• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    All I know is... I bought a .44 mag..... Why use a muzzleloader, when you can use a rifle????? And... don't give me the primative mumbo jumbo.... modern muzzle loaders are very efficient.... just like a rifle, so ya might as well use a rifle....

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    If you go with a smoothbore flintlock fowler you can hunt everything in Indiana with it. Bismuth shot for waterfowl, lead shot for upland birds and small game, and switch to a patched round ball for deer. Plus they are tons of fun to hunt with. If you have been hunting for awhile it will be like the first time when you roll a rabbit or wing shoot a quail with a flintlock. :twocents:

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    Ive built a flintlock pistol but never even got a chance to fire it before a friend of mine bought it from me. How is the accuracy of the smoothbore

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Smooth bores can take some trial and error to find an accurate round ball load. Some like a "standard" patched round ball load and some shoot better with wadding. (thick over powder wad and thin over ball card) You can expect typical accuracy of 2-3" at 50 yards and I know guys that can take deer with regularity out to 100 yards. People who say that you cannot hit a barn with a smooth bore, if you were standing inside it have never shot a smooth bore with a properly developed load.

Last edited:

jschutz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Unless you have a lot of time to devote to perfecting the loads for a muzzle loader, stick with the shot gun or pistol cartridge rifle. Your hunt will be more enjoyable.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Smooth bores can take some trial and error to find an accurate round ball load. Some like a "standard" patched round ball load and some shoot better with wadding. (thick over powder wad and thin over ball card) You can expect typical accuracy of 2-3" at 50 yards and I know guys that can take deer with regularity out to 100 yards. People who say that you cannot hit a barn with a smooth bore, if you were standing inside it have never shot a smooth bore with a properly developed load.
    Barrel rifling was invented in Augsburg, Germany at the end of the fifteenth century.[5] In 1520 August Kotter, an armourer of Nuremberg, Germany improved upon this work. Though true rifling dates from the mid-16th century, it did not become commonplace until the nineteenth century. Wikpedia.
    I have a smooth barrel for my 870 that I would like to try Federal Tru-ball slugs in. They have a plastic ball that when fired fills the cup of the slug and holds the rifling of the slug against the barrel and also keeps the slug from deforming. The slug will spin. They are supposed to be very accurate. Spin on the projectile will increase accuracy. I would recommend something that spins. I understand the nastalgia, but it's not for everyone.

Gunpowder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Marshall County
    All I know is... I bought a .44 mag..... Why use a muzzleloader, when you can use a rifle????? And... don't give me the primative mumbo jumbo.... modern muzzle loaders are very efficient.... just like a rifle, so ya might as well use a rifle....

Because you can use the muzzle-loader in firearms and muzzle-loader season but yo can't use the .44 mag in muzzle-loader season. It is more days for the buck.

I use the bow and then if need be use the muzzle-loader later inthe fall to finish filling the freezer.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have got several to try out this year. I got a Ruger 77/44, just bought the scope mount adapter so I can start getting it sighted in. I recently picked up a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag, 6 shot with a leupold pistol scope. Also picked up a new Barnett quad 400 crossbow to give early season a shot. I do not want to wish warm weather away but I am excited for deer season to get here.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Because you are used to only having one shot at your deer being a bowhunter, i would go with an inline muzzleloader. I love my Knight Vision. Otherwise another great gun would be a Ruger Semi-Auto 44 Mag. Great Shooter.

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Bought my boy a CVA Scout 44mag for Christmas last year, he got 2 last year with his cousins Handi 44mag. Guess we will see how the CVA stacks up this year.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I really like my T/C Encore. The inlines offer better performance than traditional muzzleloaders and you can get wood or synthetic stock and you can change barrels to other calibers for other uses.:draw:

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    I will be using a Remington Model 8 chambered in .35 Remington. Just need to trim 0.12" off the brass to make it legal for Deer in Indiana. Shot it this past weekend and it was dead on at 150 yards. Plus it is cool to be using a gun that was made 84 years ago.

images

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Get a T/C Encore and you can swap barrels and use a new caliber every year. I've been doing it since 1998. First as a muzzleloader, then as a pistol and now as a PCR.

Top Bottom