• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Flyguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rural Franklin
    But that's exactly what you're doing when you disallow carrying :P Your intentions can be great, but it doesn't excuse the fact that you are prohibiting people from carrying firearms.

And yes, we can get back on topic.

When I was LEO we had range training four times a year. As LEO we were to unload in our car or before ariving. We were not permitted to carry a loaded wepon to the range. Ammo was supplied at the range and we had to clear and clean our weapons before leaving the range.

So don't feel too butt hurt here.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I understand you're a public range and all, but it seems no different than a Walgreens, Best Buy, or Joe's Diner in how it handles responsible gun owners... if one person complains, they typically choose to alienate the gun owner and ask them to cover-up/leave. After all, the majority of people aren't carrying guns, and they are surely the ones that bring in the most money.

However, a gun range seems like a pretty no-nonsense sort of place to allow gun owners to practice their freedoms. I know there's very little you can do about it... it just feels odd. Pipe Puffer doesn't ask me to put out my cigar when I light up, and a range shouldn't ask me to put aside my 2nd amendment rights for a couple of hours.

Not ragging on your personally, because you're not the only range to do this.

--

OC'd Starbucks and gas station so far. Nothing special. Will be carrying out my Wednesday night routine tomorrow of carrying at "That Place" in Greenwood.
    First of all +1 for the top portion and for the bottom, will you be OCing at That Place? I CC'd there the other night and I didnt see any signs.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When I was LEO we had range training four times a year. As LEO we were to unload in our car or before ariving. We were not permitted to carry a loaded wepon to the range. Ammo was supplied at the range and we had to clear and clean our weapons before leaving the range.

I'm not, as I've never been to said range. I just strongly disagree with how they, and most other ranges, pick apart the parts of the 2a that they "support". You're either all or nothing, there's no in-between here. Support it and let responsible gun owners be responsible, or waffle on it and don't show a strong position.

I just cannot see the difference in "safety" when there are 50 guns on a range, but you're not allowed to "carry" one on you.

Now, if you don't want people pulling from the holster to fire downrange, by all means, make it a rule. I'm 100% ok with that. If you unholster your gun, you better have a damn good reason, and it better be a zombie. Otherwise, it's unacceptable, much like it's unacceptable for me to unholster while ordering my morning coffee.

Isn't there a middle-ground here where you can allow people to conceal/OC however they like... but prohibit use of their "carry piece" while on the range?

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I hardly ever OC, unless I'm fishing or hunting, but last Saturday after finishing a local uspsa style match my wife wanted me to get some Wendy's on the way home. I don't do drive-throughs when ordering for my little family of five, so I headed in dressed as I was for competition.

When I first went in there was hardly nobody there. But by the third time I needed to correct my order (this is why I don't do drive-throughs), a whole gang of teens had come in- probably 10 of them. I begin to hear "dude, that dude's got a gun, dude!" And naturally, being teens, one of them had to push a buddy into me at which time I heard, "dude, don't mess with that guy, he's got a gun, dude."

I found the whole episode comedic- dude.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'm not, as I've never been to said range. I just strongly disagree with how they, and most other ranges, pick apart the parts of the 2a that they "support". You're either all or nothing, there's no in-between here. Support it and let responsible gun owners be responsible, or waffle on it and don't show a strong position.

I just cannot see the difference in "safety" when there are 50 guns on a range, but you're not allowed to "carry" one on you.

Now, if you don't want people pulling from the holster to fire downrange, by all means, make it a rule. I'm 100% ok with that. If you unholster your gun, you better have a damn good reason, and it better be a zombie. Otherwise, it's unacceptable, much like it's unacceptable for me to unholster while ordering my morning coffee.

Isn't there a middle-ground here where you can allow people to conceal/OC however they like... but prohibit use of their "carry piece" while on the range?

I propose that anybody who wants to make more comments on this topic just start up a new thread and then put a link in here to it.

Cool?

:hijack:

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Kahn's wine and liquor on Keystone. They're always polite (CC or OC) and never say a word.
    Kroger at 65th and Keystone. Same ol', same ol'...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

We see that it's not uncommon. It doesn't change that many of us find such practices to be illogical (at best) and do not truly enhance safety. Allow me to share some of my feelings (not original):
    • Unloaded guns are useless.
    • Cold ranges either overtly or subconsciously promote the error that unloaded guns are somehow safer than loaded guns. This leads to a belief that unloaded guns can be handled in a different way than loaded guns. This mentality has led to tragedy more than once.

loganathompson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Ok. OC'D at the fifth third branch in owensville like 2 weeks ago. Everyone there knows me. But I freaked out the manager when she saw it. She was not Happy. She told me to go outside and she would bring my money out to me. I was gonna go outside but the teller who was helping me said she was almost done. She said she doesn't even allow her husband to show her his guns. I don't know. Definitely a memorable experience that's for sure.

loganathompson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    I'd have told her, "go ahead and bring all of my money, you aren't going to be holding onto that any more." :cool:

Yea, I just took it to be she was telling me to leave and under Indiana law I would have to or I would be trespassing. Down here in southern Indiana you don't see anyone open carry at all. I never noticed before, but now that I have my LTCH, I've been keeping an eye out for anybody else who open carries. Yet to see anyone.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Ok. OC'D at the fifth third branch in owensville like 2 weeks ago. Everyone there knows me. But I freaked out the manager when she saw it. She was not Happy. She told me to go outside and she would bring my money out to me. I was gonna go outside but the teller who was helping me said she was almost done. She said she doesn't even allow her husband to show her his guns. I don't know. Definitely a memorable experience that's for sure.

Why should WE as OCer's, be held RESPONSIBLE for other peoples irrational fears? If this is to be the norm, then we can't have T-shirt's with spiders on them, because those with a fear of spiders will be upset? Or how about banning water bottles so those with a fear of water aren't upset?

I would have told her to grow up. She needs to seek help.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom