What kind of grease do you guys use for your metal guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Have you tested this product in the LOW end of extreme temps?

I ask because if it's designed for high temps, operating in a very low temp could make it "more viscous" and make recoil a difficulty. Possibly even fail to cycle properly depending on the gun, temps, etc. :dunno:

I have used it in every weapon I have, year round. I am sure some of those times were below zero. No problems at all on my end.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    grease, which is what is used on automotive wheel bearings, is too heavy for guns. The reason everyone is in-between grease and using oil is because the grease you probably have is too heavy. NGLI #0 grease is the answer.

Grease for guns should be the consistency of butter that has been left out all day, not hard at all.
    I agree in part ^. Grease is for load bearing applications, like the aforementioned wheel bearings. Oil is for parts that need to move freely without bearing a load. This is why you put grease in your car's aforementioned wheel bearings and oil in the motor. When colder temps or dirt/carbon/gunk introduce themselves to grease, it tends to make things sluggish.

I prefer the light synthetic poly/blend stuff that is rated for super duper hot (excess of a bazillion degrees) and super duper cold (four gajillion degrees below freeze level). I know it'll go bang without "drag" every time. Drag (that sluggishness) is what will cause failures to extract - resulting in the jam that tons of people think 1911s are so famous for. (Maybe it's your GREASE!)

Gummed up works will fail to let the slide cycle fast enough to extract the casing out of the way before the next one stripped off the top of the mag tries to take its place. JAM.

I'm a big advocate of light poly/syth oil over any type of grease. MOVING parts...not load bearing ones. :) YMMV

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Militec 1 and rem oil is what ive been using for years.

I used Militec overseas. It dries to sort of a waxy consistency on the surface, so it didn't let the sand and dust stick in the Beretta as much as other greases I tried. It was a PITA to keep the Beretta running, especially with the crap mags.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    THIS

$(KGrHqJ,!p!FBd9r9sJkBQq9t2,UD!~~60_12.JPG

Yeah yeah, call me old school. I have several cans.

Below -10 degrees, all the grease comes off my M14 and Arctic GI oil gets put on.
    $(KGrHqV,!qsE-ZP9LYgJBPzCdDocOQ~~60_12.JPG

Top Bottom