• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    OK, I over stated the case in the title! Save your napalm and flame me later.

But how many of you :ingo:ers still shift your own gears? Did your first car have a stick or an automatic?

My first car was a 1965 Mustang, one of the first models out. It had the 260 which was standard until they put the 289 in it. I bought it used in 1970. It had three on the floor. Loved that car; but I wrapped it around a tree in an ice storm, so I bought a 1970 Chevy Nova at the end of the model year. Bench seat and automatic was much better than bucket seats and 3 on the floor for hanging out with my soon-to-be wife!!

Now I drive a 1997 Mustang with 5 on the floor. I am convinced, and I taught my sons the same, that real men change their own gears—shoot, even my wife and daughter can shift their own gears if needed. Matter of fact, my daughter had to teach my son-in-law how to drive a stick! I would have made the guy surrender his man card on the spot, but my daughter promised to teach him so I let him slide!

Nonetheless, I have a 5-speed automatic in my Nissan Titan. But the rumble from that V-8 and the special exhaust system lets me keep my man card. Vroom, baby! VROOOOOOOOOOM!:rockwoot:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My first car was an automatic ('62 Pontiac), but my second car was a VW Beetle. My wife got her driver's license on another VW Bug and we had stick shifts for about 20 years. I wouldn't mind having a stick, but they're hard to find nowadays... My 37 yo son still can't drive stick.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    First truck was a 1990 F150 long bed single cab. A stick. I loved that truck.
    Now that I've paid my Jeep off, I'd love to buy an older Jeep that's a stick.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    All the vehicles I've owned have been stick shifts except for one, and that was a 91 explorer. Both of my current cars are stick shifts. And all of the vehicles on the farm other than mom's car are stick shifts. That's my 2 cars, 3 pickups, 2 grain trucks, and the 4 tractors.

After high school when dad bought my sister her ZX2 we taught her how to drive a stick shift, and now she prefers it as well. She just wrecked that car, and has found an 03 mazda protege 5, with a 5 spd to replace it. I taught her well :)

I'm looking at selling one car and getting another to replace it. And also wanting to find a older pickup as well. Just having a hard time finding a decent one with a manual. :(

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    All "my" cars have been stick shifts.

1991 Nissan Sentra
    1996 Ford Ranger
    2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser

OK, so these are actually the cars my dad (the OP) has owned that I was allowed to use at my discretion. The PT Cruiser will be mine once I move out, though.

I have no interest in ever owning an automatic, though I fear someday it will be necessary when I have kids :( It's so sad to see how few good cars still let you get a standard transmission any more!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    All the cars that have ever graced my garage had three pedals.

Once while looking to by a Corvette for my wife, the salesman made the mistake about saying she would want an automatic. She looked at him and said something to the effect that she thought the Corvette was a sports car, and real sports cars had manual transmissions.

It was nice that while my daughter was away at college, her car had three pedals. I knew I didn't have to worry about other kids borrowing it because the majority couldn't drive it.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I just had to sell my Impreza 2.5 RS. I was putting more money into replacing its parts than the car was worth. :(

I inherited the Corolla Lars was driving (automatic), and he got the new car (stick). I found it incredibly funny when the salesmen would look at us cross-eyed when we asked if it (whatever we were looking at) came in a manual version. There are actually some cars that don't, and those that do sometimes have an upcharge just for not being automatic! *boggle*

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I think everyone should know how to drive a stick shift. My first two trucks were both stick shifts(ford rangers) Now I drive an automatic and I like it better but Im glad I atleast know how to drive a stickshift

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I just had to sell my Impreza 2.5 RS. I was putting more money into replacing its parts than the car was worth. :(

I inherited the Corolla Lars was driving (automatic), and he got the new car (stick). I found it incredibly funny when the salesmen would look at us cross-eyed when we asked if it (whatever we were looking at) came in a manual version. There are actually some cars that don't, and those that do sometimes have an upcharge just for not being automatic! *boggle*

It boggles my mind when they have the upcharge for a manual as well. I think its cause they sell more of the automatics so they have more parts available for them and can build them easier. Whereas the manuals they have to change things around to build them. So even though the manual transmissions are cheaper than the autos that's prob part of the reason.

