• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've had a few Taurus handguns over the years. All have been flawless. I didn't like em just because I didn't like em, never had any functional issues.

I've only ever sent two guns back to the manufacturer. A Beretta and a Ruger. I've owned 4-5 Taurus handguns (1 wheelgun and 3 or 4 SA) and afaik, the new owners still run em.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My only experience with Taurus was with my nephew's 24/7 a couple of years back. It worked well and was accurate. I don't own one because I'm not a fan of their billboard sized logos, but I cannot say I hate them for it.

Jordan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Camby/Moorseville
    Love and hate. I own a model 441 Taurus I love to death. It shoots like a dream, has never failed, and looks gorgeous. But... I also owned a first gen 24/7 45 and it was nothing but problems and I said to hell with it and traded it towards an FNP 45 and never looked back.

Last edited:

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    I have found them to be fine firearms which can be trusted to perform as much as any of the major brands out there. Their finish quality may not be as nice as some of the European manufacturers, but I don't see them as being any worse than the major American manufacturers. I really don't understand it, but they are just "cool to hate" right now. I guess trolls will be trolls no matter what the subject.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Well, I will explain my loathing. Imagine all these new cowboys running about with .410 revolvers thinking they are the shiznit for self defense. Like having a shotgun for a revolver is better than range time to learn better shot placement. I find this to be rather absurd. I bought one when they were new just to play with, not to carry. First one wasn't able to index properly so I sent it back. A month later it returned only to be chambered only for .45 Colt, no .410 shell would go into the chambers. Back it went for a SECOND TIME. A month or so later it returned and only two chambers would take a .410, the others were still only .45 colt so this time I asked for my money back and bought a Ruger. Anther time I had a little PT25 just for fun, it was the one with the pealite grips, chrome frame and slide with the gold highlights. It was my "Pimp" gun and I had this engraved on it for a joke. It started having FTFeed issues so I sent it back, REGISTERED SIGNATURE REQUIRED and they claimed never to have received it despite the fact I had a signature of someone they said was an actual employee there saying he did receive it. I went round and round with them for a month and finally went ahead and showed my proof to my BATFE inspector (I was an FFL at the time) to ask if he could help. I was amazed to find Taurus had suddenly found my gun a week later and returned it, sans engraving claiming it was the same one. It did have the same serial number but it wasn't engraved anymore and no one at Taurus could explain that to me but they did pay to have it redone. I did need the help of the BATFE to get it back though and to even gain any sort of cooperation from them at all despite proof of delivery. Then there was a .44 mag that was a 7 shot that I was given. The frame cracked on it so I sent it back. It wasn't being made anymore so they sent me a different gun of lesser value. That gun they sent me didn't index properly so I sent it back again. Eventually they simply sent me a money order for the value of the gun as they were never able to send me a working revolver. There was a PT22 I had, got it in trade. It never was able to feed more then two rounds without jamming. I had a Jennings that was more reliable. I sold it as a jam-o-matic and let the other guy deal with it. I did tell the new owner it was a POS too.

I have tried and tried to let Taurus impress me and they have only ever failed me. They only gun that worked for me for any length of time was a Taurus Millennium PT111Pro 9mm that I just sold off deciding I really no longer wanted to own any more Taurus guns. The new owner though is a very happy Taurus guy and thinks he will get many more years out of the gun and I hope he does too. I got my 5 years from it but never trusted it to carry and that was why I wanted a small 9mm. So I used the money from the sale of the PT11pro to get a Ruger LC9.

I LOATHE Taurus and would rather carry a Jennings if my life depended on it.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Well, I will explain my loathing. Imagine all these new cowboys running about with .410 revolvers thinking they are the shiznit for self defense. Like having a shotgun for a revolver is better than range time to learn better shot placement. I find this to be rather absurd. I bought one when they were new just to play with, not to carry. First one wasn't able to index properly so I sent it back. A month later it returned only to be chambered only for .45 Colt, no .410 shell would go into the chambers. Back it went for a SECOND TIME. A month or so later it returned and only two chambers would take a .410, the others were still only .45 colt so this time I asked for my money back and bought a Ruger. Anther time I had a little PT25 just for fun, it was the one with the pealite grips, chrome frame and slide with the gold highlights. It was my "Pimp" gun and I had this engraved on it for a joke. It started having FTFeed issues so I sent it back, REGISTERED SIGNATURE REQUIRED and they claimed never to have received it despite the fact I had a signature of someone they said was an actual employee there saying he did receive it. I went round and round with them for a month and finally went ahead and showed my proof to my BATFE inspector (I was an FFL at the time) to ask if he could help. I was amazed to find Taurus had suddenly found my gun a week later and returned it, sans engraving claiming it was the same one. It did have the same serial number but it wasn't engraved anymore and no one at Taurus could explain that to me but they did pay to have it redone. I did need the help of the BATFE to get it back though and to even gain any sort of cooperation from them at all despite proof of delivery. Then there was a .44 mag that was a 7 shot that I was given. The frame cracked on it so I sent it back. It wasn't being made anymore so they sent me a different gun of lesser value. That gun they sent me didn't index properly so I sent it back again. Eventually they simply sent me a money order for the value of the gun as they were never able to send me a working revolver. There was a PT22 I had, got it in trade. It never was able to feed more then two rounds without jamming. I had a Jennings that was more reliable. I sold it as a jam-o-matic and let the other guy deal with it. I did tell the new owner it was a POS too.

