What kind of grease do you guys use for your metal guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I guess I'm cheap or ignorant, but I use a moly type lube, I believe it's Ford branded. :):

I use it for my Yugo and other milsurp guns. High price stuff just doesn't seem appropriate....

nmcqueen469

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Whitley County
    mp_90374.jpg

I could put some in a fancy syringe and sell an ounce to you for $10 if you want, or you could pick up a pound for $4.

Yep!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    mp_90374.jpg

I could put some in a fancy syringe and sell an ounce to you for $10 if you want, or you could pick up a pound for $4.

Have you tested this product in the LOW end of extreme temps?

I ask because if it's designed for high temps, operating in a very low temp could make it "more viscous" and make recoil a difficulty. Possibly even fail to cycle properly depending on the gun, temps, etc. :dunno:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Have you tested this product in the LOW end of extreme temps?

I ask because if it's designed for high temps, operating in a very low temp could make it "more viscous" and make recoil a difficulty. Possibly even fail to cycle properly depending on the gun, temps, etc. :dunno:

What's wrong with you? Don't you know that the S only hits the F in good weather??? :):

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Where can one buy this in small quantities? I see only like, gigantic barrels of this stuff lol.

You can get a small (smaller than pint-size paint can) container of it at the Lubriplate website.

NGLI #2 grease, which is what is used on automotive wheel bearings, is too heavy for guns. The reason everyone is in-between grease and using oil is because the grease you probably have is too heavy. NGLI #0 grease is the answer.

Grease for guns should be the consistency of butter that has been left out all day, not hard at all.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Jeez, grease is pretty damn expensive. Appreciate the suggestions everyone.

You don't have to use a lot. If it's for a gun that you carry, it will stick there for a long time too. As the others have mentioned, most greases will work as long as you operate the gun within their limits. Many of the greases you can get get way too thick/viscous when its cold, but that's not an issue in the summer.

Do any local stores carry TW25B?

I've looked in almost every outdoors store I can imagine and haven't found it locally yet...

I used to get mine from Darrel's in Cayuga, IN, but he quit stocking in more than 10 years ago. I get it mail order, but one tube lasts a long, long time. I only use it on carry guns that I don't shoot much. On guns that shoot frequently, I use Kellube.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Put me in as another RIG user.

Sparingly, at that. I apply it with a toothpick on the slide rails - and that's just about it.

-J-

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Use cheap, high temperature wheel bearing grease from the autoparts store on all of your friction surfaces. Costs roughly $4/lb. Anything else is a waste of money.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    mp_90374.jpg

+1

However do not buy Lawrra's inferior product!

My version of this 1oz package will have labeling that will include the words "HIGH TECH GUN GREASE" which makes it obviously superior!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Weapon Shield...I use both the grease and the CLP

Good choice. Weapon Shield CLP is the descendant of FP-10. Both were created by George Fennell who is a tribologist who knows his stuff. I haven't used the grease, but I'd try it first if I couldn't find TW25B. I have a huge bottle of the Weapon Shielf CLP at home!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I found a hardware store that had Lubriplate in 1.75 ounce tubes (the size of a small toothpaste tube) They are really handy to throw in your shotgun case, pistol bag, etc. I bought 4 tubes. Since you only really need a pin head sized drop for most applications, I figure those will last the rest of my life.

Top Bottom