Not open for further replies.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Cue,
    good job on open carrying and coming home safely that night.
    My intent is to aid, not to criticize any of your actions.

I'd like to offer some advice, as others have, on what to do when asked to cover up your carry weapon. I'm sure that you've done some of this already, but here's what I do.
    1. Anticipate getting attention. Most of the time, nobody will say anything, but it is inevitable, if you OC often enough, someone will say something.
    2. Be ready to respond. a few words, memorable, witty, or whatever, will be remembered by the one you talk to. "I carry because I love my family" or something to that affect may be something that you can find that rolls easily off your tongue.
    3. achieve #2 by practicing #1, maybe reading through this thread and thinking, "here's how I'd respond if someone said X, Y, or Z to me."
    4. If you're not sure how to respond, ask for clarification. that puts the questioner more on the defensive, and gives you time to think of how to respond. "Are you asking me to cover up my handgun??" "Do you know that I am carrying in a manner in compliance with federal, state, and local laws?" "by what authority are you asking me to cover my weapon?" "Oh, do you have a Ruger, too?" "why arent you carrying a gun?"

every time someone asks me about carrying, I kick myself afterwards for something that I should have said, but whenever I OC, these thoughts are constantly through my head, so I am always -somewhat- prepared.

Hope this helps :draw:
    Keep carrying!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    General thoughts for similar events:

...they asked me to conceal the firearm. I said, "Indiana is an open carry state, correct?" They said yes, but they were getting many complaints.

Ask if they advised the complainers of this fact.
    Ask if they plan to follow up with the complainers to advise them of this fact.
    Tell them that you will accomplish this by simply continuing to OC.

...for lack of controversy, argument, and drawing negitive attention towards gun owners I concealed, as best as I could, the rest of the day.

We must make this matter a larger controversy (for them) than simply telling complainers that it's legal to OC.
    Most folks will gravitate to the path of least resistance.

...but I also beleive that they need to know that we do know our rights.

...and won't be deterred from exercising them.

Without the doing part... the knowing part will have zero impact.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Saturday went to credit union service center (Hammond 165th & Columbia), Meijer in Highland, Wal-Mart in Schererville (actually had .40 practice 50/$16.97 100/$29.97), Walgreens in Highland (Ridge Rd & 41), and finally Deb's in Hessville. It's almost like nobody even noticed I was carrying.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Cue,
    good job on open carrying and coming home safely that night.
    My intent is to aid, not to criticize any of your actions.

I'd like to offer some advice, as others have, on what to do when asked to cover up your carry weapon. I'm sure that you've done some of this already, but here's what I do.
    1. Anticipate getting attention. Most of the time, nobody will say anything, but it is inevitable, if you OC often enough, someone will say something.
    2. Be ready to respond. a few words, memorable, witty, or whatever, will be remembered by the one you talk to. "I carry because I love my family" or something to that affect may be something that you can find that rolls easily off your tongue.
    3. achieve #2 by practicing #1, maybe reading through this thread and thinking, "here's how I'd respond if someone said X, Y, or Z to me."
    4. If you're not sure how to respond, ask for clarification. that puts the questioner more on the defensive, and gives you time to think of how to respond. "Are you asking me to cover up my handgun??" "Do you know that I am carrying in a manner in compliance with federal, state, and local laws?" "by what authority are you asking me to cover my weapon?" "Oh, do you have a Ruger, too?" "why arent you carrying a gun?"

every time someone asks me about carrying, I kick myself afterwards for something that I should have said, but whenever I OC, these thoughts are constantly through my head, so I am always -somewhat- prepared.

Hope this helps :draw:
    Keep carrying!

General thoughts for similar events:

Ask if they advised the complainers of this fact.
    Ask if they plan to follow up with the complainers to advise them of this fact.
    Tell them that you will accomplish this by simply continuing to OC.

We must make this matter a larger controversy (for them) than simply telling complainers that it's legal to OC.
    Most folks will gravitate to the path of least resistance.

...and won't be deterred from exercising them.

Without the doing part... the knowing part will have zero impact.

I'm with you two on this. It's always good to get the person talking about carry. I've even had people come up to me and ask what kind of gun that is. Thinking they may be a gun person I tell them the brand and model but then they get a deer in the headlight look! :laugh: That's when I realize they just wanted to know the caliber. That's something I get a lot. But the good thing is, in talking to that person, others around might hear the convo and become interested and may even ask a question themselves. the other day in the gas station I had a group of 5 all listening and asking questions.

