Which gun designer made the largest contribution to the firearms world?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greatest weapons designer.

• Total voters

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "Between 1883 and 1885 Maxim patented gas, recoil and blow-back methods of operation." Hiram Stevens Maxim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Based on the wording of the poll, I would say that Maxim's contribution of automatic loading was the greatest to the firearms world.

Agreed. If not for Maxim's work...there wouldn't have been much in the way of inspiration for Browning to leap-frog off of.

-J-

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Maxim doesn't get the credit he deserves...

Also, glad to see two different Hoosiers on the list. (one Native, one adopted)

-J-

Just through the process of googling other stuff I saw that the Gatling Gun Company was in Indianapolis. I never knew that. I also didn't know that Richard Gatling was buried in Crown Hill Cemetary. You learn something new every day.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    J.M. Browning for sure, decades later many of his designs are are still relevent and highly sought after. Also I cant think of any firearms designer who came up with as many successful designs.

I think Glock deserves some credit due to the rising popularity of polymer framed and striker fired guns.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No question to me, John Moses Browning.

If not for Maxim's work...there wouldn't have been much in the way of inspiration for Browning to leap-frog off of.

Ummm, are we sure of this? It was my understanding of history that when JMB cobbled together his first emma gee (from a lever action rifle) which lead to the Potato Digger, JMB had not seen a machine gun before.

Am I not correct in this?:dunno:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I had to go with Browning due to my affection for the 1911. I considered Garand as well. Great rifle. But settled on Browning in the end because of how long the 1911 design has endured.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All on the list made considerable contributions in their own way.
    I went with J.M.B. not just because of the 1911 but the 50 BMG and others as well.
    Both are still in use around the world and have had a significant impact on weapons design for more years.
    Garand was great as was Stoner, Kalashnicov, Colt, Glock (yuck) and all the others on the list. Gattlin and Maxim, they are worthy of mention.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I couldnt help it. Yes Browning and 1911, but " greatest battle implement ever devised" had to win my vote. M1 Garand

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Browning was a mechanical genius with many different designs & mechanisms still copied today. Still in use in the milatary and sporting fields around the world years after his passing.
    Klasnikov & Glock are one basic design made in large numbers.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I don't see how anyone could vote for any of them besides browning. Browning didn't just make the 1911, he patented tons of stuff, including an entirely revolutionary shotgun, air cooled machine guns, the 1911 and similar autoloading pistols, etc. Nobody had the kind of breadth of firearms design that he had.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I don't see how anyone could vote for any of them besides browning. Browning didn't just make the 1911, he patented tons of stuff, including an entirely revolutionary shotgun, air cooled machine guns, the 1911 and similar autoloading pistols, etc. Nobody had the kind of breadth of firearms design that he had.
    i would agree with most of what you said, but it was colts manufactuing facilities that produced the most weapons and designs. including designs from browning and stoner. plus the pistol that won the west.
    i personally believed this should have been a closer contest.

Top Bottom