• ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I agree with Pinshooter, I have both, a S&W .357 mag, & a S&W 9mm, both are
    GREAT, I ALWAYS recommend a REVOLVER for the first gun.
    Unless you are military and familiar with semi-auto's....

LEADCASTER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    I just recently applied for my lifetime permit to carry. I figured I would go ahead get that part out of the way before I went and bought a gun. I have a few questions and I seriously have no clue about guns. My wife and I are planning on going to a gun show in December in Seymour, Indiana. I just wanted to get some ideas on what to look at. I want something pretty easy to carry but not real small. I doubt I carry it in public much at all. But we do a lot of camping on the Ohio river and plan to carry it there every weekend. I do plan on learning how to shoot it properly and all that. If I have my permit at the gun show and buy a gun. Will I get to take it home that day? Or do they still have to do a background check and stuff? Right now not looking to spend more than $200 or $250 for the first gun. :ingo:

Sorry for making it so long.

I'll speak from my own experience. In the 1970's, I purchased a Model 64 S&W because a friend of mine showed me how to cast bullets and reload. In the 1970's, I was in college and $$$$ was an issue if I was to shoot a lot. I've never purchased life ammo from anyone and this friend gave me a bucket (5gallons) of 38, 45 and 357 brass.

Anyway, at that time, the Model 64 was selling for $110.00, NIB. If you're looking for a similar model and NIB, you have to nowdays pay a little over $500.00 for a similar handgun. However, in some gunshows, you might come across a "fixer-upper". If you do decide to purchase a used handgun, as possible purchase it from an authorized gun dealer.

As an example, I purchased a used Model 629 S&W 44 magnum at a gun show who happened to be an authorized dealer (Smith & Wesson) and the sear/trigger mechanism was giving me trouble after shooting several thousand rounds. I then called S&W and not only they paid for the shipping but also fixed it at no charge. On a similar note, I purchased a similar handgun through an estate sale and S&W did not do the same.

A .22 caliber is fine to start with considering the price of ammo however, in recent years, the price of 22's has gone up.

As a rule of thumb, purchase the firearm from an authorized dealer of that brand, take reloading you own into consideration (saves lots and lots of $$$$) if you're going to do a lot of shooting.:rockwoot:
    What also helps a lot, have your better half make the decision as to the caliber. :)Sometimes if the gun is too much (recoil, weight, etc) it might turn her off to shooting. Another route is to go to an indoor/outdoor shooting range and try some of their handguns. It's like "test driving" before you buy. :cheers:

dancingmantis

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Oakland City
    Kel-Tec P-3AT and P-11 are in that range, but I would not recommend them for a new shooter............
    The Bersa Thunder .380 is in the range, and I can recommend it.

My first handgun was a Kel Tec p11 9mm. It is still the only handgun I own. I am now looking for a new gun. I have owned the p11 for 9 years and have never had a problem with it. However, I do agree that it may not be your best choice for a first time handgun. I have shot many rounds through it but not many rounds at the same time. I wanted it mainly for carrying on a regular basis. Since I had only shot one handgun when I was only about 10 years old I did not really know the difference so to speak. All my experience was in rifles. Now since I have shot a few other models the P11 is not the best fitting gun for my hands and I like how others shoot. I am also looking into a Bersa Thunder. I have been reading really great reviews on them. However, all of the local shops I have called around here do not have any in stock. I keep getting told that Bersa has become really popular lately and it is hard to hold inventory. Good luck to you and happy shooting!

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I'd like to offer this suggestion.

make sure your Carry weapon "works."

In the grand scheme of a year or two, the difference between $200 and $500 is nothing. In the grand scheme of a lifetime of carry it's even less.

Go buy a Glock, M&P, Sig, or HK.

Top Bottom