What rifles are best to get Started with Appleseed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlzoiss

Plinker
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    Right now we only have a few handguns, but would like to get started with Appleseed. I don't have any experience with a rifle, but see many references to the Ruger 10/22. I noticed that the site says to bring two rifles. What should I start out with, especially since I don't have any plans for hunting? My husband and I would both like to participate, but I am on the smaller side. Could we both be comfortable with the same rifles?

Then I see info. on building a "Liberty Training Rifle," not really sure I am ready for building anything gun related. But I guess the point for me is to get more comfortable with shooting and guns in general.

What are the important accessories?

I am also looking for answers so I know what to put on my last-minute (husband) Christmas list.

Glock

Marksman
    Mar 25, 2012
    Definitely the 10/22 Liberty Training Rifle. You really aren't building anything. You get a stock 10/22 add the tech sights. And add a usgi Sling. If you can follow instructions, use a hex wrench, and a drill you will be fine. Below are links to the sights, sling, and sling swivels. This rifle will be more than able to shoot a riflemans score at an Appleseed.

Look for the TSR200 Model
    Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories
    Also on the tech Sights website on the parts page look for Item #TS155 and Item #TS211. These are the tools that will allow you to adjust the TSR200 sights.

This is a link the sling you will want.
    USGI Sling Nylon or Cotton

This is a link to some sling swivels that will work with the sling listed above.
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Detachable-Swivel-Tri-Lock/dp/B0002IOANI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355923346&sr=8-3&keywords=sling+swivels+10%2F22]Amazon.com: Uncle Mike's Quick Detachable Super Swivel with Tri-Lock (Blued, 1-1/4-Inch Loops): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Glock

Marksman
    Mar 25, 2012
    Also make sure you loctite the sights down. I would recommend using the blue loctite. If your not comfortable installing the sights and sling swivels I'm sure you can find someone who can do it for you.

Glock

Marksman
    Mar 25, 2012
    Ok, this might be a stupid question but how do I choose which model of the 10/22?

Good question. This will have to be answered by someone who knows more about 10/22 rifles. I only know about mine and I'm not sure what model it is.

lucky4034

Master
    Jan 14, 2012
    Ok, this might be a stupid question but how do I choose which model of the 10/22?

Just get the cheapest one... (carbine model)... Unless you KNOW you want tech sights. Then you will need to go to Amazon and purchase some sling mounts (they are cheap) and a USGI sling (also cheap) and 1 extra magazine.

As far as sights or optics... its all to preference. I personally prefer a lightweight 3x9 scope....

For an appleseed...

$220 for the rifle
    $20 for the sling + mounts

$30-$140 ish for the scope (depending on whether or not you want to buy a new scope every year or not.... I suggest getting a hold of AA Optics and have him help you select a scope that will last your husband a lifetime)

If it were me... total cost would be about $400 give or take.

If you don't want to spend that much... buy him the rifle for Christmas, then the scope for Valentine's ;) You won't regret it! And my guess is you will love his rifle as much as he will and will love joining him for Appleseed's even more!

The cool thing about 10/22's is that they have a very large aftermarket, so you will never have to worry about not knowing what to buy him for gifts!

Last edited:

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    Do the tech sights not work on the carbine model? I can't find that info. on their website.

Kind of funny, I actually meant that I was giving my husband suggestions for a Christmas gift for me! He'll go to Appleseed, but I am the one trying to push him along.

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Jan 14, 2012
    Do the tech sights not work on the carbine model? I can't find that info. on their website.

The carbine model doesn't come stock with tech sights, and I'm not 100% sure what the options are out there for putting them on.... They already have a mounted set of iron sights on them.

Tech sights are great... but they are not for everyone. The reason many people like to go with tech sights is for the nostalgia of trying to replicate using an M1 Garand. Most shooters at the Appleseeds I have attended prefer using a scope. Again its all preference.

Did you husband mention tech sights? Or is there another specific reason you are wanting tech sights?

lucky4034

Master
    Jan 14, 2012

Kind of funny, I actually meant that I was giving my husband suggestions for a Christmas gift for me! He'll go to Appleseed, but I am the one trying to push him along.

I see... AWESOME... you won't regret it!

BTW.. .the sight says bring 2 rifles, but its not necessary. From my experience, you only need a reliable rifle and you and your husband could even share, but its more fun to each have at least 1 rifle.

Last edited:

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    The carbine model doesn't come stock with tech sights, and I'm not 100% sure what the options are out there for putting them on.... They already have a mounted set of iron sights on them.

Tech sights are great... but they are not for everyone. The reason many people like to go with tech sights is for the nostalgia of trying to replicate using an M1 Garand. Most shooters at the Appleseeds I have attended prefer using a scope. Again its all preference.

Did you husband mention tech sights? Or is there another specific reason you are wanting tech sights?

Glock is the one that recommended tech sights. I guess I want a basic set up, but also something that will last for a while.

That's why our first safe was a Johnson safe.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    The Ruger 10/22 is one option with Tech Sights or scope or even the stock sights. We tell people to run what ya brung.

Another option that is a little cheaper is the Marlin 795. you can add tech sights, sling, and swivels with out drilling any holes . just need a screwdriver.

Either option be sure to get a second mag. you will need it for the AQT's.

If you dont have rifles you can register for an event and contact the state corrdinator in@appleseedinfo.org tell them you need loaners if available. most all of us have spares to loan to shooters.

PM me and I can walk you through any info you need along with a local event location.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010

To install tech sights on the carbine model, the rear sight screws into the receiver using the existing scope mount holes. The front sight replaces the factory front sight, it's real easy to remove. And while they do replicate the sights of the Garand or the AR-15, their biggest advantage is they are more easily adjustable for both elevation and windage. You also get a longer sight radius than the factory sights. Of course, a scope is also just fine if you so choose. I've had good luck with my Simmons 8-point, for the money I'm not sure it can be beat.

Brown makes an excellent point about the Marlin 795 already having sling studs installed, I really wish Ruger would do that.

Keep the questions coming, hope to see you on the line soon!

BrownDog

Marksman
    Mar 14, 2008
    The 10/22 Sporter Deluxe model does have sling swivels installed.

9k=

lucky4034

Master
    Jan 14, 2012
    The 795 looks to be a very nice gun as well... personally I think the 10/22 is worth a little extra for all the aftermaket options...

Hundreds of stocks, hundreds of barrels, hundreds of parts.... :twocents:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Right now we only have a few handguns, but would like to get started with Appleseed. I don't have any experience with a rifle, but see many references to the Ruger 10/22. I noticed that the site says to bring two rifles. What should I start out with, especially since I don't have any plans for hunting? My husband and I would both like to participate, but I am on the smaller side. Could we both be comfortable with the same rifles?

Then I see info. on building a "Liberty Training Rifle," not really sure I am ready for building anything gun related. But I guess the point for me is to get more comfortable with shooting and guns in general.

What are the important accessories?

I am also looking for answers so I know what to put on my last-minute (husband) Christmas list.

Congratulation for taking the first step to your Appleseed Adventure. You will love every minute of it. I have now done three appleseeds, my first two I used scoped rifles and the last one with tech sights installed. I went back to the tech sights because it allows you to build a very solid foundation of marksmanship skills. I would definately suggest trying the tech sights first.

One more thing about the tech sights, the TRS100 are fine, no need to spend the extra money on the 200 model.

Either the 795 or the 10/22 are both excellent rifles. The Savage Mark II is also another option, though it is a bolt action. You might want to get the semi-automatic ones verses a bolt action. Nothing against bolt action, I plan to do an Appleseed with one, but it might frustrate a new rifle shooter especially during the timed events, unless you like a big challenge.

If you think this rifle might be a heirloom someday, go with a wooden stock. If you're not sure if you will continue to shoot rifles, then the synthetic stocks are fine. And yes both smaller framed women and men can use the same rifle. As long as you can rest the butt of the stock in the area where your collar bone meets your shoulder and reach the trigger, that rifle will work for you. If you can not comfortable reach the trigger you may need a youth model, which has a shorten butt stock.

As suggested before, you will then need an USGI sling. I prefer the cotton version but the nylon works the same way. You will need to make sure you have two magazines. Don't get the high capacity magazines because they get in your way when shooting. The only other things you absolutely need is eye and ear protection along with the willingness to learn and try what the instructors say.

One last thing before I close my rambling reply. Right now Appleseed has a gift certificate you can get for your husband, so he can do an Appleseed for $30 off the regular price. Good at any Appleseed with no expiration date. I say for your husband because woman are half price of men already.

If you have any other questions post them up and we'll be glad to help out as much as we can.

Last edited:

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Good advice by all.

I have been to almost 50 Appleseeds and firmly believe that pretty much whatever you bring the instructors there will help make it work for you.

10/22s and 795s are the easiest rifles to take. Rayne's right that a firm foundation with iron sights is a great way to start. Tech Sights are great, Rayne is also right that the TSR100 is cheaper and (IMO) easier to use. Scopes are fine.

Bring a USGI sling, if you forget your shoes, bring a USGI sling.

mlzoiss

Plinker
    Aug 29, 2012
    Carmel, IN
    We went to PSS last night and they only had one 10/22 in stock. So we bought it. Guess I have to let my husband wrap it up, and I'll act surprised Christmas morning. Or I could wait until my anti-gun mother comes over to open it. :dunno:

1133.jpg

1133.html

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    We went to PSS last night and they only had one 10/22 in stock. So we bought it. Guess I have to let my husband wrap it up, and I'll act surprised Christmas morning. Or I could wait until my anti-gun mother comes over to open it. :dunno:

1133.jpg

1133.html

:laugh: The only thing that would be funnier is if you said mother n law instead of mother. :laugh:

The rifle's a beaut. Even if you didn't have much to select from, you picked a dandy looking one. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Congratulations and Merry CHRISTMAS!!!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So, are .22's the recommended rifle to take? And all I have as far as a .22 is a Weatherby XXII with a 6x fixed scope. Can I use that or do I have to find a Ruger or Marlin? I guess I can head on over to their website, but thought I'd ask here also in case they don't have the info on the site.

I also have a Garand, M1 Carbine and AR15 for a rifle. Do people use those?

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Unless a range is designated rimfire only and there are a few that are, then centerfire rifles are fine to use. They get a bit expensive though because you will shoot about 400 rounds during the weekend.

People have used AR15 rifles, Garands and M1Carbines at the Appleseed's I've been too.

Tube fed .22's are sometimes a bother, but I've seen instructor's work with the students so they are able to use their rifles. As long as the range isn't restricted, you have two magazines and can afford to feed it, most rifles are acceptable.

Top Bottom