• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    I'm down to shooting about 100 rds a month just to keep from being too rusty. Do miss the pre-control days. Competion shooting, probaly not this year.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The shortage will end as soon as shooters buy only to replace what they actually use instead of scooping up every box their credit cards can take out of fear and panic.

As I heard Tom Gresham say on Guntalk, the ammo companies are making plenty of ammo for shooters to buy what they will use, but can't make enough for everyone to buy what they think they'll use over the next few years.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    If you're asking when things will return to the days before December 13, the answer is likely never. In some sizes/types, especially high-quality carry 9mm ammo, it may be years before you can buy it again. If ever.

The game has changed and it will never be like it was before.

Enthusiast

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    The shortage will end as soon as shooters buy only to replace what they actually use instead of scooping up every box their credit cards can take out of fear and panic.

As I heard Tom Gresham say on Guntalk, the ammo companies are making plenty of ammo for shooters to buy what they will use, but can't make enough for everyone to buy what they think they'll use over the next few years.

Agreed.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Not any time soon that is for sure. My neighbor has been selling 223 rounds for a buck each. Still contemplating on selling all my stash just to make the money off it. Could definatly buy myself a nice boat for the summer and have some fun.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    My gauge will be when I can actually go into the local Walmart and Gander Mountain and see some actual ammo, something besides shotgun shells, they have a lot of them. They are supposedly getting regular shipments in, but the scavengers camp outside and swarm in to get wht is there as soon as they open. The guy at the terre haute gander showed me a video he took a few weeks ago of a Thursday morning, when they have ammo come in. As soon as the doors opened it was like a swarm of locusts came through the ammo department, and in 20 minutes everything was gone. When I go in there, aside from shotgun shells and a few oddball calibers, their shelves are completely bare. Kind of depressing sometimes. I remember not "having to be there at the right time" to actually see ammo.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So called "hoarders" are not the problem. I think most "hoarders" aren't all that willing to pay unreasonable prices just to add to their stockpiles. I'm not. However I have paid slightly inflated prices for a couple of boxes here and there just so I could go shooting without dipping into my supply. I certainly wouldn't buy bulk at that price.

One thing slowing the market from reaching equilibrium is resellers snatching up all the still reasonably priced ammo from big box stores. I admire these stores for wanting to maintain reasonable prices. But it doesn't reflect the true market value of what they're selling and it's keeping their shelves bare. If the true market value of 9mm is $30/box, everyone should be selling it at that.

Mysticwolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    It can not be people hoarding everything, There are to many manufactures out there to run short by just everyday shooters, and hunters. I watched a video on how they make CCI ammo, they make 4,000,000 Thats MILLION rounds a day, just in CCI mini mags, how many different kinds of CCI do they make? 7? 8? 9?, how many manufactures are there for .22 cal ? how many different manufactures are there that make .223? There are shipping it in from Russia, China, plus what ever America makes, same with .9 MM Where is it all going? I went to Dunnums today and all the got in was .40 cal and .9 mm, NO .22 NO .223 , NO 7.56 Its got to be the government buying it up. Yeah, you can buy it at Gander Mountain MOST of the time,IF you want to get there at 5:00 AM and stand in line for 4 hours and wait till they open, BUT not everyone can do that, Some people ( like me ) have to work for a living.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I happened to be in Kalamazoo today so I stopped at their Gander Mt. From the front door I could see the line at the back near the gun counter. So I moseyed back there to find that everyone was waiting on a shipment of ammo that had come in. So I took my number (yes for real) and waited passing the time talking to the others. About an hour later three employees came wheeling up 1! shopping cart of ammo. Long story short, no 9mm, no .223. I bought 2 (max amount allowed) 100 rd boxes of CCI .22LR. What a sad state of affairs.

Mysticwolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Just got home from wally world, they got .9mm ,.45 auto and .308 is all they got in. I got 3 .9mm and 3 .308, 105.00 13.97 for .9's 18.97 for the .308 my son bought 3 .45 auto 19.99 a box

Brandon812

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Paoli
    ^^^Wait, I thought the limit is 3box per person per day. Is that 3 box of each caliber? Like what you had? Or mix and match add to total of 3? I don't get it.

mdm2272

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    North Central Indiana
    One way to stop the douche-bag gougers would be that every retailer that sells ammo enact a Limit of 1 on bulk packs and cases and 2-3 box limit on everything else. That would sure put an end to that and probably allow ammo to stay on the shelves.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    One way to stop the douche-bag gougers would be that every retailer that sells ammo enact a Limit of 1 on bulk packs and cases and 2-3 box limit on everything else. That would sure put an end to that and probably allow ammo to stay on the shelves.

Since we can't get the retailers to do it, I think the government should issue ration cards.

Top Bottom