What rifles are best to get Started with Appleseed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Gregkl,

Like Spitfire said, we are very flexible. If you bring it, we will try very hard to help you shoot with it. If you don't want to mess with irons then bring your scoped rifle. Just show up! We want you on our line!

C ya,

brian

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not to thread jack, but any suggestions on a better trigger for the 10/22? I want to get one with tech sights, but every one I have handle has a terrible trigger. The entire trigger group moves a fraction of an inch when I pull the trigger. I do have to say, I have only tried a couple. I see a couple of aftermarket triggers that run about the same cost as the gun itself. Not sure I want to put that much $ into one. Maybe 15/22 is what I should be looking at...

I've got this: Volquartsen Target Hammer Bushings Ruger 10/22 and really like it.

C ya,

brian

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Triggers - The older the 10-22 the better. The old 10-22s had a metal trigger assembly that was less prone to wallowing. They also had a hammer that didn't float around on its pin as much. After market trigger assemblies are, if you pull and old Ruger and a new one apart and look at their gutty wuts, very similar in design to the older models. If you have a new one with a lot of movement or a heavy break the power custom or the Volks hammer cant be an easy fix.

Sights - Nobody cares what sights you use.

People who insist that Appleseed requires irons are weirdos with mysterious agendas bent on world domination.

The reason that irons are so often associated with Appleseed is because many of the instructors and students went in believing that they had too poor of vision to use irons sights. Often (pretty much all the time) they believed so erroneously. Many of us were faced with an uncomfortable reality that the error was not in poor vision but in a fundamental lack of understanding in how to deploy iron sights properly in shooting. After having excellent instructors coach us on the correct methodology, we got better. I often thought that the irons on my M4gery were simply out of the ability of my vision to use with precision. The sight radius too short, my astigmatism preventing proper focus, my eyes being fair and not good at collecting light, etc. I believed it intensely to the point of ignoring good advice. Thankfully, Appleseed instructors set me straight, in particular Mudcat, Yellowhousejake, and ATM. Now, I enjoy shooting irons with relish. My skills, in particular my skills with a scope, are much sharper because of the work with irons and pretty much every instructor will tell you that.

Appleseed instructors have a ton of experience teaching scoped shooting, too.

If the advice above doesn't sit right, ask people who have gone to Appleseeds and shot Rifleman scores. In particular, ask the ones who used scopes first and then came back with irons.

Last edited:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper

If the advice above doesn't sit right, ask people who have gone to Appleseeds and shot Rifleman scores. In particular, ask the ones who used scopes first and then came back with irons.

:wavey: I would be one of those people to ask, or OneBadV8. Both of us shot riflemen scores using scoped rifles and then shot better riflemen scores using irons.

But I had an awesome instructor too :):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Gregkl,

Like Spitfire said, we are very flexible. If you bring it, we will try very hard to help you shoot with it. If you don't want to mess with irons then bring your scoped rifle. Just show up! We want you on our line!

C ya,

brian

Thanks!

Sights - Nobody cares what sights you use.

People who insist that Appleseed requires irons are weirdos with mysterious agendas bent on world domination.

The reason that irons are so often associated with Appleseed is because many of the instructors and students went in believing that they had too poor of vision to use irons sights. Often (pretty much all the time) they believed so erroneously. Many of us were faced with an uncomfortable reality that the error was not in poor vision but in a fundamental lack of understanding in how to deploy iron sights properly in shooting. After having excellent instructors coach us on the correct methodology, we got better. I often thought that the irons on my M4gery were simply out of the ability of my vision to use with precision. The sight radius too short, my astigmatism preventing proper focus, my eyes being fair and not good at collecting light, etc. I believed it intensely to the point of ignoring good advice. Thankfully, Appleseed instructors set me straight, in particular Mudcat, Yellowhousejake, and ATM. Now, I enjoy shooting irons with relish. My skills, in particular my skills with a scope, are much sharper because of the work with irons and pretty much every instructor will tell you that.

This is good to hear. I was going to pass on attending one. I am too old/lazy to think about switching to left handed shooting. If you guys think you can teach a right-handed, left eye dominant noob to shoot decently, then I will plan on attending one. I currently have a .22 rifle with a scope on it. I could remove it for Appleseed. I am also thinking of buying a 10/22 if I can get one at a reasonable price. This way I could bring my wife and make it a fun date.:)

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Thanks!

