• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    When you got to get your fingerprints use the computer scan. It costs less than 10bucks and I got my permit in 7 business days verses the 3months my neighbor waited b/c he said I was wasting my money. I promise it is well worth the time and money.

Please explain? I have plenty of time, but not a lot of funds, but if it shaves off that much time, I'm willing to spend the extra $.

I do have a little P22 for plinking around/practicing my form, and my step-father-in-law has an LCP 380, Ruger 38sp snubby, G17, and a SA .40, and have practice with those (honestly, I liked the revolver and the LCP, with the exception to the SA, but common, a .40/45 feels fantastic to shoot, but I'm on a budget here).

My office provides eyes and ears for free.

I know IndyGunSafety has classes, basic pistol and personal defense pistol, for what I thought was a good price, but I may be mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong. $200 for the combination)

As far as familiarity, I grew up in the country and shooting was just part of life, so firearm safety was as much of life as taking out the trash (or burning it way back when). But, now that I'm in the city, I figure I should join a range or club so I don't have to pay the ridiculous (I'm used to shooting for free in the back yard) fees every time.

The family just bought a big fat pig at the last 4H, so Bacon is covered;)

So, what it really comes down to is the initial cost of the firearm (as cheap or expensive as I'm willing to go, aka, what the wife will let me spend), the $150 for the LLTCH, and I can find everything else at Walmart/ebay.

Thanks guys/gals, I really appreciate the input. It is a great insight into how much I will spend to get started... and I have already been diagnosed with gun-nut-itis (NOT a disease of the.... well, you know), so I know that there will be much more spent in the long term, I was just trying to get an idea of what to save back for it all.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    If you do your LTCH via the "online application process" and use L1 Identity Solutions for fingerprinting, it will cost 10 dollars more, and take about 2 to 3 weeks, (sometimes less.)

If you do everything through your local law enforcement agency, it will take about 3 to 4 months for the same process; but save you $10.

Here is your document for the fast way; its TOTALLY worth it, in my opinion.

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/Instructions_for_the_Online_Application_Process_effective_July1_2011.pdf

As far as training, $200 isn't terrible for two classes, as far as I know. Sounds like you have a good basis, too, so you'll know how to make the most of what you learn.

Also sounds like you have a decent base of firearms to shoot, (full size autos, revolvers, sub-compacts,) so you know what style you like. That'll help you decide.

Best of luck with your adventure! Keep us posted!

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    $400 - Glock 19
    $50 - Mills Tactical hybrid holster
    $135 - LTCH with L-1 fingerprint fee
    $45 - Wilderness 5 stitch Instructor belt
    $50 - ammo

$680 total

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Hey All,

As a prospective LTCH holder, I was wondering, for those that don't mind sharing, how much is cost you to start carrying monetarily speaking?

I'm talking, cost of the gun(s), ammo, the LTCH itself, any training, club memberships, etc.

I'm not looking for an expense report, I'm just curious to find out what I'm looking at getting myself into. If you want to provide detail, it will be much appreciated, but I understand many people don't feel comfortable discussing their funds with their family, much less a complete stranger.

Thanks in advance.

$490 for the gun
    $175 for range membership (best become proficient)
    $160 for a good holster and belt
    $40 for 2 boxes of HD ammo
    $135 for lifetime LTCH (electronic path)

Ability to defense yourself at any time.........priceless........

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Just because you are on a budget is no reason to count out a 40 or 45, depending on what you have in mind. When I bought my first handgun, I wasnt exactly sitting on a mountain of cash, but I managed to find a used SA ultra compact for $400, out the door. It required a bit of polishing to look good, but it is probably one of my favorite CC pistols that I currently own.
    Figure out what you want, and start saving your money while looking for the deal that you can afford. Eventually the price and savings will meet, and you will have that pistol that you want, instead of settling for the one that you can afford right now. You will be happier in the long run, and probably be more proud of your purchase when you do make it.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I started carrying a couple years ago and all the pricing seems about right. But the guy that said buying guns is a bit addicting it is. I drive my wife crazy sometimes because I am always wanting something new. C'mon indy 1500.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Cost

LTCH permit $125
    Beretta tomcat 32acp $400 new (fit in your pocket)
    Target ammo $20
    Carry ammo $30
    Total cost $575
    Feeling of security $priceless
    These guns are plenty powerful and very reliable:twocents:

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    If you do your LTCH via the "online application process" and use L1 Identity Solutions for fingerprinting, it will cost 10 dollars more, and take about 2 to 3 weeks, (sometimes less.)

