• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Cubby wrote: if you don't like the price, thats ok. everyone has their limit on the things they buy. but DON'T chastise me when i price gear i make with my hands and tell me its a POS and i'm overcharging people! i have yet to hold a gun to someone's head to make a sale... yet.......

For someone making something with their own two hands, I can certainly understand your frustration. If they can't afford your price, a polite "No thank you" should suffice.
    I think it was Betty Davis who said "Don't let the bastards get to you"

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    if you don't like the price, thats ok. everyone has their limit on the things they buy. but DON'T chastise me when i price gear i make with my hands and tell me its a POS and i'm overcharging people! i have yet to hold a gun to someone's head to make a sale... yet.......

There is nothing harder to price than art. Knives are a combination of function and art and come from time and love of the creation. Putting a price on that is hard, and explaining that price is near impossible. Having to explain that price is bad enough, but having to justify it is infuriating I am sure.

Frankly, I do not envy you that position. You will need to develop some good catch phrases until you have a devoted client base (which will happen with an item of quality) and then you can laugh off the scoffers. Heck, once you have truly made it, the new frustration will be those that buy for the name and not really understand the quality or artistry. But I guess there are frustrations in all parts of this life...

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think it's insulting as soon as you get the offer. Why go to the effort to post a price if everyone's gonna offer you less than you ask?

i think thats why some people are posting high prices. if i had a nib 870 forsale for 125 most of the time everyone will offer me 100 bucks. thats why i usually leave myself wiggle room (not always)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Exactly, if only it was this simple. I hate having to price my items higher in order to anticipate lower offers. I could have a pistol for sale $100 under used prices and I guarantee someone would still want to pay less. I wish the BS would go away and the best price would be the first price.
    That's very important guys. This is were the polite haggle question comes in. Is that your best price? If the guy is already the lowest price at the show/shop he won't be offended when asks this way! Now if he is already the lowest and you tell him, "I'll give you"? Do you see what I'm trying to get at? And under no circumstances should you ever say "so and so has it for this"! You might as well, just forget the whole thing then. The guy, even though he might not say it is furious now! :xmad: Oops, time to move on! :twocents:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I was approached the other night by a very nice looking sexy blonde. She said she would give me her body for 100 dollars.

She looked clean enough and no one else was around so I offered her one dollar for her professional services.

She was offended and asked me, "What kind of girl do you think I am?"

I said, I already know what kind of girl you are. I'm negotiating your price.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    I'm a common sense kind of guy, it's a big part of my job! Another way to look at it. If you ask if that is the best price? He would be lying if he didn't give you his lowest price! Example: xyz firearm is marked $250.00. Everyone else is $275.00. You ask if that is his best price? It probably is because he is the lowest already, but he says $225.00. You don't tell him, I'll give you $200.00. If you work out the percentages that quite a reduction! If he says that is it, what have you lost? You could buy it for the lowest price or walk away, no hard feelings. Also a lot of shops like guys who refer business to them. If the dealer knows you are responsible for his or her shop selling 20 guns that week, it helps too! Don't ever cut into the middle of deals between the shop and the public. That is a sure way to wear out your welcome. And keep handling the firearms to a minimum. Only handle what you really are interested in. Just look at the other stuff with your eyes! That really ticks a lot of guys off too. Don't stand in front of a dealer's tables at a show and B.S. with your buddy's. You are blocking his table from potential customers/buyers! All of this stuff helps when you go to buy! The shop/dealer will remember your courtesy and hopefully reward you for it. Buying tips #101 from the old and wise!:twocents:

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    I was approached the other night by a very nice looking sexy blonde. She said she would give me her body for 100 dollars.

She looked clean enough and no one else was around so I offered her one dollar for her professional services.

She was offended and asked me, "What kind of girl do you think I am?"

I said, I already know what kind of girl you are. I'm negotiating your price.
    One of my buddy's had one jump in his truck! She asked him if he wanted a date? He said that depends? She said depends on what? How much you are willing to pay me? :laugh: That got rid of her in a hurry!:D

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I'm a common sense kind of guy, it's a big part of my job!

And here is part of the issue, the example that follows is of a customer dealing with a privately owned retail store. It also involves an industry who keeps MSRP's that are joke so there is no real, honest, hard base line to work from. In other words, all deals are negotiations.

But this site, and it's sale forum is not that. This is a bunch of guys building some kind of community. That is a different interaction at all levels than the example you give. As a result the ends are different. If you go into the interaction with the same game as you take to pop's gun shop, don't be surprised at all if you upset others or get upset. The reason is because you assume there is a game. For many of us, that assumption comes across as you presuming that I am a dishonest person.

If I give a price I mean it. If I make an offer I mean it. These are not fake or pretend and I will not portray them as anything other than what they really are.

If you are prepped for a game and play it with a fellow gamer, great. But it is 100% your assumption that the other is playing a game to and many of us are not. A brush with that is ok. A push of it is not.

