• Status
    Not open for further replies.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Why would they need to concentrate on them? Are you catering to brand new shooters that don't carry, or are you catering to the actual gun community?

I'm not 100% clear on why you guys, and other ranges, don't allow carrying. Seems like a pretty logical place to allow it. Everyone on the range has a gun, and they have been used inappropriately in the past in suicides/homicides... If it's going to happen, it's going to happen and there's little to do to prevent it. But I don't see a problem with everyone around me carrying while shooting down the lanes.

We are a public range, open to everyone, so we don't "cater" to anyone. But by definition, since we're a public range, we get a LOT of totally inexperienced shooters. That's a good thing, because we want to help bring new shooters into the shooting community. But it also raises safety-related issues that we have to address as a responsible range.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We are a public range, open to everyone, so we don't "cater" to anyone. But by definition, since we're a public range, we get a LOT of totally inexperienced shooters. That's a good thing, because we want to help bring new shooters into the shooting community. But it also raises safety-related issues that we have to address as a responsible range.

I understand you're a public range and all, but it seems no different than a Walgreens, Best Buy, or Joe's Diner in how it handles responsible gun owners... if one person complains, they typically choose to alienate the gun owner and ask them to cover-up/leave. After all, the majority of people aren't carrying guns, and they are surely the ones that bring in the most money.

However, a gun range seems like a pretty no-nonsense sort of place to allow gun owners to practice their freedoms. I know there's very little you can do about it... it just feels odd. Pipe Puffer doesn't ask me to put out my cigar when I light up, and a range shouldn't ask me to put aside my 2nd amendment rights for a couple of hours.

Not ragging on your personally, because you're not the only range to do this.

--

OC'd Starbucks and gas station so far. Nothing special. Will be carrying out my Wednesday night routine tomorrow of carrying at "That Place" in Greenwood.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I understand you're a public range and all, but it seems no different than a Walgreens, Best Buy, or Joe's Diner in how it handles responsible gun owners... if one person complains, they typically choose to alienate the gun owner and ask them to cover-up/leave. After all, the majority of people aren't carrying guns, and they are surely the ones that bring in the most money.

However, a gun range seems like a pretty no-nonsense sort of place to allow gun owners to practice their freedoms. I know there's very little you can do about it... it just feels odd. Pipe Puffer doesn't ask me to put out my cigar when I light up, and a range shouldn't ask me to put aside my 2nd amendment rights for a couple of hours.

Not ragging on your personally, because you're not the only range to do this.

--

OC'd Starbucks and gas station so far. Nothing special. Will be carrying out my Wednesday night routine tomorrow of carrying at "That Place" in Greenwood.

My entire career as a firearms instructor, as an attorney, and now as manager of ECPR, is built around protecting people's 2nd Amendment rights and providing a safe place to exercise those rights. It feels pretty odd to be accused of infringing them.

I've explained the policy. I think I'll end the thread-jack here and let the normal OC discussion resume. Carry on.

Guy

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My entire career as a firearms instructor, as an attorney, and now as manager of ECPR, is built around protecting people's 2nd Amendment rights and providing a safe place to exercise those rights. It feels pretty odd to be accused of infringing them.

But that's exactly what you're doing when you disallow carrying :P Your intentions can be great, but it doesn't excuse the fact that you are prohibiting people from carrying firearms.

And yes, we can get back on topic.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Just to stay on this topic for a second (and then return to our normal programming):

Where can you actually practice drawing from a holster? This seems to be a HUGE gap for a large part of the LTCH community. Ranges disallow it because of "inexperience", but there is NOWHERE to gain that experience. Kind of a catch-22. Sure, you can pay big bucks for an hour or two of hands-on training, but then you can't practice anywhere.

Am I missing something?

Oh, and I OC'ed to the Plainfield Pizza Hut the other evening for dinner, then a nice walk around the neighborhood. I still don't see what all the fuss is about!

I'm not sure about this, since I'm not a member. But I heard that the range in Riley, Riley Conservation Club?, allows you to practice how you train. So I "think" you can draw from the holster there.

But I'm not sure.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

I've explained the policy. I think I'll end the thread-jack here and let the normal OC discussion resume. Carry on.

Guy

This is the first time I've heard of a range not allowing you to carry.

But, I'm still planning to visit your range in the near future. Just because I've learned so much from your past posts/threads. :yesway:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    But that's exactly what you're doing when you disallow carrying :P Your intentions can be great, but it doesn't excuse the fact that you are prohibiting people from carrying firearms.

And yes, we can get back on topic.

That's ridiculous. I'm not prohibiting anything. I'm setting rules for a privately managed range. If you don't like the rules, you don't have to come to ECPR - or any other range that has similar rules.

And gun owners have enough real enemies out there without turning on each other. People need to figure out who their friends are.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Why is carrying your EDC on the range the issue, instead of just focusing on not drawing from the holster at the line? I would think a holstered weapon would be safer than the ones laying out on the table at the line. At least a kid can't wander up and take my EDC out of my holster as easily as taking one off someone's table..

I believe this is the way other ranges have their rules set up, and I dont recall any bloodshed in recent memory ;)

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Wow, I started a s**t storm here.:noway: Just so you guys know if you haven't been there, ECPR is run quite well, & it's a professional operation, & the guys there are not uptight about everything, they're' quite helpful & friendly. Don't knock it if you haven't been there.:yesway:
    (and don't go there if you don't like the rules...Duh.):horse:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not sure about this, since I'm not a member. But I heard that the range in Riley, Riley Conservation Club?, allows you to practice how you train. So I "think" you can draw from the holster there.

But I'm not sure.

Yes, you can draw from the holster at RileyCC and at AtlantaCC.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh, I carried openly in the Little Caesar's in Crawfordsville on Saturday too. There were several people waiting, but no one seemed offended or even concerned.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    That's ridiculous. I'm not prohibiting anything. I'm setting rules for a privately managed range. If you don't like the rules, you don't have to come to ECPR - or any other range that has similar rules.

And gun owners have enough real enemies out there without turning on each other. People need to figure out who their friends are.

Agreed. As much as I don't care for many rules in general, I make the choice of whether to subject myself to them or not by either partaking of their services and property according to those rules or going elsewhere.

Of course, elsewhere may or may not put me next to some n00b or idiot legally carrying their 1911A1 in condition 2 stuck down the front of their pants or possibly in a crappy holster ready to fall off their gym shorts and hit the ground. :n00b:

My choice.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom