nf5lcx.jpg

Last edited:

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Before someone else posts it......................

Mosin.

Just to be clear I'm not advocating the use of a Mosin for long range shooting, I am simply posting it so it doesn't have to be posted later. Because it will be.

Last edited:

balorg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Bloomington
    I would purchase an FAL. They are fun rifles, and I think far better than the Springfield. However, I don't know how .308 performs on the AR-15 platform. Just my two cents.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I'm curious, I've always wanted a HK91, I've not seen anyone post this suggestion. Are they that bad? How about the PTR91? I know about them beating up brass, they are very accurate though, right? I would have to go with the PTR just because of how inexpensive mags are, along with most of the other parts.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Here is the thing. If you are going to shoot long range you can't do it with a 3-5 MOA gun. Unless you want to shoot at HUGE targets. That being said MOST battle rifles (not supermatch/custom builds) are out of the running. Including the HK.

The other thing that is bad about the HK is it's nearly impossible to reload for because the neck is crimped so badly. Now you have a gun that won't hold moa AND you can't reload for it.

This is why I asked what "long range" is. Some say it's 200 yards. I can do that with my 10/22. I say it's 1,000. I can't do that with a gas gun. Let alone a gas gun that is a 2 moa gun. Hell, I have a hard enough time doing it with a moa gun.

You want to shoot along way accurately? You're going to pay for it.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I'm curious, I've always wanted a HK91, I've not seen anyone post this suggestion. Are they that bad? How about the PTR91? I know about them beating up brass, they are very accurate though, right? I would have to go with the PTR just because of how inexpensive mags are, along with most of the other parts.

I posted a link for MSG90 and someone else suggested a PSG-1 which are HK-91s. They are just more of a highly tuned nature and more expensive.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Thanks downzero, that's good info for me and op. Sig1473 I'll have to look up that psg-1, that sounds sweet. I want a good battle rifle first, 1000 yard gun I'll wait for. Maybe a century c-91!:D;)

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Ozzy, what is your rifle shooting skill level? I am not trying to insult you, but you are new to the board.

The best rifle on the planet won't make you a great marksman, so possibly with your $4K ceiling you should buy a less expensive rifle, much more ammo, and practice, attend an Appleseed event, or whatever is suitable to your skill level. Just like everything else in life, rifles are governed by diminishing returns. A $2000 rifle is not going to be twice as good as a $1000 rifle. This is especially true in the world of super accurate rifles, you are paying hundreds of dollars for fractions of inches. Also, apart from the rifle, you definitely want high quality optics. The glass is nearly as important as the rifle.

If you're already a skilled shooter and willing to spend the money, I would suggest the Sako TRG-22, or the CZ-750. Otherwise, I would say go with a Remington 700 or any of the various Savage 10 models. They are inexpensive, accurate and have a slew of accessories and add-ons to suit your shooting style and sense of aesthetics.

preston1026

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    one big question you need to answer is would you rather have really tight group at distance but tight tolerances and more sensitive to all kinds of ammo. Or something more along the lines or 3 moa but kind used all ammo to run through less prone to failures.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    For a long range precision semi auto, go with an AR-10/LR308 rifle. I love the M1A platform as much as anyone but it takes a lot more work to build one to shoot accurately - and maintain that accuracy - than it does the AR platform.

You will not spend your money more wisely than on one of these: Precision AR-10 . Top it off with a Nightforce NXS scope and quality ammunition and you will have a MOA accurate, 1000yd capable rifle.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    As far as cartridge is concerned there are probably others better than 308 but you can buy match 308 everywhere. As far as rifles are concerned there are plenty of good choices. I have a DPMS with scope for around $1,500 but have never shot it long range. A friend of mine bought a Robar SR90 after 9/11 with all the goodies and scope for around 5K. I don't think he has shot it yet but I would love to own it.

If you are going to shoot a lot, consider that you might have to change barrels at some time.

For me the DPMS is good enough, affordable, I like the floating barrel and can afford to shoot it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Don't sell the DPMS short. I recently had to sell this one:
    IMG_5986.jpg

Granted I tricked it out quite a bit but it was still the DPMS barrel, BCG and receiver and it held sub MOA at 1200 yards (with plenty of witnesses) down in TN last year. There are better options than the .308 from an accuracy and ease of shooting accurately standpoint. The DPMS rifles are available in .260 and they are laser beams but will wear your barrel out a bit quicker than a .308.

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    Ozzy, what is your rifle shooting skill level? I am not trying to insult you, but you are new to the board.

The best rifle on the planet won't make you a great marksman, so possibly with your $4K ceiling you should buy a less expensive rifle, much more ammo, and practice, attend an Appleseed event, or whatever is suitable to your skill level. Just like everything else in life, rifles are governed by diminishing returns. A $2000 rifle is not going to be twice as good as a $1000 rifle. This is especially true in the world of super accurate rifles, you are paying hundreds of dollars for fractions of inches. Also, apart from the rifle, you definitely want high quality optics. The glass is nearly as important as the rifle.

If you're already a skilled shooter and willing to spend the money, I would suggest the Sako TRG-22, or the CZ-750. Otherwise, I would say go with a Remington 700 or any of the various Savage 10 models. They are inexpensive, accurate and have a slew of accessories and add-ons to suit your shooting style and sense of aesthetics.
    I have a place to shoot at distance of arround 600yds. i am wanting a semi rifle that can do that and then some. I was wanting to spend under 4k total rifle, optics, bipod, and other goodies. I was arguing with a friend as to which was better the m1a or the ar, I like the m1a, but the ar could probably do more for less money. A big thanks to you and the other members for all the info and other rifle sugestions.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    $4k huh?

Buy a DPMS and a S&B scope and you'll be ready to go. Plus the DPMS will take magpul mags. This is all you'd ever need for 600 yard shooting. And you'll never have to upgrade your scope!!!

Top Bottom