Personally, I find haggling a waste of time and not an enjoyable experience because in the game there is the reality that both sides are holding back truth in the hopes of financial gain. I deal on honesty and reputation. Gaming ruins trust for me and I cannot do it.

My wife, she loves to haggle and it is a kind of a dance for her that is fun. The good Lord makes people of all kinds I guess. As a result, when I run into a haggler, I excuse myself and find another buyer/seller.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I read the first page and the last so I'm sure that someone has said or will say the same thing I am.

I personally, will make an offer on something weither it be $100 off from what someone is asking on a $500 gun or it be $300 off a $500 gun. Reason being is, I am giving you my best offer that I currently can either afford or either what I am willing to spend at this point in time.

You never know when the person is either:
    A) Tired of it
    B) Wanting something else
    3) Need the money for a reason.

There is a reason that it is for sale usually. I don't "jew" people down to make a resale but I don't want to get stuck with something that is either not what I wanted/not what I thought it was and have to take a loss on it no matter what. For instance, I bought a Stroker kit for my car. I am selling it for what I have in it because after thinking about it for some time I am scared of the angle the rod gets put in and fear a rod bearing will be playing the tune of "Wipeout" withing the first month of me getting it together. The issue with a lot of people on here is they try selling there stuff for "new" prices when their stuff is either used or is new but is previously owned.

I am guilty of this don't get me wrong, but don't think that someone isn't going to give you their opinion/offer if you are being social. I do it at Flea Markets, garage sells, wherever. People typically mark up the price so they have "Wiggle" room and then are able to come down with some work to get there original desired price.

All this is my :twocents: :cheers::popcorn:

In fact here is your freebie, anything I have for sale feel free to haggle me or will and deal with me. Reasonably of course. No peanuts or jelly beans for ammo, double cheeseburgers are negotiable though. :D

Thinking back I actually made a jelly bean comment to someone here while back. I'll have to see if I can find the comment.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    This is more of a rant since it has happened frequently to me here. When would you consider a low offer on something you have for sale insulting?

I have no problem with "wiggle" room when selling something, I always try and buy for less even if it is only $5-10 just the same when I sell. I truly think some people are living 2 or more years in the past, sorry if this offends someone but it's how I feel.

If someone is selling something and I see their asking price is more than a hundred over what I'm willing to spend I move along. Just because something cost X, Y years ago doesn't mean X is the current value. I looked at a HK SP89 a few months back, they could be had for $1500-2000 in their day. The shop had $5500, an average price, but did I offer them $1500?? Hell no, why? Because I can accept rising prices with supply and demand.

I guess my point is why offer someone something you should know is a ridiculously low amount unless you're good with the lottery or want to insult someone.

ETA - My advice for those looking for $60 SKS's and $300 AK's would be to build a time machine :laugh: Bring back some 90 cent a gallon gas while you're there.

When they say it like this, "Would you take half what your asking for that?"

Not an insult, "I'll give you half what you are asking for it and I have the cash right here in my hand."

That goes for any thing I've got for sale any where. One is a looky loo and a low baller. Some times they are low balling you to get you shook up for their buddy to come in and look like a patron saint at 75%. I normally don't even consider it. If you want a low ball answer to be given serious consideration rather than take as an insult, have cash in your hand and be making an offer, not just shooting the breeze to see how low I'll go or what yours just like mine is worth.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    This is more of a rant Isince it has happened frequently to me here. When would you consider a low offer on something you have for sale insulting?

I have no problem with "wiggle" room when selling something, I always try and buy for less even if it is only $5-10 just the same when I sell. I truly think some people are living 2 or more years in the past, sorry if this offends someone but it's how I feel.

If someone is selling something and I see their asking price is more than a hundred over what I'm willing to spend I move along. Just because something cost X, Y years ago doesn't mean X is the current value. I looked at a HK SP89 a few months back, they could be had for $1500-2000 in their day. The shop had $5500, an average price, but did I offer them $1500?? Hell no, why? Because I can accept rising prices with supply and demand.

I guess my point is why offer someone something you should know is a ridiculously low amount unless you're good with the lottery or want to insult someone.

ETA - My advice for those looking for $60 SKS's and $300 AK's would be to build a time machine :laugh: Bring back some 90 cent a gallon gas while you're there.

If you are insulted by an offer then you are way to thin skinned for retail sales. If you made the item or did some customization that added value to the item then by all means state that the extra work is what merits your asking price.

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    And under no circumstances should you ever say "so and so has it for this"! You might as well, just forget the whole thing then. The guy, even though he might not say it is furious now! :xmad: Oops, time to move on! :twocents:

Funny you should mention that. I recently was looking at 2 nearly identical items on this very forum. Now seller #1 had his for $50 more than seller #2. I had been dealing with seller #1 first so I asked if he'd go down $25 and stated that "so and so has it for this". Now he did show a little sign of being furious by saying "good luck w/the other one; I won't move on my price".
    I did meet seller #2 and got the item for even less as the item had some issues not described and he lowered his price rahter than have me think about it for too long.
    So bottom line is you may be right on the "so and so has it for this price" but in my case it was actually true and I ws trying to give seller #1 a chance to get my money as well. It wasn't a ploy to lowball but I guess that is a tactic often used after reading your post. He likley thought it was a lowball...
    At any rate seller #1 and I did exchange emails afterward and we may still deal as well.

