• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Going through the latest issue of Gun Buyer mag. There are so many different AR-15 clones out there. Some I've never ever heard of. Which ones have good reps and which ones are just junk? Which manufacturers are exceptional and which ones are average?

Alexander Arms
    American Spirit Arms
    Armalite
    Bushmaster
    Colt
    CMMG
    Daniel Defense
    Del-Ton
    DPMS
    DAX
    Knight's Armament
    Les Baer
    LMT
    Next Generation Arms
    Para USA
    RRA
    Ruger SR-556
    Sabre Defense
    S&W
    STAG
    Wilson Combat

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    My favorite is not on your list, Spikes Tactical. The CS is amazing! They have complete rifles, uppers, assembled lowers, complete billet setup, Check it out! All of those makers are fine I just prefer ST's Kool-Aid.

EDIT: But if your only considering the ones on your list LMT, or DPMS (Love their Mark 12)

Last edited:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    The S&W M&P 15 is a good rifle. Accurate and consistent.
    If I were you I'd wait another month or two to buy one. There's gonna be a glut of those things on the market soon and the prices are gonna fall through the floor.

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    If I could do it all over again I would probably go with a Daniel Defense rifle this time around. Either the DDM4 or the DDM4v3

sonrider657

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    You forgot to list DoubleStar. They provide the best value for your dollar IMO.

I have several AR's and my DoubleStar is my go-to gun.

green.jpg

Z71Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Brownsburg, IN
    Rock River or Colt. After you buy the first you'll be wanting more. Once your more knowledgable about what's out there you can build the rest.

At least that's what I'm doing.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    What are you after?

Accuracy: Colt Match, Les Bauer, DPMS SASS, JP Precision
    Awesome but pricey: Rock River Arms, Daniel Defense
    Cheap: DPMS, Double Star
    Deer Hunting: Bushmaster 450, RRA 458 SOCOM
    Totally cool: Any AR pistol. Best to buy a BRAND NEW stripped lower and assemble yourself to ensure it was never registered as a rifle. Bad things happen if you put a short barrel on a receiver that has bee registered as a rifle.
    Fun as heck but totally worthless: Any AR15 chambered in .223 with a CMMG conversion to 22. If this is important to you get a 1:12 or 1:14 twist barrel.
    Junk: Olympic, Blackthorne, Vulcan

I've got 2 Colts (both match grade), A DPMS SASS, 2 RRA, 6 DPMS, and 2 Double Stars, in calibers from 22LR to 50BMG. Well, I used to until all my guns were stolen. Now I just have sticks :).

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Well accuracy is at the top of my list. Haven't picked a price range yet, but it would max out at $1500. There are a lot of "likes" on here. Any that should be avoided? Definately looking for a company that's going to be around long term.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i personally would avoid Olympic, Vulcan/Hesse/Blackthorne and DPMS (puts on flame suit).

do what i did: buy a Colt LE 6920 (semi-auto M4 with a 16 inch barrel) for about $1100. buy a used EoTech (~$300) and a BUIS (~$50). spend the last 50 bucks on some bargain mags (i recently bought 10 for $6/mag).

now i will admit that Colt rifles are not always the prettiest looking ones. if you look on ARF.com, you will always see threads about how someone's colt was scratched. but rarely, if ever, see threads about Colt rifles failing (though it does happen).

ymmv

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    My most accurate AR that you can cart around is a 20" Colt Match. You're looking at $1500 for that rifle brand new. It is accurized and with optics and handloads can hold MOA out to 400 yarsds.

I've also got a got a DPMS lower, Model 1 Sales upper in .223 (24" SS bull barrel, NB BCG, Jard adjustable trigger set at 1.5#, MagPul PRS Precision stock, Super Sniper 10x42M) that is only good for bench due to weight and light trigger pull. It's a 1:7 twist, and is sub MOA to 600 yards and on target out to 800 with 90gr handloads. I've had a couple days where I've been at about 3" groups at 600 yards (no wind, everything perfect, yada yada yada). Certainly don't shoot like that every time I'm out (anymore), but it's consistently sub MOA. I've got ~ $2K in that rifle.

Well accuracy is at the top of my list. Haven't picked a price range yet, but it would max out at $1500. There are a lot of "likes" on here. Any that should be avoided? Definately looking for a company that's going to be around long term.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm looking at a Rock River with a .22 conversion kit. Besides Atterbury, where can a .556 round be fired?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    What's your goal? To be ATAS? Then go with DD, Colt, Bravo, or any other 16" upper with a rail that allows you to hang a dishwasher off the left side and a microwave off of the right.

If you want a well setup 300+ yd rifle that also does its job up close, then I think the best money you can spend is on an 18" or 20" Clark Gator - Clark / Miculek Gator AR-15 Semi-Auto Rifle The other options, IMO, is a 18" rifle from JP Rifles or from Mid-South Tactical Network (MSTN)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom