Which big chain store has the best pistol selection and prices?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    In EVV, I would stop and look at red ghost gun shop. Good selection, knowledge, and the price is not jacked up. Gandur has a good thanksgiving specials.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I go to my local stores like Westforth or Blights to buy my guns and parts but for window shopping, I go to Cabela's that is even closer to me because they do have a lot more pistol selection. Westforth has a lot more rifle selections like ARs and AKs

Irishman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Bloomfield
    Bass Pro in Clarksville had a great selection, I didn't pay attention to prices though, it was my first time to Bass Pro and I was in shock!

GAF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    NE of Indy
    If they're Hotel points, isn't it like free money? So, the higher price isn't so painful because it's free money?

The Dick's in Greenwood (or Castleton/North Indy for that matter) doesn't sell handguns. I've never set foot in a Cabellas store :(, but if I did I think I'd like it...

FYI, someone just told me that Dick's in Castleton is starting to carry a lot more black rifle accessories. No actual AR's, but I'm interested in seeing what they have.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have a chance to trade in a bunch of hotel points for gift cards at Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, or Dick's Sporting Goods. I live in Evansville and the only one we have here is Dick's but I travel a lot and can make it to Bass Pro or Cabela's if they're better.
    So, what do you guys think? Which store should I choose for the best selection and pricing on a new pistol? I'm probably going to look for another Smith 629 or maybe a Sig 1911 or maybe something else will catch my eye later.
    Thanks

I would say Cabela's has the best out of those. Been to Bass Pro, and all theirs are pretty high and not a very good selection. I have been to Dick's as well, but once again, not a very good selection, and prices, while not bad, seemed to have been better at Cabela's. :twocents:

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm gonna try Cabela's. I'm sure I'll find something to use my hotel points on. I guess this is one small perk to having to be gone from home a lot...besides the simple fact that I have a job that I usually like.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Bass Pro in Clarksville had a great selection, I didn't pay attention to prices though, it was my first time to Bass Pro and I was in shock!

Yes Bass Pro in Clarksville has a lot of guns, including handguns. Very good selection of popular models. People at the counter seem friendly enough. Prices are High! But that is not unusual or out of line in comparison to the other large chain stores. Sometimes a person can get a fair price on a clearance firearm. A friend of mine bought a shotgun there a couple of years ago and our experience was good. That said I tend to avoid Bass Pro and spend my money at my local shops.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    What, Gander Mountain isn't on the list?:)

Yeah, I don't think the Dick's in Bloomington has handguns either. If MC Sports is an available selection, they can be pretty competitive and the one in Bloomington has a fair selection.

I'd go with this if you can manage to get a certificate for MC, been to the one in Bloomington a few times and they have a large selection and decent prices. One of only two (I think) in the state that sells guns.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Is there a walmart option as they can order alot of the same stuff dicks can but cheaper. Now bass pro in clarksville has one of the bigger handgun selections around besides kesslers/orion arms that is down the street. Now because orion arms is a local( within 1 mile) of that store I dont see why they wouldnt price match.

an example of bass pro is the glock
    gen4 at bps 560/650 i cant remember 100%
    gen4 at kessler 499
    gen3 at kessler 425

ruger sr-22 at shootersupply(louisville across the river)- 299
    sr-22 in kessler 370
    sr-22 in bps 370 but no stock

cjfarmer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I was in Dick's one day in Evansville just looking and the guy next to me was looking at a S&W m&p 15-22. He asked if they would price match Whitakers and the clerk told him they would. I thought that was pretty coo.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I was in Dick's one day in Evansville just looking and the guy next to me was looking at a S&W m&p 15-22. He asked if they would price match Whitakers and the clerk told him they would. I thought that was pretty coo.
    That is one advantage of a really large chain store like dicks or walmart is that they have a blanket price policy. Bass pro, gander mountain, and cabelas can pick and choose alot more of what they can control.

One issue is dicks cant even order a pistol as I dont remember seeing any in their catalog but i may be wrong.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    If you can get the Cabelas sale flyer, they sometimes have decent deals when something's on sale. Their regular pricing is high, but so is anything local.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I would recommend Gander Mountain too if that's an option. Did not see it on the original list, but they tend to have some decent used handguns if you are looking at a chain store option.

joker762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Logansport
    I 2nd the Big R vote. I bought my last two handguns from Big R in wabash. They used to have a "been in the inventory too long" list that they had some pretty good prices on. They also used to wheel and deal a bit if you'd get the manager back there. They've since stopped that practice and now just have some pretty decent deals about every other week in their flyer.

Top Bottom