• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Odd, guess I'll be a bit more cautious in the rare time I need to visit a post office.

I actually looked around the door of the Greenwood one, and I don't recall any sort of firearms signage.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Kind of sucks that the only other person I've seen OC'ing in Carmel, happened to be breaking the law by doing so. If I ever spot him again I'll be sure to pass along the information.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Kind of sucks that the only other person I've seen OC'ing in Carmel, happened to be breaking the law by doing so. If I ever spot him again I'll be sure to pass along the information.

Why, what was he doing that needed the attention of LE?

Was he doing something that was, or could have been harmful, to someone or was it simply because you know for a fact that he didn't have a LTCH?

If it's the latter then why not just leave the guy alone? The LTCH is a stupid requirement in the first place in order to be able to carry. Why make it easier for the government (the cops in this case) to infringe on our 2A Rights by informing on a fellow gun-owner who isn't hurting anyone?

If you KNOW the guy has ill intentions then by all means, let someone know. Then again if you know he has ill intentions why wait till you "ever spot him again"?

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Report or inform?

Why, what was he doing that needed the attention of LE?

Was he doing something that was, or could have been harmful, to someone or was it simply because you know for a fact that he didn't have a LTCH?

If it's the latter then why not just leave the guy alone? The LTCH is a stupid requirement in the first place in order to be able to carry. Why make it easier for the government (the cops in this case) to infringe on our 2A Rights by informing on a fellow gun-owner who isn't hurting anyone?

If you KNOW the guy has ill intentions then by all means, let someone know. Then again if you know he has ill intentions why wait till you "ever spot him again"?

Uh, I believe he was saying that he would inform (in a friendly way of course) the person he saw carrying that he was breaking the law by carrying on a federal facility. A friendly heads up ,if you will, not report him to LE. :dunno:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Uh, I believe he was saying that he would inform (in a friendly way of course) the person he saw carrying that he was breaking the law by carrying on a federal facility. A friendly heads up ,if you will, not report him to LE. :dunno:

Ah, OK. If that was what he was saying then...never mind. :)

Sorry, I missed his earlier post. :facepalm:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Ah, OK. If that was what he was saying then...never mind. :)

Sorry, I missed his earlier post. :facepalm:

Yep Yep...Its one thing to challenge the local PD and their knowledge of 2A and Indiana....but good luck with the FBI and in a post office! I wouldnt want to be in anyones shoes with a handgun standing in a post office.

Most likely no pen time...but you can bet the legal costs and fine and the felony will hurt real bad! Just not worth it.

*note* I DO NOT agree with anything about the federal laws governing federal property but it is what it is. Just think...back in the 80's if LTCH/CCW were allowed in post offices...the term "going postal" would probably not have been created.

So far the only state I know that it is allowed and expected for a federal employee for my agency to carry is Alaska. Those bears will eat you! I am seriously considering transfering there next year. :rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    really? I've carried into the Greenwood post office about 4 or 5 times now. Very openly, and to the front service desk people. They never said anything?

I do it all the time. No signs at Mitchell or Bedford of any such complaints. I was probably in the PO at Bedford for a half an hour OC a full size 1911 filling out paper work for a passport and such a little while back. Never got so much as a cross look from anyone.

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    It is illegal to carry in a post office as far as I know. Just because the workers there don't care doesn't mean you won't get busted if a LEO sees you do it. It is the same with any law, it is only as effective as the persons that enforce it.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    That's debatable and I have debated it.

Please see the following thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...irearms_on_federal_property_post_offices.html

Particularly post #43 for my response.

Exactly which word of the following do you NOT understand? Id say its pretty cut and dry.

Poster 158 - Possession of Fire Arms and Other Dangerous Weapons on Postal Service Property is Prohibited by LawDecember 2005
    PSN 7610-03-000-3949
    Possessing a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a federal facility for other than official purposes, causing such a weapon to be present, or attempting to do so are punishable by a fine, imprisonment for up to 1 year, or both.
    If the prohibited weapon is intended to be used to commit a crime, the penalty is an increased fine, imprisonment for up to 5 years, or both.
    Title 18, United States Code, Section 930
    No person on U.S. Postal Service property may carry or store firearms,
    explosives, or other dangerous or deadly weapons, either openly or
    concealed, except for official purposes
    Title 39, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 232.1

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    I do it all the time. No signs at Mitchell or Bedford of any such complaints. I was probably in the PO at Bedford for a half an hour OC a full size 1911 filling out paper work for a passport and such a little while back. Never got so much as a cross look from anyone.
    Yes, perhaps, but is it REALLY worth the risk when you consider the downside? You were lucky, but unless you got a boatload a money, all it is going to take is some Sheeple going all MWAG on you to cost you your rights to carry. For me I figure they are not likely going to make an issue of the parking lot, but i think anyone that runs into a PO with OC is just looking to be defanged... That is until some other sociopath goes and ignores their silly signs and attacks a PO... However, just like the movie theater in Aurora CO, none of the Libtards are going to be able to equate one with the other... ie. SD = SAFER society, not more dangerous....

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    :eek:

What is going on in this thread? I thought this was for where you saw OC, not "is the post office off limits" discussion. Start another thread guys. Lets try to keep on topic.

:ingo:

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    :eek:

What is going on in this thread? I thought this was for where you saw OC, not "is the post office off limits" discussion. Start another thread guys. Lets try to keep on topic.

:ingo:

Hey this is INGO ..... we always go

images

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes, it is DEFINITELY on the No No list under Fed law. Can you say Felony? The guy is lucky you were apparently the only one to notice!

Most likely no pen time...but you can bet the legal costs and fine and the felony will hurt real bad! Just not worth it.

It's a misdemeanor not a felony. Post offices don't fall under the federal facility law. They have their own section specifically for post offices. It's a max of $50 fine and 30 days.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2003-title39-vol1/pdf/CFR-2003-title39-vol1-sec232-1.pdf

§ 232.1
    (l) Weapons and explosives. No person
    while on postal property may carry
    firearms, other dangerous or deadly
    weapons, or explosives, either openly
    or concealed, or store the same on
    postal property, except for official purposes.
    (2) Whoever shall be found guilty of
    violating the rules and regulations in
    this section while on property under
    the charge and control of the Postal
    Service is subject to fine of not more
    than $50 or imprisonment of not more
    than 30 days, or both. Nothing contained
    in these rules and regulations
    shall be construed to abrogate any
    other Federal laws or regulations of
    any State and local laws and regulations
    applicable to any area in which
    the property is situated.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Yes, perhaps, but is it REALLY worth the risk when you consider the downside? You were lucky, but unless you got a boatload a money, all it is going to take is some Sheeple going all MWAG on you to cost you your rights to carry. For me I figure they are not likely going to make an issue of the parking lot, but i think anyone that runs into a PO with OC is just looking to be defanged... That is until some other sociopath goes and ignores their silly signs and attacks a PO... However, just like the movie theater in Aurora CO, none of the Libtards are going to be able to equate one with the other... ie. SD = SAFER society, not more dangerous....

If they already have ya scared out of doing it, haven't you already lost that right?

Top Bottom