Which big chain store has the best pistol selection and prices?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I have a chance to trade in a bunch of hotel points for gift cards at Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, or Dick's Sporting Goods. I live in Evansville and the only one we have here is Dick's but I travel a lot and can make it to Bass Pro or Cabela's if they're better.
    So, what do you guys think? Which store should I choose for the best selection and pricing on a new pistol? I'm probably going to look for another Smith 629 or maybe a Sig 1911 or maybe something else will catch my eye later.
    Thanks

Smoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Laporte
    The Bass Pro in Portage seems to be high on most handguns. I did buy a Ruger 22/45 for a decent price but have not found anything else that I would pay their price. I don't know if their pricing is the same throughout the state.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    Both Cabelas and Bass Pro has high prices...the only thing that Cabelas has going for it is they sell used guns. Not worth the trip though

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    If they're Hotel points, isn't it like free money? So, the higher price isn't so painful because it's free money?

The Dick's in Greenwood (or Castleton/North Indy for that matter) doesn't sell handguns. I've never set foot in a Cabellas store :(, but if I did I think I'd like it...

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Also one other thing... If your with Priority Club as I amthey let me at one time use my points to purchase a product that wasn't on theirlist of rewards. I simply gave them the store's name with contact info with amodel number of the product I wanted and they e-mailed me back as to who manypoints it would cost me.

This was like 10 years ago though so I don't know if theystill do it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've never seen handguns in a Dicks Sporting Goods. They have recently started to carry AR's.

I can't speak to the relative pricing of the other 2.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    What, Gander Mountain isn't on the list?:)

Yeah, I don't think the Dick's in Bloomington has handguns either. If MC Sports is an available selection, they can be pretty competitive and the one in Bloomington has a fair selection.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I've been to all three stores in different areas of the country. IMHO, Cabelas has the best selection and does have used firearms for sale. I don't recall seeing used ones at Bass Pro, but they may have some. I don't think Dick's even sells handguns any longer.

Personally, I would try Cabelas and chisel the hell out of the price with them. I don't pay full retail for anything.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I've been to all three stores in different areas of the country. IMHO, Cabelas has the best selection and does have used firearms for sale. I don't recall seeing used ones at Bass Pro, but they may have some. I don't think Dick's even sells handguns any longer.

Personally, I would try Cabelas and chisel the hell out of the price with them. I don't pay full retail for anything.

This is my opinion also, but Cabela's doesn't haggle, I've tried.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Check into their price matching policies as well.

As much as I would never want to buy a gun from Gander, they do have a price matching policy, although finding the exact item you want in stock and then providing what Gander considers "proof of lower price" might be a bit interesting to do. Not sure if Cabelas or Bass Pro have a similar policy, but worth a shot.

Checkfoo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The "proof of a lower price" concept really depends on the hourly employee your dealing with when you come in, as it applies to Gander. Sometimes he or she will google a link or call a LGS/Big Box, as per the customer, and make it easy. Sometimes they can be turd sandwiches and make you bring in your own add/own proof, and be real anal about the specs.....just depends. No one is on commission so the experience I witness is usually the prior.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Bass Pro Shops only carries bolt action hunting rifles and shotguns. The pistol selection there is decent. I would shop at Cabela's. They have a wide variety of firearms and accessories, and their prices are sometimes better than bass pro shops.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    The selection is great great at all these big box stores because their prices are full blown retail and then some. I say Cabela's cause some of them will carry a good selection of C&R stuff.

7.62asprin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I have a chance to trade in a bunch of hotel points for gift cards at Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, or Dick's Sporting Goods. I live in Evansville and the only one we have here is Dick's but I travel a lot and can make it to Bass Pro or Cabela's if they're better.
    So, what do you guys think? Which store should I choose for the best selection and pricing on a new pistol? I'm probably going to look for another Smith 629 or maybe a Sig 1911 or maybe something else will catch my eye later.
    Thanks

Hey there fellow Evansville bro:rockwoot:
    Gander Mountain has a good selection. Dick's doesn't have pistols and their rifle selection is sub par. Also they're service in the rifle department is rather bad too in my experiences.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I checked with my hotel company (Choice Hotels) and they said Gander Mountain isn't on their list and they didn't think they could add it. It sounds like you guys are saying that none of these places have good deals on pistols.
    I guess I should just cash in my points for gas cards and then use my gas money to go to a regular gun shop. I just thought it would be nice if I could trade in some of my 300,000+ hotel points for goodies that I want. (Like I said, I travel a LOT for work)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Cabela's is up in Hammond, pretty near Chicago. I got past there once, and they had a pretty huge selection, but they seem to want to keep it. I did find a good deal on a "used" 92FS that you couldn't tell had ever been fired, so that came home with me, but aside from having the credits I probably wouldn't make a special trip.

Top Bottom