As for making offers on listed prices. Well I believe if you make an offer within 85-90% of the asking price on a USED item people should not be insulted. That may be the make or break $ amount for the potential buyer and may be within the sellers comfort zone. If not he'll reject or counter offer.

Now if the seller's ad says FIRM. I believe that 10% off or lower MAY be fair to offer but will often be rejected.
    FIRM < bottom dollar.

I DO feel anything lower than 80-85% of the listed price IS a lowball offer.
    Unless they're gouging:D

OK that's experience and :twocents:

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Personally, I find haggling a waste of time and not an enjoyable experience because in the game there is the reality that both sides are holding back truth in the hopes of financial gain. I deal on honesty and reputation. Gaming ruins trust for me and I cannot do it.

We must be related. I hate haggling.

All too often it's not really about the price about something, it's a dominance and submission fantasy game that some people play. For some reason, they think that if they've coerced you into lowering your price by one penny they have won some kind of competition and they are the dominant player.

I have no interest in such activities. I offer what I think something is worth. I ask for what I think something is worth. Take it or leave it.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    If you are insulted by an offer then you are way to thin skinned for retail sales. If you made the item or did some customization that added value to the item then by all means state that the extra work is what merits your asking price.

I agree when someone makes something by hand it is generally more expensive than some run of the mill product. But that is not the point here, the point is an items value and not the reason for its price. A custom 1911 vs a production pistol, both have a value, it doesn't matter how they got to a price. The price set is what it's worth, how is offer less for one different than the other?

I agree with anti haggling, I hate it too. As I said in an earlier post I wish the BS would go away and ALL prices would the best offer.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    You have to approach it as business and not let your emotions run wild. In business, you negotiate, if you don't like an offer, walk away, if you're told no way, walk away, but sometimes people are willing to take what they can get. I bid on an E-bay item last ar $90 or best offer. I thought it was worth $30 and sent the offer which was rejected, the seller said he couldn't possibly sell at that price. He still had the item this week a year later at $90 or best offer. I offered $30 and he accepted. Sales are willing seller+willing buyer.

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am not sure why it happens bu tI have never been lowballed as much as I have been on this site. The insulting offers happen often here and seldom at the other sites I frequent. I am really not sure why.

+1

It seems like I have a lot more problems with selling stuff here. Whether it be rediculous lowball offers, people backing out on stuff or people taking forever to get a deal done. I have had some good people I've met on here too though.

I wouldn't say I've ever been insulted by an offer, but I have been like WTF man are you serious? I don't mind haggling on a price, but offering a significant amount lower is not haggling.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I bought a house for a rental property. the lady was asking $55,000 for the house in need of some updating. I told her I'd give her $15,000 for it cash. She got very mad and said I insulted her home. I told her I was very sorry, I just wanted to know what she would take for the house today. She said today I'll take $19,000 for it. I said sold. I'll take you to my attorney and sign some papers, and write you a check.
    My point is. so what if you offer way low. All it takes is a no. No reason to get huffy over a low ball price. It's just business.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'm with techres.

I'm not going to pay "MSRP" -- pre or post-election -- on a used (no matter how slightly) gun, not when I can call PSS and get it brand new one for $50 less than what most people want used.

Now on a gun that they don't make anymore, and I really, really want it, and you're $100 above the last known retail price... well I'm not a collector, and I'll probably keep looking.

This paid off when I got my Ruger Service Six... I passed up several very nice $300 guns, and after two years got one for $235 at auction, I would have rather had a 4" Security Six or a 2.5" Speed Six, but maybe someday I can use it for trading fodder.

I'm not offended when people low-ball me they're just telling me either A) that's what it's worth to them, or B) they really want to meet somewhere in the middle, and I try to feel them out either way.

Sometimes, like most people, I'll set a price a little above what I will actually take, and include some trade fodder, like some ammo, holsters, extra magazines, or whatever, and if I get a lower offer, I might say "I can do $XXX but without the ammo." And if I feel like someone is trying to make a profit off of me, I'll just say, "no thanks."

I won't name names or models, but I saw an ad here for a handgun that was lightly used and priced $60 above what PSS has it for new. I bought one just like it for $10 less that PSS, but it came with an extra magazine ($35) and 2 boxes of ammo ($35) in a caliber that people here are having a very hard time finding. So if you count that I paid $80 less than PSS, but I was also willing to meet on his schedule, drive to Lafayette, and pay cash.

So yes, it pays to wait for and work out a good deal. I've also sold a gun that I though was a great deal for the buyer, not for me.

Top Bottom