• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I don't get being insulted because someone offers less money than what the seller believes it is worth. Why take it so personally? Unless you're selling your body or something you made with your own hands, I'm not understanding why so much pride is involved in an object that you own.

i get this ALOT. people have gotten down right insulting when quoted a price. i sell my knives on the CHEAP for custom work. mainly because i'm a rookie and my prices should reflect that. i ahve paid twice as much for a knife i wouldn't let out of my shop.

i will quote someone a price and they go ballistic! like i am trying to rip them off. or they quote prices from WalMart for a chicom fixed blade out of the handle of a ramen noodle pan............

if you don't like the price, thats ok. everyone has their limit on the things they buy. but DON'T chastise me when i price gear i make with my hands and tell me its a POS and i'm overcharging people! i have yet to hold a gun to someone's head to make a sale... yet.......

rant mode OFF!

:ingo:

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Someone offers me 80% of my asking price and likely I will turn them down. I will not assume they are trying to rip me off, instead I will assume they are not able to come up with my amount and are doing the best they can. I can take the offer or turn it down.

I agree with what you have said. As I said I have no problem with offering less than a asking price since I do it myself. Maybe it is just me but there is a fine line on a realistic offer and a fantasy.

I'd love to offer someone 10 bucks for a M16 but that just isn't realistic, if I'm not relatively close to an asking price I walk away.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Seriously guys, it works! Try it sometime, you won't be sorry. I don't pay sticker price for anything except very rare (hard to get) stuff. If the seller likes you, he or she is more willing to deal! Do the research to see if it is a good price to begin with? If it is, buy it or walk away! Don't irritate them to the point, they won't sell it too you at any price! :twocents: Is that your best price?

Last edited:

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    If someone offers a fair price I will consider it or counter. If someone offers a ridiculously low price I say "No, but thank you for the offer." Sometimes they come back with a reasonable offer or they as "What is the lowest you will take." If you get mad and slam them, there is little probability that they will make a reasonable offer on that item or any other you may post later. I used to sell real estate and believe me many people don't understand why you would get mad at a low offer.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I am not sure why it happens bu tI have never been lowballed as much as I have been on this site. The insulting offers happen often here and seldom at the other sites I frequent. I am really not sure why.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    That doesn't work at Dick's, WAL-MART etc...etc.. The price is the price! Is that your best price? Beat it old timer! :): That's gramp's to you! :laugh:

Willard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Anderson
    When is a low offer insulting to you?

When I say "firm" on the price. If they offer less, I just start raising my "firm" price. The more they talk the higher it goes :coffee:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I'm a Buyer not a Reseller and I do not normally make counter offers for a lower price. Many items posted here are over priced by new members looking for a quick turn over of monies. If I have a sincere interest in an item I may on occasion offer what I think the item is worth. If you are offended by a counter offer then maybe you shouldn't be in the biz or clearly mark, no offers accepted. Gun prices, have begun to stabilize and some have even fallen. Hopefully ammunition prices will follow this lead.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Only problem with posting details is quite a few people here fail to read it. I've posted "only these trades would be considered" and at least two people would ask would I accept something not listed. I've tried with no lower offers and firm and again some people here fail to understand. I don't take anything personal here but I get annoyed with stupidity...who doesn't?

ETA - Is it just me or does posting every possible detail make someone seem like a "*ick"? I feel if I have to post every possible outcome in my posting then I am selling to someone who probably isn't smart enough to follow the basic rules of firearm ownership...no offense meant to anyone.

Last edited:

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I think it's insulting as soon as you get the offer. Why go to the effort to post a price if everyone's gonna offer you less than you ask?

Exactly, if only it was this simple. I hate having to price my items higher in order to anticipate lower offers. I could have a pistol for sale $100 under used prices and I guarantee someone would still want to pay less. I wish the BS would go away and the best price would be the first price.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Only problem with posting details is quite a few people here fail to read it. I've posted "only these trades would be considered" and at least two people would ask would I accept something not listed. I've tried with no lower offers and firm and again some people here fail to understand. I don't take anything personal here but I get annoyed with stupidity...who doesn't?

ETA - Is it just me or does posting every possible detail make someone seem like a "*ick"? I feel if I have to post every possible outcome in my posting then I am selling to someone who probably isn't smart enough to follow the basic rules of firearm ownership...no offense meant to anyone.
    You mean when I drive through Arby's drive-through and order a McFry, McPop and a Big Mac? :laugh: And yes, I've done this guys! Are you sure you are alright sir?:): Was it an accident or on purpose? Only I know the answer! :D

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Exactly, if only it was this simple. I hate having to price my items higher in order to anticipate lower offers.

I don't do that at all. I list them at my price, with no anticipation and no gaming. The price is the price. And the prices I have chosen have always sold at that price, most very quickly.

Frankly, I get enough offers that the lowballers don't have a chance. Have I undersold by market standards? Sure. Am I willing to let that happen? Yep. Life's just too short to fight over 10%, and the people who buy from me are happy with the deal. So, if you want to be happy, just set a good price that buyers will find attractive and ignore anything under your price. It's just that simple.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I agree, except I've dealt with some people who won't buy unless they get the price down some, whether $5 or $100. I never know who I'll deal with so I anticipate all types. If I started at my exact price they'd want it less, sometimes that single person may be the only person who'd buy.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I don't do that at all. I list them at my price, with no anticipation and no gaming. The price is the price. And the prices I have chosen have always sold at that price, most very quickly.

Frankly, I get enough offers that the lowballers don't have a chance. Have I undersold by market standards? Sure. Am I willing to let that happen? Yep. Life's just too short to fight over 10%, and the people who buy from me are happy with the deal. So, if you want to be happy, just set a good price that buyers will find attractive and ignore anything under your price. It's just that simple.

Great Advice :rockwoot: - I've bought several items from TechRes and never felt the need to offer less. If the item is priced correctly, it will sell itself :twocents:

Top Bottom