• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    IBTL!
    What? Too soon?

To me, 250 cats sounds like a lot for an animal most have never witnessed in person. But I note that deer and turkey sometimes seem like a dime per dozen, and those animals are "managed", proving managed and over-hunted are not synonymous. I assume the state biologist has no vested interest in over-hunting of any native creature.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    IBTL!
    What? Too soon?

To me, 250 cats sounds like a lot for an animal most have never witnessed in person. But I note that deer and turkey sometimes seem like a dime per dozen, and those animals are "managed", proving managed and over-hunted are not synonymous. I assume the state biologist has no vested interest in over-hunting of any native creature.
    250 seems pretty low to me. The otter limit is 750 and I've never seen one in the wild (at least not in a trap). I also never saw a beaver in Indiana until I was 32 and they're a nuisance in some areas. But I've seen multiple bobcats with my own eyes.

I get more bobcats on trailcams than I do coyotes. That's what I told the DNR when I sent them all my pics and logged sightings.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    250 seems pretty low to me. The otter limit is 750 and I've never seen one in the wild (at least not in a trap). I also never saw a beaver in Indiana until I was 32 and they're a nuisance in some areas. But I've seen multiple bobcats with my own eyes.

I get more bobcats on trailcams than I do coyotes. That's what I told the DNR when I sent them all my pics and logged sightings.
    Well, 250 cats harvested, if divided equally across all IN counties is less than 3/county. The same 250 cats divided equally across the 40 counties allowed to harvest is more than 6/county. Six less cats in Monroe county wouldn't seem noticable. But could Decatur county give up six cats and still have a breeding population left?

The otter harvest is going up to 750 statewide. In effect, bobcat harvest is 1/3 that of otters but in less than 1/2 the area. That sounds like a lot given that the state provided no population data this year while debating the legislation and claimed in 2019 that it did not "have the scientific data to support a sustainable bobcat season". I don't know which Indiana to believe, the 2019 one, or the 2024 one but I sure would like a bad-*** bobcat trophy. I'd settle for buying a pelt. The state claims they sell for $100.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have coyotes, bears, bobcats, eagles, and even a confirmed cougar. Yet, my deer herd is increasing very slowly. We may have a few turkeys too. I do see less fawns than I think I should but all is well.
    The main problem working against the herd is the unlimited doe tags that are issued. Muzzleloader season? You can use your regular deer rifle! What's the point in having a muzzleloader season if you can use anything?
    Michigan, BTW.
    Another potential emerging issue is wolves. One department says there are none. Another is doing an aerial survey to determine the population. Hmmmm. We do hear howling occasionally. It sure as heck ain't coyotes.

Top Bottom