• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I am the only one of my sisters that owns guns and occasionally carries. The first time I carried when I met my sister and niece in Indy to go shopping I was hesitant to announce I had it with me. I had no clue how they would react to me carrying.

I admitted to having my SP101 on me after they asked about my new gun. They were both real accepting of me having it on me. We laughed and joked for several minutes about how we could now go shopping in the bad neighborhoods and how no one had better steal our carts. I was relieved they were cool about me carrying.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    I would inform them. I come from a family that is not very gun-orientated, so the first time I went home to visit carrying a handgun my dad asked if I was even allowed to do that (I know right). But if he ever asked me to disarm or leave it in my vehicle, I would as a sign of respect since it is his home.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If they have a problem with it, generally its a short-lived friendship. Also, I WILL be getting some of these for the new house after we get moved in.

gun-rights.jpg

Edit: That's not me; just a guy in the photo I found on Google.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Just like I would not expect a woman to announce that she is wearing a tampon, I would not blurt out that I am carrying a firearm.

I am not an attention whore.

Unless I am OC'ing, of course! :rockwoot: :D

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    A boyfriend of my daughter's friend was over and informed me that he was carrying. I told him "Good!" and left it at that.

Other than that, I know most of the people that come to my house well enough to know that they are licensed to carry. We've never discussed whether or not they were carrying when they came over.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Ok guys. When you go to visit someone's home for the first time. Do you mention anything about your carrying? Do you leave it in the car? What do you do? All people are not gun people. I personally would be pretty peeved if someone entered my home armed without asking me if it was cool. Lets keep it clean please.

Can we not just sometimes, get real reckless and just leave the weapon out in the car? There's lots of really brave grannies and grandpa's at these family outings who go completely unarmed and make it home safe.

If someone asked me if they could carry in my home, I've got to look them up and down and try to determine if this is going to be some dufus who's going to be coonfingering his piece in front of the children and end up getting someone killed ... or is he cool.

Unless you're family gathering is in the west end of Louisville, in my not so humble opinion, CC or stay home.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Can we not just sometimes, get real reckless and just leave the weapon out in the car? There's lots of really brave grannies and grandpa's at these family outings who go completely unarmed and make it home safe.

If someone asked me if they could carry in my home, I've got to look them up and down and try to determine if this is going to be some dufus who's going to be coonfingering his piece in front of the children and end up getting someone killed ... or is he cool.

Unless you're family gathering is in the west end of Louisville, in my not so humble opinion, CC or stay home.

Why are you letting that dufus in your home in the first place?

That's where the line gets drawn for me; if I don't trust someone to possess a weapon in my home, I don't trust them in my home period. Maybe I'm odd like that, though; maybe that isn't a "normal" thing to judge people on. :dunno:

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    Just like I would not expect a woman to announce that she is wearing a tampon, I would not blurt out that I am carrying a firearm.

I am not an attention whore.

Unless I am OC'ing, of course! :rockwoot: :D

Absolute best answer!

I am really at a loss for why you would announce to them that you have a gun. I see no benefit. If it is concealed and under your control at all times - then it is none of their business. I mean that with a due respect to their property. But again, why is that even a conversation piece?

You are not showing them respect - you are showing them "hey, look at me I am a badass with my gun - please start a political conversation about my 2A rights."

It will only make them feel uncomfortable if you tell them. Will it make them more or less safe?

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Absolute best answer!

I am really at a loss for why you would announce to them that you have a gun. I see no benefit. If it is concealed and under your control at all times - then it is none of their business. I mean that with a due respect to their property. But again, why is that even a conversation piece?

You are not showing them respect - you are showing them "hey, look at me I am a badass with my gun - please start a political conversation about my 2A rights."

It will only make them feel uncomfortable if you tell them. Will it make them more or less safe?

Another reason for concealed means concealed. Not just partially concealed.
    I don't tell. And I don't expect anyone to announce it in my home. None of my bee's wax as long as there is no coonfingering occuring.

nick89302

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    I guess I don't understand the mindset that someone (whom I would associate with) carrying a gun is a bad thing. Anyone welcome in my home should have a gun. To be honest, I'm disappointed when people I consider good friends/family come over and they aren't.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    If I am at a friends or relative's house they probably know I'm carrying before I would ever come over. If they don't and want to make an issue of it I won't be back over.

I would also OC or CC as I choose, just like normal.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    ^^^^
    +1

Generally if I think there's a question, I ask beforehand. And always if there are kids around. If it's a friend, you generally know whether they're comfortable or not. If it's someone I don't know, didn't expect to be there, etc., i may just keep my mouth shut if it's a short visit and I'm completely concealed, but otherwise, you earn a lot of respect for just asking the dang question.

What is it with the whole 'kids' thing? Is it because they annoy you to the point of violence or are you afraid a 5yo girl is going to steal it? :dunno:

Unless you fancy leaving your loaded gun lying around unsupervised I don't see why having a firearm on your person around children makes any special mention. Please educate me as to why you think your gun will misbehave around kids.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I CC carry. If I am spotted, I answer their questions. If I am asked to leave, I do so. I can count my friends on one hand, but I will take the weapon over such a "friend."

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Always carry, never tell.

Never seen rules posted at a front door. Maybe I should ask about getting all of the rules before entering another home...wonder what kind of reaction that would get.

My grandparents had a "No Smoking" sign on their front door that had the little smoke signaling indian on it.

I just always assumed if you didn't want someone doing something that would otherwise be acceptable you would make it known ahead of time.

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    Do you expect them to tell you if they merely have a pack of cigarettes in their pocket without intention of lighting one up. YOU brought up the comparison. Be upright enough to give an answer.

I suppose I think it is about offering a higher level of respect initially, like calling your business associates by Mr. or Mrs. Whatever, until they invite you to just call them joe. Or perhaps not using language that may be considered offensive. Again, this is a courtesy that I would offer others until I was invited to be more informal.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I suppose I think it is about offering a higher level of respect initially, like calling your business customers by Mr. or Mrs. Whatever, until they invite you to just call them joe. Again, this is a courtesy that I would offer others until I was invited to be more informal.

But what does formality or respect have to do with informing you about a pack of smokes in their pocket?

Top Bottom