• ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    My mother bought my father a new Super Blackhawk 44mag for $200 in 1987.
    Gunshop has them for $860 nowadays.
    :): Understood, but in my mind I was thinking about up close and personal self defense, not through my neighbors garage and out the wall to the bad guy.

Naw, in reality I was attempting to point out the lack of the modern defensive use revolver as a viable self defense weapon. That is, in the minds of the general police forces of America today. And quite honestly after Miami I can understand. But for Joe Sixpack????

Edit, wow on the -investment- :thumbsup:

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    Indy West Side
    I was thinking about this as not everyone has $800-2500 to put on a self-defense handgun.

This can be a good source of information for those seeking a reliable inexpensive self-defense handgun.

So what handgun do you personally have experience with that is reliable, and have had no malfunctions with at least 500rds fired including self-defense ammunition.

Post your experiences with the above criteria.

Make and model of firearm.

How many rounds of ammunition including self-defense ammunition you have fired without any malfunctions.

Ammo wise include the brand, weight of bullet, and type of bullet you used.
    Example:
    Federal 124gr FMJ
    Federal 124gr HST

Do you recommend it as an under $400 reliable self-defense handgun?
    A used Glock 19. Simple answer.

Relax_36

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Indianapolis
    If you stop by Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield you will find many brands of firearms for $400 or less as they are almost exclusively a used gun store. You will see Glock, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Walther, H&K etc and all of them will meet your price criteria. Myself I would snag the Sig P365 that’s used in the case right now for $399.00 and be the happiest of campers. A slightly used gun defends just as well as a new one for a lot less initial investment and allows you to get a better quality gun at your specified price point too.
    I can +1 this sentiment about Marksman Shooting Sports. Just picked up a "used" S&W Shield Plus Performance Center for $400. Had -maybe- 50rds through it, judging by the basically non-existant wear on the barrel and mags, trigger not even close to broken in yet. Marksman was awesome and easy to deal with, and the condition of what I bought somehow ended up being better in person than what I was expecting based off the photos. Supremely happy with my experience there, and glad to be back in the Shield Plus PC game on the cheap.

After I sold my last PC I missed it almost immediately. That thing ate everything I fed it with exactly 0 issues whatsoever over a couple thousand rounds. Lots of 115gr FMJ reloads, new 115gr target ammo, 147gr HST, 124gr Federal Punch, 124gr VCrowns, 115gr VCrowns, 115gr Sig 365 EDCs, 115gr Hornady Critical Defense, 135gr Hornady Critical Duty... I ran about everything I could think of through that 3.1" Performance Center, as well as another plain old Shield Plus and they both just kept on keeping on, nary a hiccup out of either.

The standard Shield Plus can frequently be found for under $400 new (though probably not the OR version at that price). I wouldn't hesitate to go with one of those if I were out of guns and only had a few benjamins to spend.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

$390
    FS

1716370079068.png

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Ya, was just wondering about the current price structure, noted none of the listed FBI testing data was for a revolver. I do know they also have their issues, but don’t see any testing data. :dunno:

Guess wheel guns have gone the way of the dinosaurs. :oldwise:
    I guess that makes me a caveman. I've purchased 4 revolvers in the last few months. Charter Arms Off Duty (better than expected), S&W 686+ w/lock & 442 w/o lock (both required some break-in), and a Taurus 856 Defender (still evaluating). The S&Ws were over $400. The CA & Taurus were under $400.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I guess that makes me a caveman. I've purchased 4 revolvers in the last few months. Charter Arms Off Duty (better than expected), S&W 686+ w/lock & 442 w/o lock (both required some break-in), and a Taurus 856 Defender (still evaluating). The S&Ws were over $400. The CA & Taurus were under $400.
    I’m also a caveman, carried a wheel gun most of my life. A lot of that time a j frame.

Knights1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2024
    Idaho
    1. CZ P10C. Currently around $380, may eventually make it's way above $400 again but still currently on the cheap side.

The Taurus G3C is also steadily under $400 and previosly my favorite gun under $400.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    1. CZ P10C. Currently around $380, may eventually make it's way above $400 again but still currently on the cheap side.

The Taurus G3C is also steadily under $400 and previosly my favorite gun under $400.
    G3x is a 15-17rd G3c.
    I have one, and it's really a good shooter. So far no problems with it. I have shot 124gr RMR HP, 147gr RN polymer coated from Summit City, and 147gr HST.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    I've got to go along with the Taurus G3c. I bought a G3c TORO about 3 years ago to use as a truck gun. By the time I got about a thousand rounds through it without a hiccup I decided to put it into my EDC rotation. Then I added a Holosun 407a3 x2 and retired the rest of my carry rotation (except my Sig P229 SAS gen 2 which I still carry on special occasions). I now have nearly 2000 fault free rounds through it.

Codyf44

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    Plainfield
    First carry I had was a .38 Snub nose taurus can be had cheap, my current carry is an OG shield 9mm with night sights, apex trigger (rid of the hinge trigger) TLR6/laser/light, Taran Tactical extended magIMG_9641.jpg

bold115uc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2024
    Milan
    Not often under 400 much anymore unless it’s a good sale (under 500 though consistently) but the Springfield XDM in 9mm is one of the few pistols I’ve shot that I can consistently group in a 1-2 inch circle at 25 yards or closer and is an excellent choice for defense.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Not often under 400 much anymore unless it’s a good sale (under 500 though consistently) but the Springfield XDM in 9mm is one of the few pistols I’ve shot that I can consistently group in a 1-2 inch circle at 25 yards or closer and is an excellent choice for defense.
    Welcome to INGO. Please click the link below and introduce yourself to the group.

Top Bottom