I have tried and tried to let Taurus impress me and they have only ever failed me. They only gun that worked for me for any length of time was a Taurus Millennium PT111Pro 9mm that I just sold off deciding I really no longer wanted to own any more Taurus guns. The new owner though is a very happy Taurus guy and thinks he will get many more years out of the gun and I hope he does too. I got my 5 years from it but never trusted it to carry and that was why I wanted a small 9mm. So I used the money from the sale of the PT11pro to get a Ruger LC9.

I LOATHE Taurus and would rather carry a Jennings if my life depended on it.

That's legit, I could see why you disdain them. I have had quite the opposite experience with them. I own a Taurus .22 revolver that my father bought back in the 80s when he was in the Air Force, it's older than me and has never missed a beat. My father also owns a Rossi .357 magnum that he bought over ten years ago that has had an equally excellent track record, and my best friend has had a similar Rossi .357 magnum for a couple of years now with no issues either.

That being said, I have never known anyone with one of their autos, but their revolvers have been champs for me and those around me.

averagejoe46048

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Ingalls, IN
    My first pistol was a PT140 Millennium Pro which never had any issues. I've also owned a PT1911 that worked perfectly as well. Not to mention that at one time both Taurus and Smith & Wesson were owned by the same company which is why there are more than a few shared designs between the two companies.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I don't hate Taurus, I LOATHE Taurus.

Right there with you.

I bought a Taurus revolver probably 25-28 years ago. Back then, you were supposed to register your firearms with the local PD. I took mine to Beech Grove PD and they took it back in the back room to test fire it. The officer brought it back to me and said " You need to take this back to the dealer and never fire it again. It's shaving lead" Turns out the cylinder was not lined up correctly with the barrel.

I took it back and never bought another one. Never will.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I mentioned to a friend of mine, the subject of this post.
    He reminded me, of a purchase he made for a new SW Model 67 revolver. He had only fired around 25 rounds through it,
    when the cylinder bound up and he could not get it to fire properly.
    He sent it back to SW and has had no problems with it, after many, many hundreds of rounds.
    Now, we all know what lousy revolvers SW makes, and this should serve to everyone, never to buy a SW product.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    My experience with auto loaders hasn't been positive. I'm talking about Walther, Taurus, Ruger, Browning and others. I've had jams with them all. The exceptions has been with Springfield EMP and Ruger SR1911. Because of the jams. I've become a fan of wheel guns.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I had a PT-145 Mil Pro that had FTF/FTE issues and the magazine release button fell out along with the magazine upon ejecting a magazine. It's a shame because I really wanted to like that pistol. It felt good in the hand and was reasonably accurate when it functioned correctly. Originally bought it because it was a nice size for carry but in the end I just couldn't trust it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I mentioned to a friend of mine, the subject of this post.
    He reminded me, of a purchase he made for a new SW Model 67 revolver. He had only fired around 25 rounds through it,
    when the cylinder bound up and he could not get it to fire properly.
    He sent it back to SW and has had no problems with it, after many, many hundreds of rounds.
    Now, we all know what lousy revolvers SW makes, and this should serve to everyone, never to buy a SW product.
    :n00b: Certainly any manufacturer is capable of producing a lemon. It's the frequency with which Taurus does so that I find unacceptable.

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    My only experience with Taurus was my first pistol. It was a 9mm 24/7 Pro C DS. I honestly wish I never sold it. The only issue I ever had was with some very cheap steel cased ammo - FTF - the rounds would actually get stuck going into the chamber (obvious ammunition issue). I only put 1000 rounds through it, but it was reliable (with an admittedly small sample size), accurate, and fun to shoot. Just my :twocents:

knot4reel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Way down south by Bl
    First, I'm not going to trash Taurus. Like any other gun maker they can trash themselves with their products. Lifetime warranty = great? Here is my problem with them. New gun bought new from them $200 (PT22), broken barrel release after less than 400rds. Cost to ship $200 pistol to Taurus for great warranty repair $50-$60. If it was one of their higher end guns maybe it wouldn't bother me so much. I've had new Rugers
    and Smiths that developed a problem, called them and was immediately issued pick up tickets from both. Cost to ship new gun back=$0.
    Guess it all goes back to the you get what you pay for statement.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom