used. There were roughly 70-80 rounds loose in a 100 round box and we shot them all. My 709 had 3 FTF jams, his LC9 had 5 or 6, and his Berettta had zero. I havent and any issues from my PT709 except for WWB ammo for some reason, but his Ruger seemed to have more problems with it.
    After we finished the 9mm ammo it was on with the Judge...only had my 50 round box of Magtech 45 colt cowboy rounds. He setup a satellite dish from about 20 yards away and my first shot was dead center...sweet!!! We played around and finished the box of 50 shooting cans, etc.... and I was surprised at the accuracy after reading all the bashing and rumors, blah, blah, blah. No its not a competition pistol but it suits me just fine.
    There was a 2011 date on the WWB ammo that I had issues with in the Taurus and the Ruger. The Beretta seemed to not care.
    Anyway, I forgot my .410 Federal 3" 000 shells so I havent shot anything but 45 colt from it, and only 50 rounds at that, but my PT709 has been faithful except for the one box of WWB ammo.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Oh, and my phone is my internet, so posting anything shy of a sentence or two, will be full of errors, and almost impossible to try to edit, sorry.......and dont know if I was clear, but since 2011, my 709 has been hitch free. I havent shot anyore WWB out of it, but it sure didnt like one box of it...neither did the ruger.

Last edited:

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I like my Taurus Revolver. Well over 1700 rounds down the range and not one issue.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I don't have NEARLY, that many "miles" on my 85, but it never fails to do what I want it to ..... as long as I do MY part.....

Oh, Taurus pistols. :dunno:

My 605 has just over 150 rounds through it without any issues. All .357 mag rounds too. I carry it most of the summer on my ankle. Now that it is cooler outside and I can wear more then just a t shirt, I have gone back to my g22.
    But the 605 is a good little gun. Surprisingly accurate at 10 yards. Not too bad on the kick, but you definitely know that you just let a magnum loose.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    From what I have read on the tcp380 . There is A,B,C Models. The A Models up to about 60,000 had issues. All B and C models are good to go. I have a B Model and is a great little pocket pistol. Just stay away from the A models and you would be fine. Jim

That was my experience. I have a B model. It had problems that were eventually resolved by a fellow :ingo:er. Now works great—just like my 24/7 and 709.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    First, I'm not going to trash Taurus. Like any other gun maker they can trash themselves with their products. Lifetime warranty = great? Here is my problem with them. New gun bought new from them $200 (PT22), broken barrel release after less than 400rds. Cost to ship $200 pistol to Taurus for great warranty repair $50-$60. If it was one of their higher end guns maybe it wouldn't bother me so much. I've had new Rugers
    and Smiths that developed a problem, called them and was immediately issued pick up tickets from both. Cost to ship new gun back=$0.
    Guess it all goes back to the you get what you pay for statement.

I had to send two of my three back to Taurus. Taurus paid all the costs both times. The guns are flawless since the repairs were done.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In the long run, I believe a person is money ahead to not bother with lower tier copies. Instead of a slightly cheaper copy of a S&W, or Beretta, or Walther, or Springfield, spend the extra money and buy the real deal. Even aside from any reliablility issues, in a few years the real S&W, Beretta, Walther or Springfield will still be worth what you paid for it, if not more. When was the last time you saw any collectors looking for an old llama or taurus? I sold my Gold cup for twice what I paid for it and my Python for almost three times. Take a look at how much people are paying for those old S&W 36 chief specials that cost $165. new.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom