• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Not often under 400 much anymore unless it’s a good sale (under 500 though consistently) but the Springfield XDM in 9mm is one of the few pistols I’ve shot that I can consistently group in a 1-2 inch circle at 25 yards or closer and is an excellent choice for defense.
    Milan Ripley County? If so I'm about 5 miles south of you.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Not often under 400 much anymore unless it’s a good sale (under 500 though consistently) but the Springfield XDM in 9mm is one of the few pistols I’ve shot that I can consistently group in a 1-2 inch circle at 25 yards or closer and is an excellent choice for defense.
    I couldn't shoot a 2" group at 25 yards with any pistol ever made without a bench rest.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I couldn't shoot a 2" group at 25 yards with any pistol ever made without a bench rest.
    Don’t feel bad Bassat, I can’t either.
    I can't do it either and @d.kaufman got first hand experience of me trying to sight an rds at 25yards..ended up getting him to get it close for me. I've tried with standard sights at like 7 to 10yards and did pretty good. Rifle is different because the sights are alot further away and balance of a rifle is easier.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I can't do it either and @d.kaufman got first hand experience of me trying to sight an rds at 25yards..ended up getting him to get it close for me. I've tried with standard sights at like 7 to 10yards and did pretty good. Rifle is different because the sights are alot further away and balance of a rifle is easier.
    On a 9mm and I'd imagine most handguns 7yd zero will get you out to 70yds approximately just holding dead on with MRDS. I'd have to look at the ballistic calculator, but IIRC it will be very close.

Spartanmage

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2023
    Greenwood, IN
    For a compact pistol the M&P 2.0 in 9mm has been solid.

For a full size pistol in the last year or so I've been experimenting with the Girsan Regard MC (Beretta 92 clone). I recently saw it's price just over $400.00 but it varies.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    A used but in good condition S&W J frame revolver loaded with .38 spcl hollow points and you’ll have a very potent easily concealed CC firearm with ultimate reliability free from jams and stovepipes. My :twocents:!

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    A used but in good condition S&W J frame revolver loaded with .38 spcl hollow points and you’ll have a very potent easily concealed CC firearm with ultimate reliability free from jams and stovepipes. My :twocents:!
    Very few loads can generate enough velocity in a 1.875" barrel to reliable expand; if they do expand, they generally do not penetrate sufficiently. Shooting most HP ammo is about the same as shooting RNL, or FMJ. Stoke that J-frame with a good, stoutly loaded WC, and you'll have a defensive round that can penetrate, but does not expand... it doesn't need to. A wadcutter penetrating X inches will do more damage than RNL, or most HP ammo, also penetrating X inches. My primary load in 2" and 3" .38 Specials is Double Tap 148grain WadCutter. Speed strips are loaded w/158g SWC, for easier loading.
    First placement, then penetration, then expansion.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Very few loads can generate enough velocity in a 1.875" barrel to reliable expand; if they do expand, they generally do not penetrate sufficiently. Shooting most HP ammo is about the same as shooting RNL, or FMJ. Stoke that J-frame with a good, stoutly loaded WC, and you'll have a defensive round that can penetrate, but does not expand...

I carry Gold Dots because I'm required to carry expanding ammo, else I'd carry WC in my LCR. That said, +P will expand, I've personally seen it do so from multiple snubbies. Penetration tends to be adequate but on the shallow side of it. A good sharp shouldered SWC hard cast works well, too, and is easier to load *but* tends to be higher recoil. Both are excellent options, just depends on what you value more.

Unexpanded HP maintain one advantage over ball, and that's with bone strikes. It's a bit more resistant to skipping/riding bone, but not as resistant as SWC or WC where the sharp shoulder is excellent at helping the bullet "catch" and penetrate vs skip or ride.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I carry Gold Dots because I'm required to carry expanding ammo, else I'd carry WC in my LCR. That said, +P will expand, I've personally seen it do so from multiple snubbies. Penetration tends to be adequate but on the shallow side of it. A good sharp shouldered SWC hard cast works well, too, and is easier to load *but* tends to be higher recoil. Both are excellent options, just depends on what you value more.

Unexpanded HP maintain one advantage over ball, and that's with bone strikes. It's a bit more resistant to skipping/riding bone, but not as resistant as SWC or WC where the sharp shoulder is excellent at helping the bullet "catch" and penetrate vs skip or ride.
    I don't know much (anything?) about +P ammo. I don't use it. My Charter Arms is not rated for +P, so I don't bother with it in the 442 or 856 Defender.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    $377

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Very few JHP will expand reliably from a J-frame short barrel. The velocity just is not there to drive expansion. You'd be better off, and better armed, to stoke that 1.88" barrel with a 148gr Wadcutter. Both Georgia Arms and Double Tap load such a round to just north of 700 fps. Still no expansion, but you get superb penetration. I use both; they shoot to point of aim at 7 yards.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    LEO TRADE-IN GLOCK 22 GEN 4 .40S&W HANDGUN W/ NIGHT SIGHTS
    $280

View attachment 361792

GLOCK MODEL 22 15RD .40CAL MAGAZINE USED LEO
    $10

That actually is a pretty good deal since the Gen 4 G22's dual recoil spring actually does better at taming the 40's recoil and increasing the overall durability of the pistol or from my experience anyway.

I honestly wish I still had my early gen 4 G22 with the frying pan gen 3 finish.

Top Bottom