Although I think its a pretty bad reason myself. As long as I can I'm sticking to a manual transmission. They give you so many advantages that you can't get with an auto. Especially if racing (on a track, legally of course) or in the winter when you wanna shift down to help slow the car without sliding as much.

Plus its just plain more fun!!! :rockwoot:

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Meh. My first 3 or 4 cars were manuals (many years ago). I've been in automatics now for years. Can't remember the last manual I had.

Oh yea, the only one that really matters is still a manual. But I don't clutch with my foot, I clutch with my left hand. And it only has 2 wheels. And it was made in America.

So yea, now we can start talking about "manly" vehicles. :)::rockwoot::)::yesway:

HotPocket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    With Daddy
    I learned to drive in a stick. I've still got that truck, my kids will be learning how to drive in it. I still shift my own gears. I really don't see myself ever having an automatic.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    My first car was a 1980 VW Diesel Rabbit. Got 53 mpg on the highway, but couldn't get over 57 mph, unless I drafted something. I could hold the 65 speed limit up I-65, if I was 4 car lengths back on a big rig. :) I was glad this was a stick, as the electrical system got screwed up and I had to drive it for 2 months by push starting it.

Had a Delta 88 auto, Nissan Sentra stick. Then a Camry, a stick. Then Nissan Maxima auto. Our current Kia Rondo and my F-150 are both autos. The wife has no desire to learn how to drive a stick and there are conditions where she might have to take the truck.

I do miss being able to down shift, and the manual shifting auto isn't as smooth when down shifting. But it is nice to have an extra hand free.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I drive a ten-speed Eaton Fuller in my rig at work for 10-12 hours a day. (I HATE :xmad: the semi tractors with auto transmissions. They are undrivable, and were meant for truck driving school retreads and young dumb-asses who can't shift and can't figure out what gear they should be in.)

My personal vehicle is a 5-speed.

I row gears constantly.

On the rare occasions I drive the family minivan (automatic of course), I instinctively reach down to a non-existent gear shift to downshift when I'm slowing down...

Yes, I agree with your original premise.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I drive a ten-speed Eaton Fuller in my rig at work for 10-12 hours a day. (I HATE :xmad: the semi tractors with auto transmissions. They are undrivable, and were meant for truck driving school retreads and young dumb-asses who can't shift and can't figure out what gear they should be in.)

I row gears constantly.

On the rare occasions I drive the family minivan (automatic of course), I instinctively reach down to a non-existent gear shift to downshift when I'm slowing down...

Give that man an extra man card!

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    My first driver was a poop brown Ford van with a 3 on the tree. If you can drive a column shift, I guess you can drive anything

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    Every single vehicle that I have owned up until my current one had a manual transmission. It's very difficult to find an SUV with both a manual transmission and 4WD. :xmad: Once my current vehicle bites the dust, then my next one will have a manual transmission.

Here is my vehicle history:
    1989 Isuzu Pickup w/4WD
    1990 Isuzu Amigo w/4WD
    1999 Isuzu Amigo w/4WD (Current Vehicle)

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

I row gears constantly.

Yes, I agree with your original premise.

I occasionally HATE what an automatic tries to do for me. I could really understand how it would be annoying to run a big rig without full control. Down shifting or up shifting at the wrong time would just be compounded by the power to weight ratio of a loaded rig.

Do rigs run syncros? It would seem they would get really stressed with a powerful transmission. I assume you mainly shift without a clutch and match speeds, right?

That is one thing I miss from manual. Being at one with the vehicle and knowing the engine sounds and road sounds to match up speed and shift with no clutch almost instinctual. Kinda of a zen thing. :)

Top Bottom