• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    This is more of a rant since it has happened frequently to me here. When would you consider a low offer on something you have for sale insulting?

I have no problem with "wiggle" room when selling something, I always try and buy for less even if it is only $5-10 just the same when I sell. I truly think some people are living 2 or more years in the past, sorry if this offends someone but it's how I feel.

If someone is selling something and I see their asking price is more than a hundred over what I'm willing to spend I move along. Just because something cost X, Y years ago doesn't mean X is the current value. I looked at a HK SP89 a few months back, they could be had for $1500-2000 in their day. The shop had $5500, an average price, but did I offer them $1500?? Hell no, why? Because I can accept rising prices with supply and demand.

I guess my point is why offer someone something you should know is a ridiculously low amount unless you're good with the lottery or want to insult someone.

ETA - My advice for those looking for $60 SKS's and $300 AK's would be to build a time machine :laugh: Bring back some 90 cent a gallon gas while you're there.

Last edited:

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I don't take it as an insult. I just assume they're not going to buy anyway and they're just tossing out a ridiculus price to see if I'm stupid. When it gets rejected with a laugh, they get the message.

They still may think I'm stupid, but they didn't get the item for sale either!:cool:

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    they're just tossing out a ridiculus price to see if I'm stupid.

I agree with what you're saying but it is this part that insults me. I've been very polite to people here when they lowball me...how I keep restraint is beyond me.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    never an insult.i know what i can get already,and i know what i will pay.if either party dont like it ,well maybe next time.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If I offer something for sale here I do it at a fixed price. If the price is not accepted here then I sell it on GunsAmerica, AuctionArms or Gunbroker.

In every case where I've not sold something here at my asking price I've ended up selling it on one of the auction sites and ALWAYS for more money, usually $50 to $75 more money.

Honestly what I've found here is that many people are looking for pre-election prices. I don't sell my stuff to make my living but I'm not going to lose money. I price them at very fair prices, when I offer them here they are at my low price. If people think my price is too high then I don't take offense but I also don't take offers if I know my item is priced at a fair price. And given my experience selling the items at other sites for much more money it seems that my prices here are more than fair (even if some don't think so).

Now I have seen a few items here at prices WELL ABOVE market prices and well above the auction site prices.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    That's another one. How much is it, cash money? The only money anyone takes other than a store is green, right guys? Or am I just "old school"? Good post ATM, this has happened to you before? If the guy's name is ATM, what kind of money does he take guys? :dunno: :):

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't get being insulted because someone offers less money than what the seller believes it is worth. Why take it so personally? Unless you're selling your body or something you made with your own hands, I'm not understanding why so much pride is involved in an object that you own.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    any time someone offers to sell me a gun, I will lowball them, sometimes ridiculously low. I am usually close to broke, so i either get something cheap, or pass. so many people know my love of guns that I regularly get calls like " my buddy has some guns he wants to sell, I got his number for you in case you're interested" I have gotten some awsome deals by lowballing first, HK P7M8 for $350, Kimber compact $400, and others. I don't make the offers as an insult, It is usally what I can afford at the time, and I will tell them what would be a fair value if they take the time to find the right buyer. I have never tried to lowball anyone on this board, as i figure most people on here are not in a hurry to sell.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Good post ATM, this has happened to you before? If the guys name is ATM, what kind of money does he take guys? :dunno: :):

Hasn't happened to me (can't bring myself to sell anything) but I keep smarta$$ responses on tap for every occasion.;)

I take cash or money order +$3.00 transaction fee.:spend:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Alright guys, I need to tell you how it's done "old school" style, buy old farts like me! The polite way to get a deal is, what is your best price? Not, I'll give you! I'll give you a smelly fart too! :):

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    So one thread is full of people hating the "gougers" and here we have those who hate the "lowballers" and everyone is sure that the other guy is insulting them.

Perhaps people are offering for what they consider a fair price and buyers are asking at what they consider a fair price and in the end everyone can just get over themselves.

Someone offers me 80% of my asking price and likely I will turn them down. I will not assume they are trying to rip me off, instead I will assume they are not able to come up with my amount and are doing the best they can. I can take the offer or turn it down.

I sell my items here at 75%-100% of what I paid for them but no more as I consider that fair and get something out of helping out my fellow INGO members. Heck, sometimes I even see my old stuff in another guy's hands at an event. That comeradere is worth something to me that is more than what I would make selling at 150% of what I paid even if the market will bear it.

Either way, I am less interested in me and more interested in others and in both cases that bring me some level of happiness and saves me feeling "offended" and potentially "ripped off" by others here that I think of as more than money making ventures.

And if someone does buy from me to resell, that is their choice and I don't lose any sleep over it. We each live with our actions and the karma flows around so that I do not need to worry about it. Not to mention, that is capitalism. I will let others get ulcers trying to perfect the sales forums.

So, yeah, I suffer from bad financial choices, credit debt, a poor business sense in the gun arena, and am a sucker for a price that I consider fair in both directions. But I am happy and not as bent out of shape as many people at this site seem to be.

It's just not that big a deal, and the world does not revolve around me and my guns. Well, not until the Zombies arrive...

Top Bottom