Which gun designer made the largest contribution to the firearms world?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greatest weapons designer.

• Total voters

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Had to go with Browning as well, many important names on that list that have left a mark in the gun world, but J.M.B has left several marks, many of which were of an original design or idea. Even today, there are multiple companies making their fortunes based on his designs. A close runner up would have to be Sam Colt, having been one of the pioneers in the era that brought us into cartridge firearms.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    The poll should be called "greatest US gun designers".
    Besides Kalashnikov and Glock they are all (I think) Americans.
    That's just a small part of gun designers and doesn't include many foreign designers.
    What about George Johann Luger, Benjamin Robins, Claude Minié and many other designers from Europe to Asia.
    All the designers listed are part of modern history, some of them even still alive today.
    I dont think you can call any of them "the greatest", they all changed and created great designs but it's only because the designer before them came up with a great design himself.
    The guy who came up with the musquet, modern ammo, the rifling, the flintlock design and all those things is just as important as the latest designer who created guns that we use today.
    i am sorry i only had space for ten.
    stuff like rifling and modern ammo will be in the next poll.

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    I'm going with Browning too.
    His designs no matter if it was an improvement to a design or a complete design of his own cover a lot of firearms that are still in use today.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Went with Kalashnikov...I mean, I DID just pick up my first rifle ever about an hour ago that just happened to be an AK. He obviously influenced me a bit.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    suprised that no love going towards garand. rifle pretty much won world war 2

Im sure the soldiers behind it kinda helped too. :):
    Your question was about the best gun designer, not the weapon that changed history the most.So im not surprised that the Garand doesn't get much love.

Also im not sure it's the most important gun of WW2 anyway, many good guns were used by the Allies, including British, Russian, Polish and others.
    Even the Germans had some great gun designed who could have been more important than the US Garand (like the StG 44 that inspired the AK 47).

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wow what a tough choice to pick just one. They were all great and thankfully we had them all! I had to go with Browning though since I could only pick one.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Im sure the soldiers behind it kinda helped too. :):
    Your question was about the best gun designer, not the weapon that changed history the most.So im not surprised that the Garand doesn't get much love.

Also im not sure it's the most important gun of WW2 anyway, many good guns were used by the Allies, including British, Russian, Polish and others.
    Even the Germans had some great gun designed who could have been more important than the US Garand (like the StG 44 that inspired the AK 47).
    yes you got me on that one.
    i would have included the makers of the stg 44, but it was designed by a company, not a person.
    the garand design is still used today. its the design idea, not the weapon that deserves the most credit.
    and yes i reconize the soldiers had alot to do with winning ww2. i was just trying to point out the signifigance of the design. yes i cant spell.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Browning, no contest. My daughter chose him for her 8th grade history fair at school. I bought her a book that contains a biography and all his patents. The man was a flat out genius and one hard workin SOB.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    Browning and Colt were the obvious answers to this question but I'm surprised that Glock did not receive more votes. Like them or hate them, Glock revolutionized the world of non-metal gun materials and built a line that puts all others today to shame when the topic is reliability. Sig used to tout themselves as the "To Hell and Back Reliability" company. Nonsense. They can't make 2 guns in a row off an Exeter assembly line that work correctly. If all other manufacturers were to disappear tomorrow, and only one were allowed to remain, and the world was in chaos, with repair and spare parts impossible, let Glock be the one.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'll have to go with John C. Garand. The man built the first successful semi-automatic rifle, used by our military; it was a game-changer.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I voted Browning, look at how many of his inventions are still used today. And how many of his ideas spawned other inventions. Lots of smart people on that list though, Colt, Garand, etc...

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    I went with Browning.

I think much of John Browning's work, as evidenced by the fact that I have two of his designs belted on today!

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Browning by a mile. So many different designs of his own, and modifications to some others. No one else on the list has done as much with firearms as Browning did.
    Many people think of the 1911 and leave it at that, which would probably be good enough given the others on the list, but dont forget about the Ma Deuce, 1894 Winchester, Browning Auto-5 shotgun, and the Hi-Power. He designed several cartridges too that are still in use today.
    Designed guns for Winchester, Browning, Colt, Remington, FN and a few others.
    Who else on the list did all that?
    Nobody.
    Like I said, not even close...

Top Bottom