When to fess up to a date about your guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Just curious...because single women carry, too. When's a good time for the woman to bring it up? Same? Or keep quiet til you sense what kind of guy he is, & keep a tactical edge?

I can't help but feel that women probably have a bit more latitude, even when they go on a date with the gun-fearing gents. ("I'm just trying to protect myself, because public order has really gone down in recent months.") Even the slightly gun-fearing guy would find a gal with a gun... sexy, because there is some sort of gender reversal there. That's one of the reasons Lara Croft sold well.

On the other hand, the guy has to be secure with himself, so he doesn't feel that he's being "outmanned." It would also help for the guy to have a certain level of trust and comfort with you, otherwise the date might not go so well. Finally, if the date isn't familiar with the responsibilities of gun ownership, you might not want to let him know you carry in case he thinks pulling out a gun at any hint of danger is an option, or he decides to shoot a few rounds in his backyard within city limits while you're in the bathroom, etc.

It seems to me a lady who carries ought to wait until she knows the date is stable and trustworthy before she shares the information. Another reason for waiting is that in some unfortunate cases, women have had to protect themselves from their dates. There is no reason to lose the tactical advantage.

The topic has to come up organically. How the subject is brought up and discussed can probably make a big difference for those who haven't made up their mind or those who are willing to be open-minded. There is less latitude for guys, I think. There are more women than men who fear guns. We might just scare off someone who could make a good partner if we don't present our hobby in the proper light. So I'm particularly interested in hearing from the ladies how to approach this whole question.

And I guess we'll just go from there. I can respect those with a principled position against guns, though I don't think a relationship will work out if he/she feels that strongly about it, and I don't think any of us can really live with someone who is very afraid of guns.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I can't help but feel that women probably have a bit more latitude, even when they go on a date with the gun-fearing gents. ("I'm just trying to protect myself, because public order has really gone down in recent months.") Even the slightly gun-fearing guy would find a gal with a gun... sexy, because there is some sort of gender reversal there. That's one of the reasons Lara Croft sold well.

On the other hand, the guy has to be secure with himself, so he doesn't feel that he's being "outmanned." It would also help for the guy to have a certain level of trust and comfort with you, otherwise the date might not go so well. Finally, if the date isn't familiar with the responsibilities of gun ownership, you might not want to let him know you carry in case he thinks pulling out a gun at any hint of danger is an option, or he decides to shoot a few rounds in his backyard within city limits while you're in the bathroom, etc.

It seems to me a lady who carries ought to wait until she knows the date is stable and trustworthy before she shares the information. Another reason for waiting is that in some unfortunate cases, women have had to protect themselves from their dates. There is no reason to lose the tactical advantage.

The topic has to come up organically. How the subject is brought up and discussed can probably make a big difference for those who haven't made up their mind or those who are willing to be open-minded. There is less latitude for guys, I think. There are more women than men who fear guns. We might just scare off someone who could make a good partner if we don't present our hobby in the proper light. So I'm particularly interested in hearing from the ladies how to approach this whole question.

And I guess we'll just go from there. I can respect those with a principled position against guns, though I don't think a relationship will work out if he/she feels that strongly about it, and I don't think any of us can really live with someone who is very afraid of guns.
    Good answer. BUT... if a woman is in the bathroom and her carry gun is not...she's doing it wrong! ;)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I get that, I was responding to the assertion that women arent as superficial as men. :)

Honestly, I am more attracted to personality and eyes than anything else.

Gotcha. Just for the record: The post of mine that precipitated this line of the discussion wasn't meant to imply that women are less superficial, only that we're more thorough in our screening potential candidates. ;)

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Gotcha. Just for the record: The post of mine that precipitated this line of the discussion wasn't meant to imply that women are less superficial, only that we're more thorough in our screening potential candidates. ;)

Hmmm, sure you aren't in politics? :D

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If your date is rich, wait until after the wedding. That way if she wants to divorce you, you get $$ to buy more guns.

If she is hot, at least after the first time ya know.

If she is neither, why are you there :)

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Good answer. BUT... if a woman is in the bathroom and her carry gun is not...she's doing it wrong! ;)

Ugh, how could I forget!!! After all, I started a thread on carrying in the public bathroom, much to the mirth and merriment of our INGO colleagues.

On a more serious note, apparently the lack of public bathrooms and rest stops in some third-world countries makes women responding to nature's call easy prey for rapists. A similar situation has been reported of our women in the armed forces. So, yes, now I see you definitely need your gun in the bathroom.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am still calling BS....

I have seen some of the DB's that some women Choose to date... ;) :popcorn:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I am still calling BS....

I have seen some of the DB's that some women Choose to date... ;) :popcorn:

Having the knowledge and choosing to act on it are two different things. I'll readily admit women are notorious idiots when it comes to ignoring the facts and moving ahead based on emotion and wishful thinking.

Besides, I was being facetious with that quote anyway. It was really just a big of a dig at men for stopping short of qualifying a gal for the first day based on her ability to fog a mirror.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Besides, I was being facetious with that quote anyway. It was really just a big of a dig at men for stopping short of qualifying a gal for the first day based on her ability to fog a mirror.
    You make that sound like a Problem?! :dunno:

Besides I have other qualifiers for a Woman before I would think about taking her on a Date...:popcorn:

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Although I was married before I got into firearms, I honestly believe if I was in the dating scene, (no offense INGO girls/ladies) I would definitely NOT tell her that I am carrying. IMO first impressions are everything. I believe that if I told my date on the first date that I was carrying, she might flip out thinking I was some kind of thug or something, and I would be concerned that she would be on edge the entire date and not truly enjoy it.

I would let it go 2-3 dates, let her get a feel for you and feel comfortable with you then casually bring it up.

I asked my wife this question, and she said if I would have told her that I was carrying on our first date, she would have freaked out. She said all the crazy scenes of violence that you see on tv would be running through her head.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    I think that the time they ask is the time you should tell them. Hopefully by then they're comfortable enough around you that when you tell them the hard object that hit the ground along with your pants was a gun, they won't care at that point (or may just think you're joking). I.E. if you treat it like it's not a major issue, then you'll have a lot better chance of summing it up in the same category as a watch or cell phone. I've learned that there are several things in life that are made easier to cope with for another individual, if you can casually look at a person and honestly say that it's always been there.....:):and since I'm talking to INGO I should probably add that, when they ask why you have it, don't say because the constitution says you can, or because this is america, or because the government is turning into Nazi Germany...Just explain to them that it's for protection, you're not looking for trouble, and you'd more likely hand over your wallet to prevent an incident instead of drawing down on an armed robber.:):

Last edited:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I got asked to a school dance by a semi libreal girl. Should we leave the guns in the back of the car?

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    If you are CCing, you should probably tell her when she does the reach-around hug and cops a feel on your Glock ;)

Top Bottom