If you do everything through your local law enforcement agency, it will take about 3 to 4 months for the same process; but save you $10.

Here is your document for the fast way; its TOTALLY worth it, in my opinion.

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/Instructions_for_the_Online_Application_Process_effective_July1_2011.pdf

As far as training, $200 isn't terrible for two classes, as far as I know. Sounds like you have a good basis, too, so you'll know how to make the most of what you learn.

Also sounds like you have a decent base of firearms to shoot, (full size autos, revolvers, sub-compacts,) so you know what style you like. That'll help you decide.

Best of luck with your adventure! Keep us posted!

2-3 weeks??? It took mine 6 days to get into my hands from the moment I sent in my application..... L-1 Solutions gave me an appoiontment the day after I submitted my application.... After L-1 I went downtown the day after L-1 to finalize my process and pay the remaining balance..... and 3 days after I was downtown..... low and behold it was in the mailbox waiting for me after I got off work :D

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    Hey All,

As a prospective LTCH holder, I was wondering, for those that don't mind sharing, how much is cost you to start carrying monetarily speaking?

I'm talking, cost of the gun(s), ammo, the LTCH itself, any training, club memberships, etc.

I'm not looking for an expense report, I'm just curious to find out what I'm looking at getting myself into. If you want to provide detail, it will be much appreciated, but I understand many people don't feel comfortable discussing their funds with their family, much less a complete stranger.

Thanks in advance.

My cost:
    LTCH- $125
    Glock 27(New)- $425
    Belt(if you don't already have one)- $25
    Raven holster- $75
    Ammo(20rd box of carry ammo)- $20
    Ammo(50rd box of range ammo)- $15
    My Total- $$685

You could buy used items to bring down the cost, or you could start with much cheaper items but I decided I would rather spend the money for what I want now instead of buying a bunch of cheap junk and replacing it all down the road.

Last edited:

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Being a total gun n00b, I had to get everything:

~1,000 hours reading INGO & other sites to learn the differences between striker/hammer/transfer bar fired, grip/trigger/manual/internal/drop safeties, ballistics, etc.

$610 Springfield XDm .40
    $125 LTCH ($50 FWPD + $75 State)
    $85 IWB Holster
    $85 Belt
    $100 GunSafe
    $300 1000rds of practice ammo
    $100 100rds of hollow points (I've since learned to shop better...)
    $50 Cleaning supplies
    $40 Shoot'n'see targets & range charges

So...about $1500 to get going... I shot 500 rounds of the practice ammo & 60 rounds of the hollow points, under the close guidance of knowledgeable friends, before I began to carry.

The amount I spent on EDC is why my only rifle is an SKS so far. I felt EDC was much more important than having a fancy rifle hanging out in a closet safe.

PlinKing2392

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Avon
    Alright, I've been toying with this idea for a while. Let me know what you think.

Because I really liked the snubby and the lcp, I was thinking about getting a used kel tec pf9 AND a taurus 357. I understand that they are both cheap, and you get what you pay for, but as I'm on a budget, I figured I could spend the same amount on these two rather than a lump sum on one. That way, I could carry one or the other, or both.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Alright, I've been toying with this idea for a while. Let me know what you think.

Because I really liked the snubby and the lcp, I was thinking about getting a used kel tec pf9 AND a taurus 357. I understand that they are both cheap, and you get what you pay for, but as I'm on a budget, I figured I could spend the same amount on these two rather than a lump sum on one. That way, I could carry one or the other, or both.

You could do that and it would work just fine. But I have always been of the opinion that less is more at times. These guns used are going to run you about $450. For the same money you could buy a number of used guns. Heck you could even get a new SR9c or Smith & Wesson 642. If a person can only afford one handgun (and there is nothing wrong with that, afterall all we really need is one right?) why not buy something of a little better quality and resale value.

Top Bottom