• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Under pressure with two snails
    Thanks. Im sure I will. Rumor has it they still have one if you change your mind.

Its funny bc I went in also looking for an AK. Well a PAP pistol honestly. It hadnt come in yet so instead of another AK I ended up with an other 1911.

Strange coincedence. :n00b:

That is a strange coincidence! I left with an SP2022 and my SGL21 should be @ Indy Gun Safety by the end of the week, so I'll have to put off another 1911 for now, unfortunately.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    1911's are good. Now, (with absolutely no disrespect to Springfield) you may want to shop around some more. Let me help:

Les Baer
    Wilson Combat
    Nighthawk Custom
    Kimber
    D&L Sports
    Burns Custom
    Mark Morris Custom Pistols
    Cylinder and Slide

See? The fun is in the shopping.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    :cool: And if you didn't like the checkering on the TRP, you could try holding Ed Brown scales or chain link...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is hard not to hold the TRP with that deadly spiking. Mine never gets away from my grip and I always know I have shot it for a day or two.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    1911's are good. Now, (with absolutely no disrespect to Springfield) you may want to shop around some more.

Also I trust this man's word. If hes been shooting 1911s for 50 years and has shot almost all of them but still prefers the Springfield. I figure he must know somting.

Anything above a TRP and you are paying for a name. I have shot all the pieces on your wish list and actually prefer my Trophy Match or my TRP.
    They are are way cool etc but run no better than the Springers IMHO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The pressure is on now..............;)

We all like different aspects of the same design and it is good so many offerings exist so we have a lot to banter about. All of the brands/manf mentioned are top notch in their own right. For the "Money" I have to go with the Springfield. Friends have dropped huge "Money" on the Les Bairs and nighthawks etc. and they run really well. I was near sucked into that level of the addiction myself but
    my TRP saved me. It does everything they do and as well at least for my rock ape shooting style. My Trophy is one of the sweetest hand guns I have ever shot.
    Kimber, Wilson etc and so on...all great pieces.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    The pressure is on now..............;)

We all like different aspects of the same design and it is good so many offerings exist so we have a lot to banter about. All of the brands/manf mentioned are top notch in their own right. For the "Money" I have to go with the Springfield. Friends have dropped huge "Money" on the Les Bairs and nighthawks etc. and they run really well. I was near sucked into that level of the addiction myself but
    my TRP saved me. It does everything they do and as well at least for my rock ape shooting style. My Trophy is one of the sweetest hand guns I have ever shot.
    Kimber, Wilson etc and so on...all great pieces.

Agreed!! The TRP is by far one of if not the best value for the dollar out there. Unfortunatly mine didn't save me from the next level of addiction....:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agreed!! The TRP is by far one of if not the best value for the dollar out there. Unfortunatly mine didn't save me from the next level of addiction....:dunno:

Do you see/feel a difference in the next level that warrants the expense. I am just curious if my frugal nature is limiting me. Having shot several offerings from the big boy's I am not un-impressed with their offerings I just do not see enough to get me so excited as to second mortgage the house for a 1911.

Opinions and remarks please.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Do you see/feel a difference in the next level that warrants the expense. I am just curious if my frugal nature is limiting me. Having shot several offerings from the big boy's I am not un-impressed with their offerings I just do not see enough to get me so excited as to second mortgage the house for a 1911.

Opinions and remarks please.

I think that it is a completely subjective, personal preference/desire sort of thing on what one considers "worth it" but can say for myself that I have no regrets in stepping up in "levels" after just comparing the difference in fit and finish of my Ed Brown and others.

In full disclosure, I don't have a SA-but comparing to the Remington and Kimber that I have and the others I have had the opportunity to shoot any doubts I might have had were erased with the first magazine I fired from my EB.

I still enjoy shooting other 1911s and my others go to the range with me still when I truly go to spend a day shooting, but for carry I will always pick my Ed Brown when carrying a 1911...except when I am carrying while RSO'ing and may want to try to put a few rounds through my EB and the one in my holster has to stay there.

I like several models at different price points, but can now fully appreciate the differences in fit, finish and the way the slide feels in action!

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    1911's suck because sometimes the grip safety squeaks a little when you grip it. It could alert a bad guy and is just not good for tactical situations.

On a more serious note +1 for Springfields! I am sure if I had a Springfield it would not squeak like my Kimber (which I only have because I couldn't find anyone with a Springfield in stock - I am not joking).

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    As far as quality for the price is concerned I, at this point in time, find myself in full agreement with Churchmouse.

The SA I put in layaway is right up there with (if not better than) my Kimber in fit and finish that was over 1k, Its tighter and better finished than my Colt that was over 1.1k, and I bought a set of hogue grips and a box of ammo at the same time I put it the Springer in layaway and was well under 1k even after tax.

Id love to have an Ed Brown, or Wilson Combat but I cannot justify spending 3-5k on what is essentially a tool when a $850.00 one does just as good of a job with just as good of a warranty and maybe even better CS.

Ive heard Les Baer isnt the nicest guy when you claim one of his guns doesnt run right.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    As far as quality for the price is concerned I, at this point in time, find myself in full agreement with Churchmouse.

The SA I put in layaway is right up there with (if not better than) my Kimber in fit and finish that was over 1k, Its tighter and better finished than my Colt that was over 1.1k, and I bought a set of hogue grips and a box of ammo at the same time I put it the Springer in layaway and was well under 1k even after tax.

Id love to have an Ed Brown, or Wilson Combat but I cannot justify spending 3-5k on what is essentially a tool when a $850.00 one does just as good of a job with just as good of a warranty and maybe even better CS.

Ive heard Les Baer isnt the nicest guy when you claim one of his guns doesnt run right.

I have heard/read the same about Baer.

I think that you've done great with the SA, and will be very happy. If not-I doubt you would have any trouble finding someone gracious enough to take it off your hands! :cool:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT

A Chevy Aveo will do just as good a job of getting you from A to B as a Mercedes S class.

It just won't be nearly as refined or as enjoyable an experience. And so it goes with guns.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    there is no cure!!!....

fu592c.jpg

14keh03.jpg

S3010219.jpg

S3010414.jpg