• DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ok, boomer.

:):

This cop should go with 10mm and just carry a few magazines with 200gr hard cast WFNGC ammunition. That way it will go through a few car doors and the criminal without much problem.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Great example. Ballistics are a very misunderstood topic, particularly in handguns.

Handgun rounds don’t have the velocity of rifle rounds obviously. This is why stopping power is such a myth. Bigger bullet does not equal bigger dead, as so many 45 aficionados claim.

In handguns, stopping a threat in their tracks requires shot placement in the central nervous system. Even then (see article) that’s sometimes not enough. More rounds is better. Faster, more accurate follow up shots is better. Shoot until the target is on the floor, the shoot some more. This “shoot him once because it’s a 45” stuff is nonsense.

Before anyone argues that plenty of people have died from non-CNS shots, yes. That’s why I specify “stop somebody in their tracks”. I don’t care if an attacker died 15 minutes later from blood loss after he already killed me.

Rifles are a little different due to their velocity and the more violent temporary wound channel it creates and its ability to do indirect damage.
    I read about ER Dr in Chicago.
    He said bigger bullet do bigger holes, and cause more blood loss than smaller bullets.
    Also deeper penetration was key as well.
    He also said that a pass through not hitting anything vital in the torso presented 2 holes to plug and caused more bleeding than one that stayed in with no vitals hit.
    I can't remember the Dr name but I read it in a book years ago on this subject.
    Also bigger caliber HP make bigger holes than smaller caliber HP, and according to him had a better chance of causing more bleeding, than smaller calibers.
    However, it didn't matter if it was a 44 Magnum, 22lr, or anything in between if the bullet hit the heart, or brain that person was dead.
    So we are are right back to shot placement, and how accurate you are under stress.

All that said shoot the caliber you are able to shoot accurately under stress. Hopefully it's more than a 22lr ;)

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    He said bigger bullet do bigger holes, and cause more blood loss than smaller bullets.
    He also said that a pass through not hitting anything vital in the torso presented 2 holes to plug and caused more bleeding than one that stayed in with no vitals hit.
    Also bigger caliber HP make bigger holes than smaller caliber HP, and according to him had a better chance of causing more bleeding, than smaller calibers.
    However, it didn't matter if it was a 44 Magnum, 22lr, or anything in between if the bullet hit the heart, or brain that person was dead.
    So we are are right back to shot placement, and how accurate you are under stress.

All that said shoot the caliber you are able to shoot accurately under stress. Hopefully it's more than a 22lr ;)
    Not disputing he Dr however there are exceptions. Dave Spaulding mentioned a case where a victim shot was at the hospital getting an MRI and something was jumping around inside his heart….it was a 22LR bullet he had just been shot with like a jumping bean every heart beat. He survived.

Real thugs don’t read gel tests. That said the best way is upper thoracic hits to the heart and aorta of the brain stem.

So no matter what you care practice in 3x5 cards and B8 repair centers.

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012

it sounds like we reach basically the same conclusion :cheers:

However I’m not arguing that bigger holes don’t cause more blood loss, all else being equal, but reference my 4th paragraph. In a self defense situation the goal is not to kill the attacker, it’s to stop him immediately. Not from blood loss an hour later on a hospital bed. Him getting unalived is a consequence of stopping him.

I’m saying that 45 guys often oversimplify this to bigger bullet = more immediate lethality, and that’s not the real world. More shots on target ups the chance of a CNS hit. For those reasons, a caliber that is easier to shoot quick and has a higher capacity, while still maintaining adequate penetration, ballistics, and reliability, is a better choice.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    it sounds like we reach basically the same conclusion :cheers:

However I’m not arguing that bigger holes don’t cause more blood loss, all else being equal, but reference my 4th paragraph. In a self defense situation the goal is not to kill the attacker, it’s to stop him immediately. Not from blood loss an hour later on a hospital bed. Him getting unalived is a consequence of stopping him.

I’m saying that 45 guys often oversimplify this to bigger bullet = more immediate lethality, and that’s not the real world. More shots on target ups the chance of a CNS hit. For those reasons, a caliber that is easier to shoot quick and has a higher capacity, while still maintaining adequate penetration, ballistics, and reliability, is a better choice.
    Yep it goes back to shot placement, and accuracy. I'll add this. A reliable handgun as well.
    So test/practice with your EDC often with the ammunition you plan to carry.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    This cop should go with 10mm and just carry a few magazines with 200gr hard cast WFNGC ammunition. That way it will go through a few car doors and the criminal without much problem.
    The bad guy had 6 fatal wounds. Well, "eventually" fatal, anyway. 10mm would have done no different. In fact, the hollowpoint .45 ACP ammo probably created bigger wound tracks and did more damage than a .40 caliber bullet poking all the way through. Penetration wasn't the problem. And there's likely no worse choice for a law enforcement pistol round than hard cast flat nose. Unless you don't give a damn about bystanders on the other side of the bad guy.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The bad guy had 6 fatal wounds. Well, "eventually" fatal, anyway. 10mm would have done no different. In fact, the hollowpoint .45 ACP ammo probably created bigger wound tracks and did more damage than a .40 caliber bullet poking all the way through. Penetration wasn't the problem. And there's likely no worse choice for a law enforcement pistol round than hard cast flat nose. Unless you don't give a damn about bystanders on the other side of the bad guy.
    It must not be the one I'm thinking of.
    The one I'm thinking of his caliber i believe was a 45acp wasn't penetrating the car doors, and hood etc. So he wasted a lot of shots in the shootout.

CrazyBagel169

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2024
    Michigan City
    Personally, I love the .357 Magnum. If you handload, it can be a downloaded to a light 38 spl level with hardly any recoil or noise. A good 125 or 158 grain hollowpoint loaded to magnum levels will put the hurt on anything two legged. Heavier cast SWC can take almost any game found in the continental US.

A good stout revolver like a Ruger or S&W L or N frame can handle just about anything you handload (within reason) and the same rounds put through a lever action carbine will be downright brutal to anything they hit.
    What are the differences between the different S&W frames?

Top Bottom