What makes an American car an American car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My 10GT 4.6 is rated at 315. Things change. I could bolt on a supercharger for 700, no problem. Not going to; I can already unnerve almost anyone in the passenger seat except maybe Chuck Yeager. Wanna ride?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    But what makes an "American" car/truck American??

That's a good question.
    Maybe just the brand. :dunno:
    I drive a car that I would call American because of the brand, it's a Ford, even though it was made in Germany.
    Im not sure if it has any american parts in it and it was maybe not even designed in the US because it's a European model not sold in the US.
    It's mostly made with European parts.
    So how American is it? I dont know.That's not really important to me anyway.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    American cars (my opinion, yes we all have one):

Chevy Corvette
    Ford Mustang
    Jeep Wrangler
    there are more, but these three came to mind.

Built by American's in the U.S.A..

So built by Americans in the U.S.A.
    Honda Civic?
    BMW X3
    Kia
    ??

They all have plants in America with Americans building them...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One key phrase here...Global economy....Nothing is as it seems. The evo motor on a Harley was designed and the machines for its manuf. were done in Germany. The front tubes were Showa of Japan and so on. My son works in NE Indiana making wire looms for Toyota at a sub Assembly plant owned and operated (non union) by Americans. How many of the parts in your Brand name "American" guns were made here. We have gone Global boys and girls so get used to it.

ASSEMBLED in the USA

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Apparently Ford, GM, and Chrysler don't think it matters. Other than that Chrysler commercial about imported from Detroit (whatever that was supposed to mean), you don't see any of them bragging about being "American". If you pop the hood, check under the dash, look at casting marks, and check all those "Made In...." stickers, you'll see many parts of the world represented in your vehicle.

In full disclosure, I work for GM.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    American cars are from the big 3 IMO. One can argue this all you want. My german designed, canadian assembled Dodge Charger is still more american than any Toyota, Honda, or Subaru.

Every person will have a different answer for you though. People will flame me for my answer.

Honey-Badger-Dont-Care.jpg

Don't ya know that those 3 are all made here by Americans !!!!

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Huge difference in tuning, compressions, etc. The F250 is a truck, the M5 is a sports car. Its not quite apples to oranges, more potatoes to sweet potatoes. Sure they both say potato, but they arent the same thing.

The BMW X5 pushes out more than the Ford and that's a truck..... what else have you got??

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    American cars (my opinion, yes we all have one):

Chevy Corvette
    Ford Mustang
    Jeep Wrangler
    there are more, but these three came to mind.

Built by American's in the U.S.A..

BMW X3 BMW X5 BMW Z3 BMWZ4
    Mercedes Benz ML350 ML500
    Toyota Camry, Corolla, Tundra
    Honda Civic
    Suburu outback and many more.
    ALL AMERICAN MADE !!!!!

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    My 10GT 4.6 is rated at 315. Things change. I could bolt on a supercharger for 700, no problem. Not going to; I can already unnerve almost anyone in the passenger seat except maybe Chuck Yeager. Wanna ride?

You could. but then you would be shopping for a new engine :D. I assure you that you would be paying for a lot more than a supercharger to make that kind of power while keeping your car running.

An American car is simply an American brand name, ie Ford, GM, Chrysler. Just because a Honda Civic is manufactured in the U.S. does not make it an American car. You could make a case against foreign-designed cars wearing American badges like the Dodge Stealth, Plymouth Talon, Dodge Stratus, 2004-06 Pontiac GTO, etc.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The BMW X5 pushes out more than the Ford and that's a truck..... what else have you got??

Well first, one is a BMW and one is a Ford. Kinda different type of car right?

The X5 is a sporty SUV, the F250 is a work truck. You think and X5 can tow 10,000lbs? Yeah didnt think so. Like I said different type of car.

The V8 X5 is also 65,000 base price and it has a 4.4L V8 with 350hp. Not exactly a rocket ship for 65,000. But that MSRP is quite a far cry from most all Fords outside of the GT500 and Ford GT. The new 2013 GT500 will boast a V8 making 650hp and will be in the 65K price range. What else you got?

Last edited:

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    Geography 101
    250px-N%26SAmerica-pol.jpg

So, who here drives a BR-800?:D

And, as far as trucks and BMWs, it's where the engine is tuned to make power at. Trucks make more power at lower RPMs (torque), as they haul more weight. If you want a more direct comparison, then put a F150 Lightning against the BMW. Just don't hit any fast curves, okay?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom