• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chuck26287

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    If it were me, I would hold off a little longer until I had a little more money to invest. Like so many things, a handgun is one of those items where you usually get what you pay for. This is especially true on the low end and high end of the price spectrum. In my opinion, $250 is the low end. If I had to buy a $250 handgun, I'd be glued to the used classifieds, screening for the great deal that pops up then gets grabbed immediately. Good luck.

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    For first handgun it comes down to:

Pistol - CZ-75 P01

13892645_6ab33bae70.jpg

Revolver - Ruger SP101

sp-101-s.jpg

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    All due respect, but if there was one perfect pistol, we'd all own one, and that obviously is NOT the case...... so...... sorry about the perfect pistol concept. I'll not address the "ever made" part, so as not to de-rail the thread.

That's what opinions are for.... perfect... "for you"... is simply outstanding. :D

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Everybody has their own opinion, this is the beauty of public forums. I have expressed mine.

All due respect, but if there was one perfect pistol, we'd all own one, and that obviously is NOT the case...... so...... sorry about the perfect pistol concept. I'll not address the "ever made" part, so as not to de-rail the thread.

That's what opinions are for.... perfect... "for you"... is simply outstanding. :D

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    $250 would pay for the NRA Basics class for both you and your wife. It will teach you to shoot, how to responsibly handle a firearm, and give you a better idea of what the right gun for you might be. ;)

I'm in the same boat as the OP and I've decided that this is the way I'm going to go. I've deliberately held off on buying a handgun until after taking the NRA Basic Pistol class this weekend, mostly because I'll have the chance to try a variety of different firearms and figure out what I'm most comfortable with as an absolute newbie. If your budget allows it, this seems like a pretty good way to get started.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    You mentioned the Seymour show, so I'll post a recomendation if you end up in the market for a Glock. When you enter the building there is a guy that always sets up to the right when you pass through the door. He has the one of the largest ammo displays in the building. A few weeks ago he had a case of former Police issue Glocks $325 each. I really don't think the Police use these enough to say they are worn out, usually just holster marks.

if this dealer is gtg tactical, the glocks he had at this last 1500 were in really bad shape.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    Thank you everyone for all the the advice and suggestions. I really appreiciate all the information. I will def think about class but I know someone who is a LEO who said they would teach us on how to shoot it and handle it.

tuocs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    Good old 1911...

Greetings to you sir...:)

My humble recommendation for your first gun would be the venerable 1911...:yesway:

You will learn the basics of pistoleering from it: parts of a gun, the basic functions of a gun, and safety.

It is slim, so comfortable to carry on the waist. And much more it is battle tested.

I call it a "peasant's gun" because it can be socked in mud and rain yet it still fires.

Who knows after after having your first gun, you would want another one. Then that next gun would be one of the modern guns we fine today (like Glock). But you have started it with historical 1911 gun;)... History is attached to the 1911. If i am not mistaken, i think it is the first semi-auto pistol invented. From which others have followed.

DSC01610.jpg

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Go with a Glock or XD

I might consider saving up a bit more. once you get to the $400-500 range, a lot more options become available. I think a glock 17 or 19 would make an excellent first.

I really agree with this suggestion. For a first gun, I'd really recommend either a Glock or a Springfield XD. They are very similar guns: they are easy to field strip, reliable, durable, and available in a variety of calibers and frame sizes. My brother and Dad both went with Glocks for their first, while I went with an XD. Just a personal preference.

The fact that they are easy to field strip means you don't have a ton of complicated parts to mess with as you would experience with a 1911 (my second gun), for example. That just means it'll be easier for you to clean and maintain.

Also, a key advantage of a $400-$500 pistol is that it'll last you for quite a while. In the lower price range that you mentioned, you have an increased risk of finding something that is shoddy, used instead of new, or with a short lifespan. You really want your first weapon to be something that isn't going to crap out on you.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My Advice

:dunno: My advice is got to the gunshow and handle as many hand guns as possible. But Buy from a local shop if possible. Many times the guns at the show are overpriced a little, but bargins are possible. I won't recomend a specific brand although I like Rugers, and Smith and Wessons. For a first gun I would recomend either a 9mm simply because it about most proliferate caliber. Or get a 357 magnum revolver with a 3 or 4 inch barrel, because it will shoot either the cheaper .38 special ammo or the big .357 round there you have some versitility. Both are good self defence and the 357 is a good man stopper right behind the 45acp! Also a revolver will absorb more abuse if you forget to clean it. They will always work even if dirt while some autos get finicky if they are dirty

Last edited:

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I had the Sigma in my hand since the price was enticing but I ended up a Sprinfield XD 40 subcompact. It is fun to shoot at the range and small enough to carry. It will cost you more but it is worth it.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    The weaker brother and Scutter both had the right answer early in this thread. Don't be in a hurry so much as to buy A gun as to get some skills and buy the RIGHT GUN.
    Take your time, shoot with friends, get some training, (very important) and choose what YOU like. Not what your friend likes. All I can recommend is that revolvers are very easy to use and to shoot well with, but don't let that dissuade you if you fall in love with a certain auto pistol.

darngolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    I only have 2 suggestions and one of them is a little different than everyone else.
    1. A .22 like the Ruger single six with the .22 magnum cylinder-It is not an ideal defensive gun, but is an ideal gun to learn on and the .22 magnum option would be decent. The pros of this are that it is a simple manual of arms and .22lr is affordable and easy to find, so practice is easier. Also it is a gun that would be good to take on your camping trips.
    2. Would be a quality .357 revolver with a 4" or even 6" barrel. You could also go with a .38 revolver-used model 10's would be close to your ballpark, but I would save a little more for the .357 as it is more versatile. For practice I would start with .38special wadcutters as they are accurate and have very little recoil and then move up to more powerful ammunition.
    I personally think a .22 would be the better way to go as you could shoot 250-500 .22 lr's for the price of 50 centerfire cartridges which will help you get proficient quicker with the plus of no recoil with the .22.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I carry and train with a high end 1911. It took me awhile to get to that point, but the journey was fun and worth it. As far as your "first" gun, I too would highly recommend handling as many as possible to see which one YOU like and which one feels best in YOUR hand.
    But, since you posted and I assume you are wanting some kind of answer, I would go with saving up a little bit and start off with a Glock 19. They are pretty much the one gun many people seem to have in their collections, are easy to carry and shoot, and have great capacity. Plus, the fact that Glocks are downright dependable. Merry Christmas and best of luck in your decision!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Good to hear that the OP picked up a smart choice. If anyone else is in the same boat, I'd recommend going the gun show route, trying as many as you can to see what's comfortable and then trying the ones you like at the range if that's possible. One choice that should be considered for a basic first pistol is the Bersa 9UC. They are inexpensive, reliable, accurate and simple to take down for cleaning. People who buy them love them and the 9mm ammo is cheap enough to allow more practice.

Top Bottom