• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • It's always a toss up. Sometimes it's my SmithWesson M&P 9mm compact. Sometimes it's my SmithWesson model 36 (prelock). If I am just going out to spend the day in the woods, it's one or the other.....if I am camping, it's both of those and a shotgun and/or rifle. And of course, when my daughter is with me, she has her redryder. LoL, think I am going to upgrade her in the next summer or 2, to a cricket.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I prefer my savage .22/ 20ga. and my browning challenger II pistol I have had these for many years, kinda like old friends.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Ruger SP-101 with 158 grain magnums. Love my Glock, but somehow, the plastic keeps me from being one with Mother Nature. Just doesn't seem right to me to venture into the woods with tactical plastic. Like wearing a tux to a pool party. :)

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Right now it would be a single six like yourself. Great plinking gun, but I may carry the Buckmark next time out.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Ruger SP-101 with 158 grain magnums. Love my Glock, but somehow, the plastic keeps me from being one with Mother Nature. Just doesn't seem right to me to venture into the woods with tactical plastic. Like wearing a tux to a pool party. :)

Well its got carbon in it :): carbon is a necessary element for plants and animals to live - so in a way - it is kinda mother nature approved :) :laugh:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    My personal favorite pure "woods bumming" guns are an old 4" Taurus M94 stainless .22 revolver and my IMI Timberwolf carbine in .38/.357. I also have a Springfield M6 "Scout" .22/.410 that's real handy for camping and fishing trips.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Now it's my S&W 66-2. Actually, I'll take along both my Smith & Wessons :) Cathy can lug along her 1911, or the Bearcat. At least until we decide Sean is old enough to take a trail gun along (won't be long.) Then the Bearcat is his.

SWModel66004.jpg

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Plenty of fine firearms here. Browning, Taurus, S&W, Glock, CZ...I still have a bias toward the Rugers though....

What got me to wondering about what people carried into the woods was a discussion I had with a couple of friends at work. They'd heard more reports of cougars, wolves, bobcats, even bear sightings (not that a Single Six would work against that). These sightings, combined with possible meth lab encounters, made us wonder why anyone would head to to the woods unarmed.

SBG40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN.
    MY CARRY GUN

Well if i hit the trail i'll take my everday carry gun the GLOCK 23 .40cal with 13rd. mags.....:dunno:
    Let's say you're hitting the woodline for the afternoon. Nothing special, just ambling about. What firearm do you normally pack along? Pistol, shotgun, camp carbine?

Myself? I usually open carry a Ruger Single Six .22...sometimes with the LR cylinder, sometimes with the mag. cylinder. I also carry several dozen loose rounds in a belt pouch and a pocket knife. I hardly notice it on my hip and it's there if I need it.

Let's hear about your hiking rig.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    90% of the time when I go for a walk I take my AR 15. The other 10% I take my AR 15 AND my glock 35. Unless of course it's deer season. I can't tell you how many times I've had only a handgun and spotted a lone coyote trotting through a field 200 yards away. That's why the AR always go with these days

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom