What rifles are best to get Started with Appleseed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    gregkl,

I don't have personal experience with the Weatherby Mark XXII. I also don't have much experience with scopes. On those two issues I will just reiterate what has already been posted in this thread.

I read a description of the Mark XXII which said that it is bolt-action. Running the bolt will slow you down but we have people who do it very well and don't mind it. Some people just want to shoot their family heriloom, others like the challenge and others just "run what they brung." All are fine, just be ready to run the bolt, a lot. As Rayne said, round counts can be north of 400 for the weekend.

Scopes are completely legit. I've never done an Appleseed with a scope but they are common on the line. The advice I've heard given is that it is best to put variable power scopes on the lowest setting. That doesn't help you if you've got a fixed 6x, does it? One of the problems we get with higher power scopes is that people shoot on targets that are not their own. They only see the silhouette and not the number above the target.

All that being said, if you want to shoot it, bring it and we will let you. However, be prepared to stick with that rifle as Appleseed tries to minimize the number of rifle swaps on the line. One of the big reasons for this is that if you've got one sighted in and you are really learning how to hold and operate one rifle, you start from square one when you switch to a different rifle.

Save your more expensive ammo for one of the KD (known distance) Appleseeds at Camp Atterbury. We've got two that I know of on the 2013 calendar that are open to the public. Go to one of those and you will be able to let your M1 stretch its legs. It would be best if you go to at least one of the "regular" 25 meter Appleseed shoots before going to Atterbury to allow you to see how an Appleseed shoot runs and to pick up on the fundamentals before having to deal with bullet drop and wind deflection.

I hope to see you on the line sometime and don't hesitate to post more questions.

C ya,

brian
    Appleseed IIT3

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    We went to PSS last night and they only had one 10/22 in stock. So we bought it. Guess I have to let my husband wrap it up, and I'll act surprised Christmas morning. Or I could wait until my anti-gun mother comes over to open it. :dunno:

1133.jpg

1133.html

:): WAIT FOR ANTI-GUN MOM!!!!!

Nice lookin' rifle, by the way.

C ya,

brian

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    Either the 795 or the 10/22 are both excellent rifles. The Savage Mark II is also another option. You might want to make sure you get the automatic version verses a bolt action.

Didn't realize they made an automatic version of the Mark II :rockwoot: I want one! :D Overall, Rayne's got some good advice, typos aside. But the most important thing you can do now is grab that rifle and get it, and you, to an event!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    gregkl,

I don't have personal experience with the Weatherby Mark XXII. I also don't have much experience with scopes. On those two issues I will just reiterate what has already been posted in this thread.

I read a description of the Mark XXII which said that it is bolt-action. Running the bolt will slow you down but we have people who do it very well and don't mind it. Some people just want to shoot their family heriloom, others like the challenge and others just "run what they brung." All are fine, just be ready to run the bolt, a lot. As Rayne said, round counts can be north of 400 for the weekend.

Scopes are completely legit. I've never done an Appleseed with a scope but they are common on the line. The advice I've heard given is that it is best to put variable power scopes on the lowest setting. That doesn't help you if you've got a fixed 6x, does it? One of the problems we get with higher power scopes is that people shoot on targets that are not their own. They only see the silhouette and not the number above the target.

All that being said, if you want to shoot it, bring it and we will let you. However, be prepared to stick with that rifle as Appleseed tries to minimize the number of rifle swaps on the line. One of the big reasons for this is that if you've got one sighted in and you are really learning how to hold and operate one rifle, you start from square one when you switch to a different rifle.

Save your more expensive ammo for one of the KD (known distance) Appleseeds at Camp Atterbury. We've got two that I know of on the 2013 calendar that are open to the public. Go to one of those and you will be able to let your M1 stretch its legs. It would be best if you go to at least one of the "regular" 25 meter Appleseed shoots before going to Atterbury to allow you to see how an Appleseed shoot runs and to pick up on the fundamentals before having to deal with bullet drop and wind deflection.

I hope to see you on the line sometime and don't hesitate to post more questions.

C ya,

brian
    Appleseed IIT3

Thanks! Good info. BTW, my xxii is a semi-auto.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    LOVE THE MANNLICHER STOCKS. USGI slings make great stocking stuffers. Tech Sights go well with pearls and just about any other Christmas gift.

Of course, what is really fun is driving home after your first Appleseed when it turns out you shoot way better than your husband because you listen well and don't have ego troubles. While he is hopping mad at getting shown up you can say in a drippingly innocent voice, "I'm sorry honey but if you had just listened closer to what ol' Huff was telling us maybe you would have cleaned your redcoat too."

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Congrats on the new rifle. Very good looking.

I've only been to one Appleseed (planning to attend more this Spring) but my biggest piece of advice would be to buy more 10/22 mags. I only brought two and wish I would have had 6. Why? Things move fast during the AQTs on your second day. Your head is spinning with thoughts about sling use, natural point of aim, cadence, body position, the course of fire, etc, etc. Your instructors tell you this will be like drinking from a fire hose and it is true.

The problem is if you're thinking about all that and trying to quickly reload 2 mags between 4 strings of shot you will at some point not load the correct number of rounds. Happened to me 3 times and my buddy twice. Not thinking about reloading would have allowed me to concentrate on other things.

