• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I wonder id some of the reason there hasn't been a change may be from costs to Switch to a different round (i.e. 6.8 spc, 6.5, .308) There are all of the contracts, tooling costs, and logistics of re-arming all our troops. I think the change in bullet weights ( heavier) is a good thing to try to improve terminal performance because if it works, it is cheaper to replace ammo. Dont forget about the 200 dollar hammers when you consider re arming our troops.

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    6.8 is not a standard round. I don't believe we will ever switch to it. As nice as it might be, it'll only be used in special situations, ie Personal Shooting, Police, Hunting, but never normal military use. The beauty of nato ammunition is just about everyone uses it and has it. Switching to a nonstandard round would cause a lot of supply issues. For the cost, the military would most likely want a completely new rifle designed for them, instead of just replacing the barrel and the BCG. Otherwise you would have idiots putting the wrong types of bullets in rifles and stuff. You have to make things idiot proof.

Chainsaw744

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We won 2 World Wars useing .30 cal rounds. Since then our record hasen't been that great. Even Iraq wasn't the equal of Germany or Japan......

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    We won 2 World Wars useing .30 cal rounds. Since then our record hasen't been that great. Even Iraq wasn't the equal of Germany or Japan......

Yes we did...

We also had a lot of fratricides during the same time...

I do NOT want to change back to carrying .30 cal rounds! They weigh entirely to much for not enough benefit. The common Soldier/Marine has no need of a weapon capable of 1000 meters shots. What he needs of is less nurse maid parents that raise a stink when little Johnny or little Jane get hurt playing at War. Our basic kit minus ammo is around 65-75 pounds. That is not counting any kind of back pack or rucksack. Each 30 round mag of 5.56mm weighs 1 pound.

How much does 210 rounds of .30 cal weigh in mag form?!
    To f'ing much is how much it weighs.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have read and seen a lot on the Military channel, of soldiers dislikes of the 5.56. Also from Soldiers who have served in the Middle East. I'm not knocking the 5.56 personaly. I would not personaly want to be hit with one. The round does do the majority of it's damage when it tumbles 180 degrees. Three things you have to factor. 1. They use FMJ's, instead of HP's. 2. The smaller round allows them to carry more ammo for the weight. 3. It's a Nato round, so it's used by many countries. I think they should go with at least a .30 round of some sort. Also get away from using FMJ's. If not have at least two members of a platoon cary an M14. That's my :twocents:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have read and seen a lot on the Military channel, of soldiers dislikes of the 5.56. Also from Soldiers who have served in the Middle East. I'm not knocking the 5.56 personaly. I would not personaly want to be hit with one. The round does do the majority of it's damage when it tumbles 180 degrees. Three things you have to factor. 1. They use FMJ's, instead of HP's. 2. The smaller round allows them to carry more ammo for the weight. 3. It's a Nato round, so it's used by many countries. I think they should go with at least a .30 round of some sort. Also get away from using FMJ's. If not have at least two members of a platoon cary an M14. That's my :twocents:

We subscripe to the Geneva convention, which prohibits other types of projectiles, especially jacketed hollow points or other expanding types. There are some designated rounds out there now that probably blurr that line, but in general, our military has a treaty saying that we will use FMJ.

Last edited:

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    We subscripe to the Geneva convention, which prohibits other types of projectiles, especially jacketed hollow points or other expanding types. There are some designated rounds out there now that probably blurr that line, but in general, our military has a treaty saying that we will use FMJ.
    If the 5.56 does turn 180 degrees it makes the hollow point a moot point. I like that flying fish avatar JB.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

No, the Military does not have a treaty the Fed Gov has a treaty.
    Once again let me thank the Politicians... :rolleyes:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    The .30 caliber range sure does a lot of damage, but it's is a lot heavier as already stated. Accuracy while firing is a big key to the 5.56. Don't we have Recon/Sniper support with the higher calibers to take care of the longer shots during engagements? From what I have seen most of the prototype weapons the special forces are testing as we speak still use the 5.56. Just my :twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I realize you have to consider weight. By the time you consider body armor, plus your kit. I'll have to weigh a full 30 mag of 7.62x39. I now it does not have the range of the 5.56, but it has much more punch. However you are talking abot a 122 grain bullet, compared to a 55 grain bullet. Also the round is used in many countries. Especialy when your enemy uses the same round.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Seems I saw on the History Channel, the reasons the military went to the .556 was, so the soldier could carry more ammo, the victim would be wounded, to tie up more troops rather than have dead bodies lying around. I dont care for hunting, and not making a clean kill shot, but at the same time, if my choice while in battle was to be wounded, or killed I think I could deal with wounded , and live to complain about the rinky dink little bullet the military uses.:nuts:
    The bullet that is put in the cartridge is what makes the round. It is great for varmint or insurgent, depending both on what its loaded with and were the shot is placed. :twocents:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My mistake I thought they used the 55 grain bullet. That's what we where issued in the Coast Guard. Of course we conducted Law Enforcement operations. I assume they use a 1 in 9 twist barrel then? Still they should switch to hollow points in my opinion.

Top Bottom