• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    It is held in the property room. If the rightful owner comes forward and the gun wasn't used in a crime while it was out of their possession, it will be returned to them.
    OK, but let's say a reasonable amount of time passes and nobody comes forward. Would the police dept. return it to the guy who turned it in? I know in Chicago it would be (nudge, nudge) destroyed.

Leadkrm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Indianapolis
    So if I see you drop a $20 in the store, you don't deserve to have it.
    Losing a firearm is uncomparably more irresponsible than losing money. A lost 20 can't kill a child if they pick it up. If I see someone drop money I return it to them if I see dropped money with no known source I keep it. I was only explaining an answer to your question. I don't agree with the op keeping it without checking out the serial number with law enforcement which I already stated in the 2nd post in the thread. I think if the owner can be found he should have his property returned. He didn't drop 20 bucks. He dropped 600 bucks that can kill someone who discovers it and can not properly handle the gun.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Basically a bill of sale with serial number on it?

It doesn't have to be that in depth, although that would help. Knowing where and how it was lost helps. A few years back I had a Glock still in the holster turned in. From the scarring on the Kydex and grip, along with the location, I figured some motorcyclist had lost it, as it had skidded for a bit before coming to rest. Someone called a few hours later and reported a lost firearm. He was able to say the route he rode, what kind of gun, what kind of holster, and he got it back.

As far as the gun being left behind, criminals stash their guns all the time. See the police coming? Duck in the bathroom and get rid of your dope and gun, if the police leave, return to collect it. They will set their guns on the tires of nearby parked cars, under a bush, etc. etc. Not every unattended gun was left there due to negligence. I had a Desert Eagle buried in a plastic bag under some mulch, and it had been there so long it was one solid chunk of rust. The stasher probably got picked up on a charge and didn't come back for it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It doesn't have to be that in depth, although that would help. Knowing where and how it was lost helps. A few years back I had a Glock still in the holster turned in. From the scarring on the Kydex and grip, along with the location, I figured some motorcyclist had lost it, as it had skidded for a bit before coming to rest. Someone called a few hours later and reported a lost firearm. He was able to say the route he rode, what kind of gun, what kind of holster, and he got it back.

As far as the gun being left behind, criminals stash their guns all the time. See the police coming? Duck in the bathroom and get rid of your dope and gun, if the police leave, return to collect it. They will set their guns on the tires of nearby parked cars, under a bush, etc. etc. Not every unattended gun was left there due to negligence. I had a Desert Eagle buried in a plastic bag under some mulch, and it had been there so long it was one solid chunk of rust. The stasher probably got picked up on a charge and didn't come back for it.

Thanks, this is absolutely reasonable. I was just curious what the threshold of proof was to prove ownership. It the OP had disclosed in this thread that he found it in the third stall of the front bathroom of Walmart on X street in Y city, there'd be several people trying to make a claim on it. Aside from looking at the OP's location (I can't see it in mobile mode), there's no evidence here for someone to give an accurate description to make a false claim. IE, describe the $20 bill you lost.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Yep, to the police I say.....but I see the concern. Regardless of why it was stashed, dropped, forgotten, etc... its pretty damn ignorant. A loaded gun is unlike any other piece of property. People drop, misplace, lose all kinds of things.....but a loaded gun?????? You have to be kidding me!!!!!!!!

I dont know what kind of "public place" this was found in, but this could VERY easily have turned out different with a kid finding it and pulling the trigger. Pretty sad.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Wonder if this is another "win a bet" thread. That or because of unusual phrasing we are all going to be Nigerian millionaires.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Maybe read an old thread about guns being left behind in bathrooms or could be serious. Don't know. But, Frank has given you solid advice. I believe you get a receipt and if it's not claimed and not reported stolen or used in a crime then the property becomes yours after a predetermined amount of time.

Since you cant PM yet, you may ask a cop where to take it. If your West Side Indianapolis then there are plenty here who can help (only place I know is City-County Building and I'm not walking in there with a gun). Or call non-Emergency number.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    It would have been better to state "I found a gun today and turned it over to the police. If you think it might be yours contact (name of where turned in)." But that would still have brought out people to badmouth you for not giving the owner a chance to claim it before involving LEOs.

Thank you for securing the weapon :ingo: and remember in the future turn the lost weapon over to the police before logging on the internet.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Did you happen to find it at the bottom of a river? I recently had a boating accident and lost all my guns. Hopefully you can help me recover them.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Sorry, but I don't believe this dude found anything but himself on a gun forum with a lot of skeptical members.
    It's a very nice handgun. One that I wish I owned myself. It's probably the most popular type carried.​

"The most popular type carried"

1911 or glock ...... hmmmm

Is it out of style to say "WHATEVER".?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I believe you get a receipt and if it's not claimed and not reported stolen or used in a crime then the property becomes yours after a predetermined amount of time.

This will vary depending on local procedures. IMPD does not issue receipts, its all electronic, and the person will be listed in the system as "FINDER". As far as claiming it yourself if its never claimed by the original owner, I don't know as I've never had it come up. I'd have to ask the property room management how that works.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Check here, HotGunz Stolen Gun Search

If it's not on there, it does NOT men it's not stolen, only that it has not been reported to this site.

On the other hand, if it IS listed then you KNOW it's stolen.

You know it was reported stolen at one point. Do people always remove their gun from that site when its recovered? As the official databases say, "lead information only, must be verified with originating agency."

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    First turn it in. The butt you save may be your own.
    Second , reading this thread why are LEO's dodging the answer to the big question? If I find a gun, turn it in, it's clean and no one claims it, as the finder , do I get to keep it?
    Just a simple answer, do I get to keep it?

Top Bottom