• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Gotta agree about Mora # 2, really sharp out of the wrapper. I have a 6in Kukri blade that now holds a good edge.( a chopper knife for sure) Eastern Indian, not Pakistan.
    Bought on auction, and was really surprised at the condition when received. Private owned, shipped from California. Thinking about paracord wrapping the handles, is heavy plastic now. Solid one piece constructed.
    Lastly an EDC, Bear and Sons 3 blade stockman w/ stag handles. Got as a Father's Day gift from my sons 3 yrs ago. Great knife, holds an edge, easily sharpened.

Steeltoe546

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Castleton
    granted, I'm new to many of the knife brands out there, but besides their machetes, I've been able to shave with cold steel blades out of the box.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    granted, I'm new to many of the knife brands out there, but besides their machetes, I've been able to shave with cold steel blades out of the box.

In before the CS flame storm. :flamethrower:

I actually have a CS AK-47 and it holds a very decent edge. It's not my EDC knife, but it has a home in one of my bags.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    My Gerber MkII has been scary sharp since the '70's...daily scary sharp is provided by my Friedr Herder Chef Knife; that thing has earned my respect.

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    Out of boredom I managed to sharpen a Sodbuster jr enough to cut hanging hair. It zips through paper like nothing is there.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Out of boredom I managed to sharpen a Sodbuster jr enough to cut hanging hair. It zips through paper like nothing is there.

Those are good blades! Thin stock, good edge geometry, good heat treatment ... lots of potential for SHARP.

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    Those are good blades! Thin stock, good edge geometry, good heat treatment ... lots of potential for SHARP.
    It's no super steel, so it doesn't stay sharp for long. However, it takes little effort to resharpen. The blade is very thin and hollow ground all the way to the spine, so it can get really sharp. Resharpening my Endura ZDP to the same level would take hours.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's no super steel, so it doesn't stay sharp for long. However, it takes little effort to resharpen. The blade is very thin and hollow ground all the way to the spine, so it can get really sharp. Resharpening my Endura ZDP to the same level would take hours.

Is it a Case? It's either 440A (okay) or 1095CV (excellent). They're a little soft, but as you note, you can get them really sharp. If you rehardened the blade, it would be a little more brittle, but it was stay sharp a long time. A guy named Alvin on an old email list I used to read would take old Schrade pocket knives apart and re-heat treat the blades to make them super hard. I wish I had let him do some of mine!

I'm still irritated by my ZDP-189 (it lives with riverman67 now). It stays as sharp as I could get a long time, but I never got the same kind of edge on it that I could with just about any other decent steel. Disappointed I was and am!

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    Is it a Case? It's either 440A (okay) or 1095CV (excellent). They're a little soft, but as you note, you can get them really sharp. If you rehardened the blade, it would be a little more brittle, but it was stay sharp a long time. A guy named Alvin on an old email list I used to read would take old Schrade pocket knives apart and re-heat treat the blades to make them super hard. I wish I had let him do some of mine!I'm still irritated by my ZDP-189 (it lives with riverman67 now). It stays as sharp as I could get a long time, but I never got the same kind of edge on it that I could with just about any other decent steel. Disappointed I was and am!
    It's a Case that I bought on a whim from Lowe's, and based on the price it must be 440A. ZDP-189 has roughly 10 times the abrasion resistance of 440C, so it's probably 15 times 440A. If it takes me 5 minutes to strop the sodbuster, it would take 75 minutes to get the same sharpness on the Endura. Today I have no time to make razor blades out of ZDP, and I can't justify the fancy sharpeners that run a couple hundred bucks.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Is it a Case? It's either 440A (okay) or 1095CV (excellent). They're a little soft, but as you note, you can get them really sharp. If you rehardened the blade, it would be a little more brittle, but it was stay sharp a long time. A guy named Alvin on an old email list I used to read would take old Schrade pocket knives apart and re-heat treat the blades to make them super hard. I wish I had let him do some of mine!

I'm still irritated by my ZDP-189 (it lives with riverman67 now). It stays as sharp as I could get a long time, but I never got the same kind of edge on it that I could with just about any other decent steel. Disappointed I was and am!

I've managed to get my super-wizbang-high-speed-low-drag-wundersteel M390 Benchmade pretty sharp, but I can't get it on the same level as my S30V leatherman blade, or old S30V spydies.

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    I suck at sharpening knives :(
    Actually when you use guided sharpeners like Lansky, DMT, Edgepro, and Wicked Edge it doesn't take much skill. The knife is clamped, then the guide keeps the whetstone at a constant angle. All you need is patience. It takes more skill to correctly use your average hardware store Arkansas stone because your hand must be steady enough to keep the angle.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    440A does have one advantage over 440C. The carbides that form are smaller, so you can get a thinner, sharper edge ultimately. It won't last as long, but it will get sharper.

Top Bottom