Which gun designer made the largest contribution to the firearms world?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greatest weapons designer.

• Total voters
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    Colt for changing manufacturing processes and making the first practical revolver.
    Mauser for the bolt action that's still copied today.
    Maxim for the machine gun and silencer.
    Browning for, well, it's already been said.
    The rest blend together for me.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I voted John M. Browning ..... YOU did NOT list Smith, or Wesson or B. Tyler Henry or Oliver Winchester ..... or "Carbine" Williams ...
    THIS is my 3000 th post .....

Last edited:

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    John Moses Browning designed de novo and improved virtually every aspect of gun engineering and manufacture. We still, to this today, utilize many of his designed unchanged and unmodified.

The man is the Nikola Tesla of the firearms world, and that is the highest praise it occurs to me that I could give anyone in his respective field.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    For design, innovation, and the timelessness of his creations (as another poster pointed out, many are virtually unchanged), then it's John M. Browning, hands down.

2nd place for me would go to Mr. Kalashnikov; imagine what he could have done in a western society?

vanguard2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Fairmount
    Like others have stated, Browning has designed so many firearms that have withstood the test of time and are ageless. The 1911 has to be the most copied gun in the world.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    No Sh**. The Mauser brothers had something going on.. and yes, there are many men that brought an epiphany to production (Garand and Stoner for instance). But, J. Moses Browning is your man.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Wow. That's a tough choice when you first look at the list.

Process of elimination... Garand, Glock, Gatling, Maxim and Thompson are off the list in the first round... easy... one hit wonders, if you will.

Since the question is "largest contribution to the firearms world"...

Even though I think they are by far the most popular (AK's and AR's) you have to ask, what are the other accomplishments? Stoner and Kalashnakov are off the list.

Mauser actions are still used today and they are the basis for arguably the best bolt rifles ever made, but aside from that? The Mausers are off the list.

That leaves Sam Colt and JM Browning. As posed in the OP "pick the one you think made the biggest impact in firearms design"... since many of Colt's guns (and Winchesters, and...) were actually Browning designs, the nod goes to...

John Moses Browning.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Look at it like this; take away the #1 design from each one of them and who's left? Browning, Colt and the Mauser boys. The rest were one hit wonders(yes, all Glock models count as one).

Take away Colt and Mausers as the were pretty much one trick ponies, 6 shooters and a bolt actions(yea, yea that broomhandle was sweet).

And the winner is?

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I'm surprised Mikhail Kalashnikov didn't get more votes. According to the Miltary Channel, the AK47 is the greatest military rifle ever produced.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    What a great thread !

Emotional response from these quarters.

Every time I pick up Dad's Hi-Power, turn it over in my hands and shoot it the feeling is powerful!

Top Bottom