What is the Alt-Right? Maybe you should ask one.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    They seem to get some things right but a lot wrong. In the article they describe themselves as white nationalists. I vehemently disagree with the nationalist/protectionist/White supremacist rhetoric. How exactly is one supposed to take "We must secure the existence of white people and a future for white children" other than overtly racist? Is keeping our Aryan blood pure in any way an acceptable platform?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    They seem to get some things right but a lot wrong. In the article they describe themselves as white nationalists. I vehemently disagree with the nationalist/protectionist/White supremacist rhetoric. How exactly is one supposed to take "We must secure the existence of white people and a future for white children" other than overtly racist? Is keeping our Aryan blood pure in any way an acceptable platform?

I am hoping...hoping, that a lot of the "defense" of what is described in the OP article is based upon "the enemy of my enemy is my friend". Stalin was an indispensable ally at one time, but we didn't adopt his philosophy.

I think the real question is whether many people calling themselves alt.right have any idea about what is contained in that blog, or do they simply not want to be associated with traditional (old) conservatives, libertarians or anything vaguely establishment? Is the alt.right just a "flavor of the month" for anti-liberals?

Oh, and piecemeal defense of some points while questioning if the others really mean what they say...c'mon. I think this guy picked up some INGO love with the #1, particularly, "neocons are not alt.right"....and infatuated eyes glaze over the "white power" undercurrent.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I don't take offense to much. I didn't understand the reference then. Now that I do, this is completely out of line. Can you point to a post where I've ever treated you with such contempt?

Well, no real offense was meant. It was a snarky reply to your prior snarky comment.

And a picture doesn't explain who the brown shirts were and probably misleads those who don't know any real history prior to WWII. The Sturmabteilung were "disbanded" in 1934 (see "night of the long knives" for more info). However, the parallels to the reactionary forces present in today's GOP, particularly Alt-right and 1488, are more than random similarity.

They are an enemy of democracy and worth more watching than a snark.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Im on my phone, but if it's Spencer, then yes, he first coined the term.

Just a side note: I don't know if Spencer coined the term or not, but even assuming he did: I see lots of mention (elsewhere from INGO) of him as the "founder" of the alt-right. I'm fairly certain that the various entities that comprise the alt-right did not originate from any one person, Spencer or otherwise.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Does anybody know just how many people actually subscribe to these views? Are they growing in numbers or just the usual suspects by another name?

I'm wondering if this is something actually worth all the free publicity they have been getting lately (and I mean the media attention, not the Ingo attention).

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Does anybody know just how many people actually subscribe to these views? Are they growing in numbers or just the usual suspects by another name?

I'm wondering if this is something actually worth all the free publicity they have been getting lately (and I mean the media attention, not the Ingo attention).

I suspect that these are just the new generation of White Power idiots trying to rebrand themselves as an intellectual movement. Of course the media would love to claim they are a large and growing Trump-inspired group, but I doubt that's true. Unfortunately, I suspect that some people latched onto the "right" part without taking a close look at what made them "alt".

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I suspect that these are just the new generation of Whit Power idiots trying to rebrand themselves as an intellectual movement. Of course the media would love to claim they are a large and growing Trump-inspired group, but I doubt that's true. Unfortunately, I suspect that some people latched onto the "right" part without taking a close look at what made them "alt".

It's a good rebrand (for them). Clean cut guys, well dressed, intelligent guys, white high and tights? It's much more attractive than the tattooed Neo-Nazis running through the streets waving flags, and throwing out offensive language. The guys that buy into the Alt-Right, are the SS, and the Neo-Nazis the SA.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I suspect that these are just the new generation of White Power idiots trying to rebrand themselves as an intellectual movement. Of course the media would love to claim they are a large and growing Trump-inspired group, but I doubt that's true. Unfortunately, I suspect that some people latched onto the "right" part without taking a close look at what made them "alt".

The problem is Bannon. As a senior advisor to Trump, alt-right IS a big deal. Validation of their views exists in the West Wing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The problem is Bannon. As a senior advisor to Trump, alt-right IS a big deal. Validation of their views exists in the West Wing.

First of all, I think Bannon never actually gets put up for confirmation. Second, I don't see any evidence that Bannon was a true-believer. He was a cynical user at most, but he should go.

Top Bottom