Yes, you can get by with two mags. But I know I will have 6 so I don't have to reload at all until the end of each AQT.

Huntrdan

Plinker
    May 15, 2009
    Columbus
    The front sling mount on the Mannlicher stock won't accept the 1 1/4" web sling. Tech Sight has 1" web slings on there website.

Also, I would strongly advise removing the 2 bolts from your barrel V block and applying a drop of removeable Loctite and torque them to 15-18" inch lbs.
    Do the same to the stock/reciever bolt. If you torque it to the same value everytime that you have it down for cleaning, you POI won't change as much.

dbishop728

Plinker
    Dec 4, 2012
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am wanting to register my 15 year old son and he has a Ruger 1022. Are iron sights alone ok or does he need a scope? I would prefer he master iron sights first. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Ruger Iron sights are fine to use. we will teach you to use those plus a lot of other types also. scopes work great also.
    Tech sights will lengthen your sight radius and mimic the battle rifle sight systems but stock sights will suit you well

I am wanting to register my 15 year old son and he has a Ruger 1022. Are iron sights alone ok or does he need a scope? I would prefer he master iron sights first. Any feedback would be appreciated.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Bishop, The instructors and Appleseed experts will chime in more, but I think you're absolutely doing the right thing having him learn to shoot iron sights first. Most of the instructors believe it teaches the fundamentals of natural point of aim better than using sights.

If you have an extra little bit of cash, I too would highly recommend tech sights.

Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories

I just put a set on a different gun and they are fantastic. SO much better than the regular 10/22 sights.

The only other requisite is some decent ammo and a web sling. You can get the sling from the Appleseed web store.

Oh, and go shoot it with him. You will both learn a ton. I had been shooting and hunting for over 30 years before going to my first Appleseed last Fall. I learned a TON and am so pleased I went. I will be doing more this year.

khickey3492

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Sep 6, 2010
    Kokomo
    I haven't shot my first Appleseed, but I do have Tech-Sights on my 10/22 and they are WELL worth the money.

Better adjustability and the front sight post is better than a blade. My $0.02

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    @Bishop228,

My first Appleseed shoot was with a 10/22 with stock sights. I had a tough time with them as they didn't have enough adjustment to got my point of aim aligned with my point of impact. I had to hold low and right and for a newbie that just added to the weirdness.

I got some tech sights and practiced all summer long and shot rifleman at my 2nd Appleseed shoot.

If I had just gotten the tech sights and had not practiced I wouldn't have shot RM. If I had practiced all summer with the stock sights I MIGHT have shot RM. It's easier to do well with good gear but without hard work (unless you're some kind of prodigy, which I'm not) and the right technique gear doesn't matter.

BTW, I do agree that doing iron sights first is a good idea.

I hope to see you and your son on the line.

C ya,

brian
    IIT3

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    @Bishop228,

My first Appleseed shoot was with a 10/22 with stock sights. I had a tough time with them as they didn't have enough adjustment to got my point of aim aligned with my point of impact. I had to hold low and right and for a newbie that just added to the weirdness.

I got some tech sights and practiced all summer long and shot rifleman at my 2nd Appleseed shoot.

If I had just gotten the tech sights and had not practiced I wouldn't have shot RM. If I had practiced all summer with the stock sights I MIGHT have shot RM. It's easier to do well with good gear but without hard work (unless you're some kind of prodigy, which I'm not) and the right technique gear doesn't matter.

BTW, I do agree that doing iron sights first is a good idea.

I hope to see you and your son on the line.

C ya,

brian
    IIT3

I hear this a lot about Appleseed. My eyes are too old to use iron sights. If I want to shoot at anything over a few yards, I need optics. If using optics is not a good idea for a first, then maybe Appleseed is not for me.

Or is it possible that even though I have good long distance vision, but being cross-dominant and having to wear readers I could be taught to use irons?

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    I hear this a lot about Appleseed. My eyes are too old to use iron sights. If I want to shoot at anything over a few yards, I need optics. If using optics is not a good idea for a first, then maybe Appleseed is not for me.

Or is it possible that even though I have good long distance vision, but being cross-dominant and having to wear readers I could be taught to use irons?

You can be taught to use irons, you can also be taught to shoot with your dominant eye (i.e., if you're right-handed but left-eye dominant we'll teach you to shoot left-handed). You can also use a scope if you so choose, doesn't matter to us one bit.

cyprant

Master
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Not to thread jack, but any suggestions on a better trigger for the 10/22? I want to get one with tech sights, but every one I have handle has a terrible trigger. The entire trigger group moves a fraction of an inch when I pull the trigger. I do have to say, I have only tried a couple. I see a couple of aftermarket triggers that run about the same cost as the gun itself. Not sure I want to put that much $ into one. Maybe 15/22 is what I should be looking at...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not to thread jack, but any suggestions on a better trigger for the 10/22? I want to get one with tech sights, but every one I have handle has a terrible trigger. The entire trigger group moves a fraction of an inch when I pull the trigger. I do have to say, I have only tried a couple. I see a couple of aftermarket triggers that run about the same cost as the gun itself. Not sure I want to put that much $ into one. Maybe 15/22 is what I should be looking at...

Clark Custom Trigger Kit-$155. Pricey, but the best.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    A Volquartsen or Power Custom hammer might also do the trick for you for a little bit cheaper.

Top Bottom