This is good to hear. I was going to pass on attending one. I am too old/lazy to think about switching to left handed shooting. If you guys think you can teach a right-handed, left eye dominant noob to shoot decently, then I will plan on attending one. I currently have a .22 rifle with a scope on it. I could remove it for Appleseed. I am also thinking of buying a 10/22 if I can get one at a reasonable price. This way I could bring my wife and make it a fun date.:)

Don't wait to buy a rifle, there are loaner rifles available...just ask and you will probably have 2 or 3 offers to loan you a rifle. I can't think of a more fun date...wish my hubby would ask me out on one of those. :)

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Thanks!

This is good to hear. I was going to pass on attending one. I am too old/lazy to think about switching to left handed shooting. If you guys think you can teach a right-handed, left eye dominant noob to shoot decently, then I will plan on attending one. This way I could bring my wife and make it a fun date.:)

You should try shooting lefty. It feels like you are wearing someone else's underwear for a little bit but your body adapts surprisingly quickly when its processing info from its dominant eye. Otherwise you should consider investing in an eye patch or some vet wrap to cover the dominant eye.

I wouldn't bring my wife. I hate her and I don't let her touch my guns because women can't shoot. I wouldn't let anyone try to teach her either because that's just ridiculous. :ladiesman:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You should try shooting lefty. It feels like you are wearing someone else's underwear for a little bit but your body adapts surprisingly quickly when its processing info from its dominant eye. Otherwise you should consider investing in an eye patch or some vet wrap to cover the dominant eye.

I wouldn't bring my wife. I hate her and I don't let her touch my guns because women can't shoot. I wouldn't let anyone try to teach her either because that's just ridiculous. :ladiesman:

I was thinking of putting a piece of tape over my left lens. I am going to try that for pistol.

Okay, I won't bring my wife.;) Girlfriend?

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Tape works. My wife has had a lot of success taking lip balm and putting a smear on the lens in the dead ahead area. The idea being that if you have a sound position your head should be in as near a vertical position as possible and your eyes should be looking as straight out of your skull as possible. The smear givers her peripheral vision but does not give adequate focus forward to allow the eye not aligned with the sights to confuse the brain. Its supposed to be a pistol trick for action shooters to allow them to only let one eye make decisions while still involving the other in finding the next target. It works for her but I think its hokum because suggesting that women can shoot is a false premise. Her results seem to indicate both good results for the lip balm and a slaw in my thesis.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Huff, you are gonna get my ole lady dander up in a bit, with all this talk of ladies not being able to shoot. Now I might not be as good as you young pups, but I think I can hold my own with some of the boys. :draw:

rabbitdave

Marksman
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    Has anyone shot the Citadel m1-22 yet...After shooting the Ruger SR-22 with a 4x ACOG at Rifleman, I want to shoot Rifleman with iron sights. The Citadel looks like a fun gun. The Citadel M1-22 Review

As far as a gun for an appleseed....Highly recommend the M1 or AR. So much fun, but for saving $$ any old .22. Just make sure you can put a 1 1/4inch sling on it.

Joe G

Expert
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    Tube fed .22's are sometimes a bother, but I've seen instructor's work with the students so they are able to use their rifles. As long as the range isn't restricted, you have two magazines and can afford to feed it, most rifles are acceptable.

My son got a Marlin 60 (tube fed semi-auto) for Christmas.

It sounds like it's not impossible to use that effectively at Appleseed, but it won't be easy due to the constant reloading.

Am I correct?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    My son got a Marlin 60 (tube fed semi-auto) for Christmas.

It sounds like it's not impossible to use that effectively at Appleseed, but it won't be easy due to the constant reloading.

Am I correct?

He'll do just fine with that rifle. Loading will not be difficult at all, just a slightly different procedure than the magazine fed shooters will be doing.
    It will be explained at the event, no worries.

cyprant

Master
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    I bought 1" sling and 1" sling swivels... I see people make suggestions as above to make sure you get 1 1/4 inch sling.

Is there much difference?

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I bought 1" sling and 1" sling swivels... I see people make suggestions as above to make sure you get 1 1/4 inch sling.

Is there much difference?

It's not the 1 1/4" part that is important. What you want is a GI web sling for a M1 or M1A. 1" vs 1 1/4" is unimportant with a rimfire. We have seen plenty of 1 1/4" sling that are not really even good for carrying your rifle, much less shooting it.

Slings can be found below, or your local surplus store.
    New Items
    Accessories

Even a 1907 leather will work (my personal favorite). The trick is the way it is used more than the material, width, or source.

YHJ

Top Bottom