What makes an American car an American car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Saw in another thread someone only buys an American car. With so many "American" cars having most parts made either over seas, in Mexico or Canada and alot of assembly plants in Canada... what is it that makes an American car an American car?

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    American cars are from the big 3 IMO. One can argue this all you want. My german designed, canadian assembled Dodge Charger is still more american than any Toyota, Honda, or Subaru.

Every person will have a different answer for you though. People will flame me for my answer.

Honey-Badger-Dont-Care.jpg

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    It has to be subsidized by taxpayer money, assembled by Union dues paying robots and over paid screwdriver jockeys, overpriced and underperform.

Talk bad about em all you want...Ive still got food on my table. Thanks Chrysler!! :rockwoot: :patriot:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

A couple of the best american motors ever made were 6 cyl.
    A "couple" yes..... (GNX, Syclone, Typhoon, etc.) but by-and-large, the classic big-inch, gas guzzling, tire melting, V8 engine with big torque is what made American cars what they are today. :thumbsup:

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    :dunno:
    Can you give more info on this one?
    My 2002 BMW M5 has a 4.9 V8 with 394HP. My 2001 F250 5.4 V8 only makes around 300HP...

Huge difference in tuning, compressions, etc. The F250 is a truck, the M5 is a sports car. Its not quite apples to oranges, more potatoes to sweet potatoes. Sure they both say potato, but they arent the same thing.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The new Camaro is an Australian design (Holden) and made in Canada. Yeah, V8 power. Some of the "Japanese" cars have more American components in them than the big three's. Get the car you want and don't worry about it; nothing you do will influence them in any way, anyway.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Wouldn't you want a "work" truck to make more power and torque with that size of a V8?? It's made to haul stuff after all.

So if the truck is an orange. Is the Mustang GT a better comparison?
    4.6 V8 is at 260HP... (I used a 2002 Mustang to keep that field even)

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Some of the "Japanese" cars have more American components in them than the big three's. Get the car you want and don't worry about it; nothing you do will influence them in any way, anyway.
    This is the way I look at it... But I want to try to understand why buy only from the big 3....

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Wouldn't you want a "work" truck to make more power and torque with that size of a V8?? It's made to haul stuff after all.

So if the truck is an orange. Is the Mustang GT a better comparison?
    4.6 V8 is at 260HP... (I used a 2002 Mustang to keep that field even)

Balance between EPA standards for fuel economy and power, etc

You can take a 4.6 ltr and pump nearly 1000 HP out of one

You can take 500 CID and get 8000 HP, course that means nitro methane as fuel.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    This is the way I look at it... But I want to try to understand why buy only from the big 3....

I only buy from the big 3, more specifically only Chrysler.

The local economy in Kokomo, is completely dependent on Chryslers well being...and a huge chunk of my family are Chrysler employees.

I support the people who support me.

Top Bottom