• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m4lover

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    well that all depends. If you're accurate get a muzzle loader so you can get some more range. If not then i would get a shotgun, shorter range but you have some extra shots :)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    During this past season, the special antlerless season, I took two doe in about 6 seconds with a Rossi/Puma model 92 in .454 Casull.

That's one sweet rifle.

armyvet209

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    LAKE COUNTY
    normally i use my t/c prohunter muzzle loader but swapped out the barrel this past season for a 20" .460 s&W barrel topped with a leupold scope. it was fantastic, probably will be what i use from now on during the firearms season. dropped a nice 8 point dead in his tracks at 150 yards.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Next season maybe up around White County with the TC New Englander with tang peep sight, .458 bore and 24" twist. It's working great with Lyman #457124 cast from straight lead, just lubed, not sized, seated on a card wad. Or the TC flintlock Renegade rebored to .58. Both are good shooters.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Same thing Ive been using for 13yrs now....A Remington 1187 Auto :rockwoot: Get the slug barrel and the field barrel and you can hunt turkey, deer, rabbit, dove and did I say TURKEY! :D

You've got plenty of time to figure out what to get! :n00b:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    If you are just trying deer hunting and don't know if you will stick with it, go with a pump slug gun. I have 12 ga. And a 20. And a .458 SOCOM AR. And I will be adding a bolt gun in .458 SOCOM this year. It's just fun to have choices.

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    I use to gun hunt deer alot but last several years ive only archery hunted since it was more economical. Guns ive used were my 870 20g. Smoothbore,cva optima pro 50 cal. And borrowed my dads 1100 with rifled barrel one year. I like the ammo capacity and fast pointing of the shotgun but ammo is so expensive,muzzle loader was nice cause the extra distance but very slow to reload which is where im getting interested in the pistol cartrige single shots. I can reload for them, better range than my smoothbore and quicker to load and bring up than a muzzleloader

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I picked a rifle

When they opened up pistol caliber rifles several years ago I bought a model 92 Winchester in 44-40. It is a sweet shooting rifle and great for a teenager to start out on too. I wanted a .45 LC or .44 Mag when I started shopping but found a great deal on the 44-40. Plus I knew I was going to reload for it anyway.
    Last year I decided it was time for a new deer rifle. After 22 1/2 years in the Army, a big bore upper for my AR seemed like a natural choice. After tons of research on the .50 Beowulf, .458 SOCOM and .450 Bushmaster, I settled on the Bushmaster. (after last season I call it the Beast Master :)) Half a box of ammo to sight it in and now when I pull the trigger, things die.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Spainy79, Hershal House is one of the best when it comes to building a traditional flintlock, it's going to cost you though. Probably start around $3500 and go up.
    I can build you one for less than half that price.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    You said traditional muzzle loader. TC still makes the Hawkins in flintlock and percussion. So does Lyman. For years I used the TC New Englander. A lot of deer fell to that rifle, even an elk in Colorado. When fully rifled barrels became available I used mostly my 870. In the last few years it has been my Marlin 44mag 1894 cowboy rifle. Love it. Very traditional and wood stock. Recently bought Rossi 44mag 1892. Plan to use it next season. If all those are too expensive. H&R, Rossi and CVA all have nice single shot 44 mags. Good luck and happy hunting.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Do you want to hunt game or shoot clay birds that a shotgun would work for? A shotgun with slugs would work for gun season and cover the other uses. Muzzle loader will carry you through muzzle loader season and gun season, so you get extra deer season with 1 rifle. If you go with a smokeless powder muzzle loader it is much easier to maintain. Do you shoot handgun calibers that might also be legal to hunt deer with a rifle? If you already shoot 44 magnum or 357 magnum a nice lever action marlin would work well, and you could share the ammo with your revolver. I have the Marlin 44 magnum lever action, but would get the 357 if I did it again. 38 special is easier and cheaper to find for plinking and the 357 is very flat shooting. If you are an AR15 fan the 358 socom is a beast, but very expensive to shoot. Lots of people are going with the handy rifle single shot as it is inexpensive to buy and very accurate.

Top Bottom