When to fess up to a date about your guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimmyw86

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    When a girl looks at my gun and says thats cute and then says she has a .44 magnum, I will cream and then marry her. It does sound pretty bad when I say shes looking at my gun and says its cute.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I 'm assuming your joking - guns aren't legal in or around schools, including the parking lot.

We pick her up at her house go to a house for a pre party then some other parents carpool to the school. Guns never get within 1000 feet of the school

sassy688

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Martinsville, IN
    There are a lot of us ladies that no one would suspect that own guns. I look like a bit of an "indoor girl". Before we even went on our first date, I told this guy I had two guns...a Ruger 10/22 and a Judge. While we were still at the conversing stage, I told him I was going on my first Appleseeds...he didn't know what that was. I cut through the b.s. right away to find that he thought it was pretty cool that I owned guns (some guys don't think it's cool either...psycho chick anyone?) We were married on December 17th...LOL...my man is STSchil.

Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South
    A girl doesn't find out about my gun collection until she is invited over to the house, which on occasion, is the first date;). It has never really been a big deal, and honestly it really isn't. So I like to move small pieces of lead out of a metal tube at high rates of speed, is that really worth breaking up over?:):

My current girlfriend use to tease me about it by saying things like "Bringing your gun to Meijer? Gonna do some justice by stopping that kid from stealing a bag of gummy worms?"

After she got followed all the way home by some stalker and the guy shooting the man in Kroger recently, I heard the two sweetest words a guy can hear..."I'M SORRY"

Deputy527

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Indy WestSide
    How not to tell your date.... Sad

SAN DIEGO – Navy officials have confirmed that a Navy SEAL who accidentally shot himself in the head has died.
    Navy spokesman Lt. Cmdr. Frank Magallon tells the U-T San Diego that Petty Officer 3rd Class Gene "Geno" Clayont, Jr. was taken off life support on Saturday. He is survived by his parents and three sisters.
    San Diego police were called on Thursday after the accident. Police say Clayton had gone to a bar and brought a woman back to his apartment and was showing her guns when he put a pistol to his head, believing it was unloaded, and pulled the trigger.
    Paramedics took Clayton to a San Diego hospital where he was placed on life support.

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    A girl doesn't find out about my gun collection until she is invited over to the house, which on occasion, is the first date;). It has never really been a big deal, and honestly it really isn't. So I like to move small pieces of lead out of a metal tube at high rates of speed, is that really worth breaking up over?:):

My current girlfriend use to tease me about it by saying things like "Bringing your gun to Meijer? Gonna do some justice by stopping that kid from stealing a bag of gummy worms?"

After she got followed all the way home by some stalker and the guy shooting the man in Kroger recently, I heard the two sweetest words a guy can hear..."I'M SORRY"

My girlfriend did the same thing! We'd go into target and she'd poke fun at me and tell me to put my shirt over it (OC'ing) and get all weird till we had an issue where she needed me to have my gun and I did. Now she asks me if I'm carrying (which I always am) and she just smiles haha

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Oh, no! What if she wants to pay footsie? (Yes, I guess ideally she wouldn't want to play footsie because she is also ankle-carrying, too.)
    To the OP, is this relationship even still viable?

DID you ever tell her or do you just continue to live a lie and cower in the darkness? Setting the tone for a somewhat passive-agressive relationship at best.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    just OC and let it be a talking point, dont wait until you have a little relationship going on to find out that the gun thing is a deal breaker.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I told her that guns have been a part of my life and carrying a firearm not only protects me but also can protect her as well. It was this is how its gonna be type of thing...guess it worked ok because shes my fiance now and wants a handgun for herself. :D

wpframe01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Make your life (and hers) easier, and be sure that you not only tell her early in the relationship, but that you ensure she's at least accepting of it. I told my (now wife) then girlfriend about it and just left it at that. As far as she was concerned, it was just my "hobby." I assumed she was OK with it, and she assumed that she'd be able to convince me to take up a different hobby. The issue stayed that way until well after we were married. It took many arguments, many sleepless nights, and marriage counseling before we came to terms. I did eventually get her to the range once, and while she still doesn't like firearms, she doesn't obsess about them, and is no longer convinced they're going to spontaneously discharge, or are somehow inherently evil. Eventually she even agreed that our daughters could learn to shoot a) if they were interested and b) when they were old enough. My older daughter used to be interested, but never actually went. My younger daughter shoots with me now. I guess my point is, if it has the potential to develop into a long-term relationship, be sure that your potential spouse more than just "has been told." Be sure that she or he understands, is accepting, and (ideally) shares your enthusiasm. Your relationship will be the stronger for having this in common. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    CCd on the first date, because, well, I'm going to, and if she has a problem with that, it's going to be a problem. This last time I lucked out; she's a shooter. All is well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Make your life (and hers) easier, and be sure that you not only tell her early in the relationship, but that you ensure she's at least accepting of it. I told my (now wife) then girlfriend about it and just left it at that. As far as she was concerned, it was just my "hobby." I assumed she was OK with it, and she assumed that she'd be able to convince me to take up a different hobby. The issue stayed that way until well after we were married. It took many arguments, many sleepless nights, and marriage counseling before we came to terms. I did eventually get her to the range once, and while she still doesn't like firearms, she doesn't obsess about them, and is no longer convinced they're going to spontaneously discharge, or are somehow inherently evil. Eventually she even agreed that our daughters could learn to shoot a) if they were interested and b) when they were old enough. My older daughter used to be interested, but never actually went. My younger daughter shoots with me now. I guess my point is, if it has the potential to develop into a long-term relationship, be sure that your potential spouse more than just "has been told." Be sure that she or he understands, is accepting, and (ideally) shares your enthusiasm. Your relationship will be the stronger for having this in common. :)

Is the problem here, you not telling her how important it is to you? Or her wanting to change you?

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    When I started seeing my current husband, I was the one carrying, not him! I was a single mom, newly divorced, ex had some questionable weirdo friends that came around sometimes... and living out in the country in an old farmhouse, i felt safer...although i probably shouldn't have, since the gun i had at the time was a .22 Jennings! :rolleyes: I let him know about the gun pretty early on, it wasn't a problem, his dad had quite a few guns back then, too.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Fess up?

When they ask about hobbies tell them you are a shooter.

If you haven't come out of the closet as a gun owner you should. You'll feel much better. Attend an OC event. It is liberating if you never have.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Great question. The problem was a lack of communication on both sides - but in fairness, probably a bit more on my part since my choice was the origin of the conflict.

I don't see this as an issue. You're shooting for half price compared to the guys with wives that shoot regularly. MY wife begs me to take her to the range but in 10 years I haven't because it will make my hobby more expensive! Maybe this year babe....

My sons go with me fairly often now that they are old enough to respect the sport and use proper etiquette.

As far as dates go, I can't tell you how many dates ended up at the range the next day. I'd tell them my plans for the next day and invite them along if I actually liked them. That way you sound interested in involving them in your life as well as getting to know them better outside of a "date". Always ended well if they were up for it.

Top Bottom