I love that. I love any chance I have to educate someone on carry laws and why I carry. Sometimes you might be lucky enough to get questions for advice on what they should do if they want to carry!

The first things I like to tell them is go file for your lifetime PP license. Then come on INGO for the best advice on what to do next. Saturday after the Dinner, there was a guy asking what kind of gun would be best for him to carry. I told him of INGO and said that many people are more knowledgable about those kinds of questions and many people would even be so kind as to let you "try before you buy". :D

Saturday went to credit union service center (Hammond 165th & Columbia), Meijer in Highland, Wal-Mart in Schererville (actually had .40 practice 50/$16.97 100/$29.97), Walgreens in Highland (Ridge Rd & 41), and finally Deb's in Hessville. It's almost like nobody even noticed I was carrying.

I'm sure they noticed, but didn't say a word. Was anyone more polite than others? Smiles? Doors held open? :D

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Yesterday I OC'd in many places...
    First in HH Greg in Greenwood, looking for a new refrigerator, then to Best Buy. Next I stopped in Lowe's to see what selection they had.
    Wal-Mart, then mowed my lawn while OCing and then went to Steak n Shake for dinner.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I'm sure they noticed, but didn't say a word. Was anyone more polite than others? Smiles? Doors held open? :D

Only doors I had to open were at the credit union, deb's was blocked open, and the rest are automatic. But now that I think about it when I was at Wal-mart I was always able to get through the aisles quite easily. Had to walk around twice since they remodeled recently. Only interaction other than at register was a VFW guy at Wal-Mart entrance taking donations. Tossed $2 into his bucket, shook his hand, and said thanks for serving. Didn't really think he'd say anything bad about carrying a firearm.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    This comment or some derivative of it seems to always pop up every couple pages in this thread. :dunno:

Obviously by not open carrying today, the poster did not get enough attention by running around thrusting his or her hip into each persons face and shouting "LOOK WHAT I HAVE! Neener neener!"

I know when I don't open carry, I have to get on here and post about how everyone else is an attention whoring vigilante. ;)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Obviously by not open carrying today, the poster did not get enough attention by running around thrusting his or her hip into each persons face and shouting "LOOK WHAT I HAVE! Neener neener!"

I know when I don't open carry, I have to get on here and post about how everyone else is an attention whoring vigilante. ;)

ATTENTION!!!!
    ATTENTION!!!!

I just love attention! :laugh: I is a attemption
    HOE.jpg

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    :facepalm: Please, allow me to reach over there and
    anim_head_slap.gif
    ! :):

I is know dis. I mispel dat on de porpus! :p
    The sad thing is I didn't even have to read the second sentence more than once, or even slowly. I knew exactly what he was saying.

Oh, I walked all over Wally World (465 and Emerson) today. Including into the Old National Bank there. No a word said. Did get a dirty look from a lady sitting in the Subway restaurant on the way out the door though.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I applied for and was approved for a credit card at a Chase bank in Noblesville (the one where the branch manager is a reserve sheriff), went to the Apple store at Keystone (Snow Leopard!), bought a couple pairs of Levis from Kohls (tried them on at home), and went to Stuckey Farms with a friend to pick apples.

Not a bad day.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Rural King and the gas station no problems, nothing said.
    And my credit union, the guy there noticed it after I was done and was walking away, and called me back and told me I probably shouldn't bring it in there because if he had seen it before he waited on me he would of called the police. He said he knows that I'm permitted to but it would worry them if they seen it because of the chance of being robbed. Then he ask "doesn't it have to be covered up? I talked to a cop about it. :n00b: So I told him no IN has nothing in the law about how it is to be carried and that it can be carried concealed or unconcealed. He then told me that they had a scare yesterday because someone was wearing a mask outside the door, but it turned out to be a kid messing around.:rolleyes: But if someone called the police on me that it would be that they were afraid they were going to be robbed. I told him that chances are that a bank robber is not going to come in with the gun in a holster on their hip and fill out a deposit slip, he said you have a point but it still makes some people nervous.

I'm not naming the credit union because he didn't tell me I couldn't carry in there or that I had to conceal it if I did. He was just letting me know because it (I think) freaked him out, and was warning me that someone might call the cops. And he was polite about it.

What amuses me about it is that he finally noticed it after I was in the bank for about 10 minutes, and he walked right past me to talk to my wife and daughter while I was filling out the slip.:): It's a ruger p95 in a owb holster with the shirt tucked in. With observational skills like that well.....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom