• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I do understand everyone's look on this, I'm in the same boat. But remember, its the people who put him in office. Filipinos here in US supported him. I didn't, couldn't care less. I'm done with the country a long time ago, even as a kid.

Yes, it's brutal, yes, rights are ignored. The people there are tired of it. I have no words to described the mold that needs to be removed, you have to live there to understand it.

Isn't the big difference that Duarte is talking about these things in front of an international audience?

As an outsider related to a LOT of people who were born there, it seems like it's been worse in the past. I don't know if there are viable solutions for all the problems they face every day and I think I can understand why some or many are okay with the "take no prisoners" approach.

I can enumerate the problems they have but then I have to recall all those unnecessary memories and I just don't want to ruin my day today.

The people there are aware of his actions. As a collective, their mindset now is gambling with his approach. They have had so many presidents that tried to solve it but unable because of either the lack of backbone or just surrounded with corrupt officials whos roots have dug so deep in the system that it's going to cost lives in cleaning it up. He's up against some powerful politicians that are involved in this ring. He knows he's risking his life when he took office. But he doesn't care.

I can relate this to a similar situation in Mexico where they actually armed a town to fight the cartels. It hasn't gotten to that point yet.

The muslim extremists sensing that he's no BS, they have now started bombing places there. Philippines blast: 3 sought over deadly bombing, Islamists suspected - CNN.com

Any crime committed there is as good as unsolved. You can disappear if someone wants you dead. It'll only get attention if it's a big case and gets national attention. Other than that, you're basically on your own. People there are tired of that. I was. Their justice system there are hopeless before he took office. There's some light to it now.

Like Church said, what do you do when all else fails. I'm lucky I'm in one of the greatest countries on earth now. The system isn't perfect but it works because of the people behind it. If our justice system doesn't do what its supposed to do, you've already seen glimpses of it. But we're not close to that, yet.

I want to feel bad for those involved and got killed but I don't. I've met those type of people face to face. Draconian it may be but in my opinion, it's a much needed approach. And I'm saying that with a gamble, hoping it works.

Again, I understand where everyone is coming from, but then again, you're living a life here where ideals can become a reality.

First of all, I'm glad you're here with us.

I just spent the weekend with some of my relatives and got to meet my step-grandmother, Lola Lydia, for the first time (she married my lolo after my lola passed away). We'd like for her to stay, but there is some weird situation that I don't fully understand why she can't stay permanently. Ugh. Plus my dad is planning to move back at some point. It will be a good thing for him overall, but I'll still worry about the crime and violence. I think some of the older people either just don't care anymore, or they're so used to it that they don't notice that anything is wrong.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I am not disagreeing with this Kut but I would ask you, in the face of an overwhelming issue of this magnitude.....................what else can be done.
    If all the social and civil means have been tried and failed whats next.

You're saying that EVERY social and civil means has been tried, and that they ALL failed?

Portugal decriminalized (not legalized) all drugs. Worked out pretty well for them.

Systemic poverty seems to be a common cause of drug dealing and drug use. What did they do to address those?

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Isn't the big difference that Duarte is talking about these things in front of an international audience?

As an outsider related to a LOT of people who were born there, it seems like it's been worse in the past. I don't know if there are viable solutions for all the problems they face every day and I think I can understand why some or many are okay with the "take no prisoners" approach.

First of all, I'm glad you're here with us.

I just spent the weekend with some of my relatives and got to meet my step-grandmother, Lola Lydia, for the first time (she married my lolo after my lola passed away). We'd like for her to stay, but there is some weird situation that I don't fully understand why she can't stay permanently. Ugh. Plus my dad is planning to move back at some point. It will be a good thing for him overall, but I'll still worry about the crime and violence. I think some of the older people either just don't care anymore, or they're so used to it that they don't notice that anything is wrong.

It's not that they don't care, they've accepted it, it's home for them. Crimes are still avoidable there if you know your way around. Crimes are mostly snatching, home break ins, robbery at gun/knife point..... Decent houses there almost all have window bars, no fire codes whatsoever.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Not a Trump fan (much less a Hillary fan...) but I can't imagine the Pilipino President calling Trump's mother a derogatory term...

Are you old enough to remember what happened on Ronald Reagan's inauguration day? :D

You know a bold (genius) move for Trump would be to hop on his plane to run a quicky diplomatic trip to the Philipines to make sure we are all good after November. ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You're saying that EVERY social and civil means has been tried, and that they ALL failed?

Portugal decriminalized (not legalized) all drugs. Worked out pretty well for them.

Systemic poverty seems to be a common cause of drug dealing and drug use. What did they do to address those?

Read the post. I said "IF" all has been tried....."IF"

I am responding to another post asking this very question......."What" else could be done.

I do not live there but many who have posted in here. They gave good info on conditions when they lived on the island.
    Not knowing the economy, not totally understanding the politics of the area I asked.......What is next.

You have a trollish nature about you. I am OK with it but many are not. You seem to twist what has been said and sometimes to the good but not this time.
    Playing the devils advocate is OK as it ads to a discussion.

Thing is, what works in Portugal may or may not work here or in the islands. I have heard mixed things on how the legalization worked out there. I have no links to offer up but are you seeing the actual truth of this.

Poverty is a breeding ground for drug addiction. How can Gov. do much about this as ours breeds poverty. Most Gov. intervention does the very same thing. Generates a dependent class of voters/followers.
    If sheep could vote they would vote for whomever is feeding them even knowing they might likely be killed. An over simplification for sure but very near reality.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Still not a problem? Easy why to eliminate your opposition, label them drug dealers.

The President of the Philippines has named over 150 government officials who he says are complicit in the country's drug trade. Among those named in a speech early Sunday in the southern city of Davao -- once President Rodrigo Duterte's mayoral stomping ground -- were government officials, members of the judiciary, congressmen and police officials.
    Philippines names officials allegedly linked to drug trade - CNN.com

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just came to this thread to make fun of you but you made a serious post and gave me nothing to work with...

I am not donating to WWF's Rhino fund this year....

What can I say?

Even a blind squirrel eventually finds an acorn.

Or, actually a serious post from me is more like that pack of monkeys with typewriters and an infinite amount of time duplicating the works of Shakespeare.

Top Bottom